Funny Green Day Story

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Just at my friends house and he told me this story...Just wanted to share because im bored:

He was a freshman and american idiot just came out. A girl walks into his class and is wearing a GD shirt, with the heart bomb on it and stuff. He asks "Hey you like Green Day" and she replies,"Yea they are the new best band out". My friends stays like :shock: :shock: . "WTF are u talking about". Yea they just came out with american idiot and its the shit. He was like "uve never heard of dookie? basket case? minority? brain stew? 1039 smoothed slappy hours?" She was like "nope."

At that moment my friend wanted well to slap the girl, not just because she looked like a retard with the emo hair, too much eyeliner,tight ass pants, but because she had never heard of green day. Then he disliked green day because he realized that they just went with the fad of using the government or something like that. Now he really hates american idiot, but listen to the old stuff a little.

Yep.

I'm bored :lol: :lol: .... :cry:
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
SGarrett

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:47 pm

Green Day comes from Berkley. Being against the government is nothing new in that area. ;)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
mead50
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:55 pm

yea....i guess he was so used to songs like longview or waiting or something like that...he didnt want for green day to go in that direction

in my opinion, i wish they didnt go in that direction, but it already happened and i still love the band, one of my favorite bands, i love 1039 smoothed slappy hours, and kerplunk, and dookie, and...well all the albums :P
Tama Superstar Custom Accel Driver
Zildjian Cymbals
Tama Hardware
Remo Heads
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:58 pm

Being against the government is a new thing for Green Day really though, they were never particularly political before American Idiot

Still, regardless of what they're coming out with now (which isn't all bad), at least we still have Insomniac and Nimrod to hold dear. My two personal favourites, anyway.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:34 am

I dont care what anyone says, greenday (in all stages of their carreer) are one of the best bands around. They were the biggest band around in 94 and again in the new millenium without ever having released a mediocre record in between. That's note worthy right there.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:41 am

American Idiot is their worst album in my opinion though it does have some awesome tracks. Letterbomb is a beast
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
SGarrett

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 am

I guess being from California gives me a little different insight. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:27 am

He asks "Hey you like Green Day" and she replies,"Yea they are the new best band out"

Haha, man I know so many people like that, hilarious really. Never really the biggest Green Day fan, Billie Joe wants to be Joe Strummer pretty badly.
TheLoneGunman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:06 am

mead50 wrote:Just at my friends house and he told me this story...Just wanted to share because im bored:

He was a freshman and american idiot just came out. A girl walks into his class and is wearing a GD shirt, with the heart bomb on it and stuff. He asks "Hey you like Green Day" and she replies,"Yea they are the new best band out". My friends stays like :shock: :shock: . "WTF are u talking about". Yea they just came out with american idiot and its the shit. He was like "uve never heard of dookie? basket case? minority? brain stew? 1039 smoothed slappy hours?" She was like "nope."

At that moment my friend wanted well to slap the girl, not just because she looked like a retard with the emo hair, too much eyeliner,tight ass pants, but because she had never heard of green day. Then he disliked green day because he realized that they just went with the fad of using the government or something like that. Now he really hates american idiot, but listen to the old stuff a little.

Yep.

I'm bored :lol: :lol: .... :cry:

Yo man, I'm gonna preface this by saying that what I'm about to say is more rhetorical than against you personally. Although this post has brought this out of me a bit. It's a problem that I see with everyone, not just you, so don't take this personally.

But stop hating people for the music they like. It's trite, condescending, hypocritical, and just all around bad for business. Wanting to slap the girl because she doesn't know the whole history of Green Day is like me wanting to slap you because you can't play the clave with your left foot.

Not everyone has the perfect view of the musical spectrum. How can she know all the great music in the world in she's not heard it? How can one know if the music they listen to is bad if they've not heard good music? This girl is a perfect opportunity. Make her a mixed tape, I'm mean CD-R, of some of Green Day's old music. Let her know, of other bands that you find cool. Hell, start a damn band, make a CD, and give her that.

mead50 wrote:yea....i guess he was so used to songs like longview or waiting or something like that...he didnt want for green day to go in that direction

in my opinion, i wish they didnt go in that direction, but it already happened and i still love the band, one of my favorite bands, i love 1039 smoothed slappy hours, and kerplunk, and dookie, and...well all the albums :P

if you've ever been in a band that has lasted a long time. You will come to find out that the music you make has to change man. It's inevitable. People grow and their likes and dislikes become different. They're human just like everyone else, they're not record making machines. Don't criticize someone for something you yourself can't do. That's your quote of the day, lol

Eliminator wrote:Never really the biggest Green Day fan, Billie Joe wants to be Joe Strummer pretty badly.

Do you know Billie Joe personally? Then how can you make any kind of assumption about someone on a personal level. I've become friends with quite a few people that are famous, and tour around the country, and one thing these guys all have in common. Is that they're human, flesh and bone, just like you and me. Don't mistake the art for the artist.

SGarrett wrote:Green Day comes from Berkley. Being against the government is nothing new in that area. ;)

Whadup Scott. I figured since I was quoting everyone I'll throw you in too. Peace bro.

Okay it's all the same with Fall Out Boy, The Jonas Brothers, Travis Barker, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Guitar Hero etc etc. People will not share your view, in fact people will have an opposite view of you. To me it's a sign of immaturity both on a human being level, and a musician level to hate on people for having a different view of you. A real sign of being a mature musician is when you stop, to a large degree, being a fan of music, to becoming a preveaor of music. When you're trying to make a living playing music you need everyone to support you and give you money. That includes all the emo kids with the bad hair cuts that in 30 years they'll all look back and go, what the hell was I thinking?

So to sum it all up. People, don't hate; participate.

Now I'm going to go think about whether me posting this is hypocritical, but all I'm trying to do is help make the world a better place and help you all grow as humans. But I'm not above needing to grow as a human myself.

much luv,
TheLoneGunman
My Gear:

Shine Defenition Series Drum Set
Shine Mike Johnston Signature Snare
Saluda Cymbals

http://www.myspace.com/xthelonegunmanx == friend me and say hi

Drumming is Fun!
SGarrett

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:02 am

Well said, bro. Very well said.

There's far too much hate against music here for the sheer number of musicians. When I was working in the store that Mike used to teach in, I met all manner of professional musicians. I remember the day I met Chino from The Deftones and Coby from P. Roach. They were both completely normal dudes, just trying to make a living doing what they love. Something I'm sure all of us here would like to do, get paid handsomely to play music. I can't hate on any of these guys, even if I don't necessarily like the music, because they're out there doing it.

Yeah, trendy people suck. So what? I'll tell you all what, if people wanted to follow my band like that I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. The last thing I would do is pull some kind of crap attitude about how I'm better because I've been listening to them longer. Like TheGunman said, expose them to even more of the artist's music.

As for the topic, I've been listening to Green Day for about 15 years and performed my first Green Day cover 13 years ago. I wonder how long some of you have been listening to them? I wonder how you'd like it if I copped an attitude about that? I mean, I heard of them first and have been listening to them longer, so I must have the right? Right? Wrong. It sucks when you're on the other side doesn't it?
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:04 am

SGarrett wrote:I guess being from California gives me a little different insight. :)

Oh Christ, not again.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:06 am

Nevertheless, it's always a laugh slagging off your least favourite bands. Im sure most people in bands have a good ol laugh at some of the local bands around their area :lol:
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:07 am

For the record, there isn't a Green Day album I don't like, maybe I should've put 'least good' about American Idiot. I've been listening to Green Day for about 10 years I'd say, they've always been one of the bands I like no matter what my musical 'phase' may be at that time.

I remember seeing a video of them play 'St Jimmy' live on YouTube, and being particularly impressed even though it's not one of their 'classics'.

In short, I like Green Day :)
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:44 am

here's a funny green day story

way back when, green day played in my friend ruben's living room in corpus christi. they were on lookout records.

there was maybe 20-30 people there including the band all crammed in getting drunk and blazed, the living room was smoky.

they played great and were super nice and stayed the night, as did many.

they were really scuzzed out from touring around in a van.

billy joe is REALLY tiny.

the end
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:35 am

SGarrett wrote:Well said, bro. Very well said.

There's far too much hate against music here for the sheer number of musicians. When I was working in the store that Mike used to teach in, I met all manner of professional musicians. I remember the day I met Chino from The Deftones and Coby from P. Roach. They were both completely normal dudes, just trying to make a living doing what they love. Something I'm sure all of us here would like to do, get paid handsomely to play music. I can't hate on any of these guys, even if I don't necessarily like the music, because they're out there doing it.

Yeah, trendy people suck. So what? I'll tell you all what, if people wanted to follow my band like that I'd be laughing all the way to the bank. The last thing I would do is pull some kind of crap attitude about how I'm better because I've been listening to them longer. Like TheGunman said, expose them to even more of the artist's music.

As for the topic, I've been listening to Green Day for about 15 years and performed my first Green Day cover 13 years ago. I wonder how long some of you have been listening to them? I wonder how you'd like it if I copped an attitude about that? I mean, I heard of them first and have been listening to them longer, so I must have the right? Right? Wrong. It sucks when you're on the other side doesn't it?

i'v been listening to green day for about 13 years. kerplunk is my favorite. But I also absolutely love warning. They havent put out anything i didnt like till american idiot.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion