Punk Tutorial

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:16 pm

here's a vid from one of my top 3: the mighty Didjits

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Htsxm02JS8Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Htsxm02JS8Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 pm

and another one: these guys freakin rocked!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p22hynPFzaQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p22hynPFzaQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Rise Against and Anti-Flag. These bands are what I listen to when I want to listen to punk, I've grown totally tired of these musically illiterate punkers who just make noise and doesn't really sing nor work for change. There are probably a lot more bands that deserve my recognition, but out of all the punk bands I've listened to these are the only ones who are really "true" to my definition of what a punk band should be like. Of course, most of you will disagree, but to me punk is about working for change :)

edit: I'll add Refused too!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm

check out some of those videos.

I've watched that bad brains vid at least 3 times since posting...
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:22 pm

So Is The Drummer wrote:im down with lagwagon also...good drummer.

Dave Raun is incredible. Derrick Pollard was good too but I prefer Dave.

Sarcasm mentioning the Lawrence Arms (awesome band) reminded me of another newer Fat band, the Loved Ones.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:32 pm

also, nofx's drummer is a monster.
Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:00 am

eml wrote:Rise Against and Anti-Flag. These bands are what I listen to when I want to listen to punk, I've grown totally tired of these musically illiterate punkers who just make noise and doesn't really sing nor work for change. There are probably a lot more bands that deserve my recognition, but out of all the punk bands I've listened to these are the only ones who are really "true" to my definition of what a punk band should be like. Of course, most of you will disagree, but to me punk is about working for change :)

edit: I'll add Refused too!

Old anti-flag was amazing, but they've gone to shit now and aren't what a true punk band should be about. I don't listen to their new music because it's garbage. Anti-Flag may seem to be intelligent but they really just spew the same garbage out over and over again. My cousin interviewed them for her radio station and she said they were nice guys but their argument against bush pretty much could be summed up in "Bush sucks, blah blah blah, I hate Bush". Their quality has really gone down hill and all they seem to like doing now is try and appeal to 16 year old green day fans.

If you want a really politically aware, mature band check out the Street Dogs. Their lead singer Mike Mcolgan was in the military and was a firefighter. The Fading American Dream, which is almost completely anti-war themed, is a lot more informed and intelligent then anti-flag, as Mike is a veteran and speaks from experience about the horrors of war. As well, they're just a kick ass punk band.

Alan, I really do agree with you. Smelly from NOFX is an amazing drummer. One of my favourites. I also really like Meggers from the Casualties. There are a lot of great punk drummers out there who don't get the credit because most people write punk off as just being noise.

some bands you guys should check out from my area that could use the recognition are:

The Nummies These guys are awesome, old school hardcore style. The drummer Tom is so good. He was also in a D-Beat band that recently broke up that was just killer. He deserves a lot of props for his drumming in my opinion.

Machine Gun Dolly Really good 90's style punk band, in the vein of Time Again, Rancid, Social Distortion

The Zero Hours Really good street punk. Awesome guys, they opened for the Casualties and Krum Bums along with my old band.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/theriptides[/url]The Riptides[/url] Awesome old school style 77 punk. Probably Ottawa's best known band, they've done a couple tours of the States.

The Rookers Ottawa's best Oi! Band.

Union MadeMontreal Hardcore

The Sewer Rats Another band from Ottawa with an amazing drummer. Old School Hardcore Punk, very Dead Kennedy's/Black Flag influenced.