Help Deciding On A Birthday Gift

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Middletown, New Yolk

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Well since They Might Be Giants screwed me over by raising their age limit for a nearby concert, it's time to decide what I should get my for birthday.
(Birthday is 9/25!)

Should I get:
1) A DW Snare Drum
2) A Big Saluda Trade
3) Drum Mics and a Mixer

Help me out?

EDIT: This is what I have:
A Ludwig Accent 4-Piece set.
18" Sabian B8 Crash
20" Sabian B8 Ride
14" Sabian B8 Hi-Hats
12" and 18" Saluda Voodoo Traditional China
6" Saluda V-Bell
18" Saluda Earthworks Dark Crash
A Shure SM58 and a Shure SM57. Great sound!
Last edited by JasonDeLima on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 am

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Great you should post this topic because Sunday is my birthday. It sounds like you have considerable money to spend. You didn;t state what you already had so it's hard to say what to buy, if you have good snare and cymbals, then go with the mics. If not I'd go with a good snare, always a good sound investment.
User avatar
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Middletown, New Yolk

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Airborne Ranger wrote:Great you should post this topic because Sunday is my birthday. It sounds like you have considerable money to spend. You didn;t state what you already had so it's hard to say what to buy, if you have good snare and cymbals, then go with the mics. If not I'd go with a good snare, always a good sound investment.

I'm sorry! Let me edit my post.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
User avatar
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 am

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:32 pm

I'd say save it and wait until suddenly you NEED something as opposed to want something and then you have the cash, kerrching!

Failing that as I suspect you're like me and money burns a hole in your pocket, a nice snare would be a good investment as Airborne said!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all DMLers and associated girl/boyfriends etcetera. I'm in a good mood, can ya tell :D
User avatar
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Middletown, New Yolk

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Rob Crisp wrote:I'd say save it and wait until suddenly you NEED something as opposed to want something and then you have the cash, kerrching!

Failing that as I suspect you're like me and money burns a hole in your pocket, a nice snare would be a good investment as Airborne said!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all DMLers and associated girl/boyfriends etcetera. I'm in a good mood, can ya tell :D

Well here's the thing. I can make my parents get me anything I want for my birthday.
A new drumkit's out of the question, I got my first kit in Feb.
And If I ask for a giftcard, I'm only getting $50, where I could be getting something worth $600.
I'm really leaning towards the snare. I've wanted a DW kit my whole life.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
User avatar
Opopanax
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Northeast US

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm

You can never have too many snare drums! But, are you happy with your cymbals now?

My birthday is on Monday; I'm getting myself more hi-hats & more lessons :D

You can never have too many sets of hi-hats!!
User avatar
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Middletown, New Yolk

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Opopanax wrote:You can never have too many snare drums! But, are you happy with your cymbals now?

My birthday is on Monday; I'm getting myself more hi-hats & more lessons :D

You can never have too many sets of hi-hats!!

Ha ha. You're funny. Happy Birthday Airborne Ranger and Opopanax!
I can live with my cymbals as of right now. I do plan to have a snare drum collection as I grow up, so I seriously am leaning towards the DW.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
User avatar
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 am

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:41 pm

JasonDeLima wrote:
Rob Crisp wrote:I'd say save it and wait until suddenly you NEED something as opposed to want something and then you have the cash, kerrching!

Failing that as I suspect you're like me and money burns a hole in your pocket, a nice snare would be a good investment as Airborne said!

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all DMLers and associated girl/boyfriends etcetera. I'm in a good mood, can ya tell :D

Well here's the thing. I can make my parents get me anything I want for my birthday.
A new drumkit's out of the question, I got my first kit in Feb.
And If I ask for a giftcard, I'm only getting $50, where I could be getting something worth $600.
I'm really leaning towards the snare. I've wanted a DW kit my whole life.


All I can say is you have some stellar parents there my man! Tell them you love them and go play a load of snares. Then pick the one you like the sound of most! 8)
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:01 pm

yeah, don't limit yourself before choosing. it could be that some brand you haven't even considered is the one.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 am

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Another thing to think about is used gear, you can probably get 2 or even 3 great snares for the price of a new DW. Are you looking at a metal or wood drum? What size? Of course you can give your parents a break financially and be happy with a gift card.
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:40 pm

if you record often I'd say get the mics other than that I'd say get the snare and save up for more cymbals.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
User avatar
tapeworm97
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: El Paso, TECHSUS

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:53 pm

LOL i love your signature alan! :lol:
<img src="http://www.freemyspacegraphics.com/Graphics/Funny_Animations/images/funny_myspace.gif">