The Contract Is Signed and Sent!!!

General discussion about anything!

Moderator: Moderators

Sean Fracture
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:51 am

Awesome stuff dude! So glad to hear it. You won't have any problems with SD, Chris is a brilliant guy and genuinely just in it for the music. Can't wait for the album.
The Ocean Fracture

These little earthquakes are your confession.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:53 am

congrats! i hope your label is as cool as ours is!
Last edited by iatemygoat on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:41 am

thanks everybody...i cant tell you how much i appreciate it and how grateful i am to be a part of this community. :D
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 am

Way cool. Getting to the "top" is relatively simple. Staying there is a real bitch. :)

Go listen to "Suit Fugue" by Kevin Gilbert on the "Shaming of the True" album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_pczrUug4

That's pretty much it. ;)
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 am

youtube is blocked in my office, but i definitely will when i get home.
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:07 am

Yeah, we got a distribution deal that is similar to yours I'm guessing. We own the songs, the name, etc. and after a few years we renegotiate if they want to continue to distribute our CD. Is your label also helping you band to promote and book shows? Have they provided a tour manager and any sort of tour budget for your band? Ours isn't. Its strictly distribution. That's what a lot of smaller labels are doing these days. Nowhere near the support bands used to get. At least our CD is in Best Buy, Hastings and Amazon, though.
yee freakin' haw
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 am

i would like to think they would help us out in those ways (probably excluding a tour budget/manager), but it doesnt really say anything about it in the contract. they would probably be able to help a lot more if we lived in the uk, but we're on the other side of the pond. i'd like to think we've done a pretty fair job of managing ourselves so far although we havent hit the road too hard yet either. we're pretty lucky in that we live pretty much right in between nyc and philly so our show prospects are pretty good without having to leave home. nonetheless, i am very much looking forward to hitting the road when the time is right.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Sounds like a distribution contract to me. Especially if you've already recorded and paid for your CD to be made. You'll still have to do most of the hard work yourself. Be prepared to pay a record promoter $3000 a song to get you some airplay, and be prepared to find a booking agent and pay him/her 10-15% out of your pockets as well. The label you're on may be able to help you out with some UK tour dates and airplay over there, but they probably don't have much pull with any of the radio stations or bigger venues/clubs here in the US. I'm guessing we have pretty much the same kind of deal as yall. We're still DIY except for getting the CD into stores. That doesn't help at all though if no one knows who you are. Look at it as a stepping stone. That's probably the best case scenario. Not trying to rain on your parade, just relating my similar experiences for your (and anyone else's) benefit. We got over 17,000 radio spins on one song from our album last year, but we still haven't seen much money....My ass is still always broke.
yee freakin' haw
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:25 pm

i said it once and ill say it again...i appreciate any words of wisdom you or anyone else can impart man, truly. we have already recorded, but we're not paying for the pressing. instead of giving us money for records sold, they're sending us a portion of CDs and vinyls to sell ourselves. trust me, we're under no delusions of grandeur. like i said in the first post, this is hopefully just the beginning. another way to put it would be we still have a ways to go. as it turns out, i have a relative who was chief engineer of a major nyc radio station which i believe now works for NPR. even still, our shortest song is more than 8 minutes so without a radio edit, getting on any legit radio station is undoubtedly out of the question. regardless, the info about the promoter and booking agent is good to know. i just didnt think the music we make would ever earn us any kind of deal whatsoever and one of my few goals in life has been to earn a deal.
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:30 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:Way cool. Getting to the "top" is relatively simple. Staying there is a real bitch. :)

Go listen to "Suit Fugue" by Kevin Gilbert on the "Shaming of the True" album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp_pczrUug4

That's pretty much it. ;)

hahahaha nice! i had some trouble following all the layers of words, but i got the jist of it.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:55 pm

So Is The Drummer wrote:i said it once and ill say it again...i appreciate any words of wisdom you or anyone else can impart man, truly. we have already recorded, but we're not paying for the pressing. instead of giving us money for records sold, they're sending us a portion of CDs and vinyls to sell ourselves. trust me, we're under no delusions of grandeur. like i said in the first post, this is hopefully just the beginning. another way to put it would be we still have a ways to go. as it turns out, i have a relative who was chief engineer of a major nyc radio station which i believe now works for NPR. even still, our shortest song is more than 8 minutes so without a radio edit, getting on any legit radio station is undoubtedly out of the question. regardless, the info about the promoter and booking agent is good to know. i just didnt think the music we make would ever earn us any kind of deal whatsoever and one of my few goals in life has been to earn a deal.

Buddy, I don't want you to think I'm not happy for you. I am, to say the least. And it seems like you have the right attitude for this business (not that I'm an expert on the music industry, as I've already said, I'm a broke ass bastard). Eight minutes is a long time for a song, but hell, look at Rush, and most progressive music for that matter. Sometimes it takes more than 3 minutes to express your ideas. It can be worth it, but a lot of bands starve to death trying to retain that level of expression. That being said, I believe Willie Nelson once said that if a band can stick together for 10 years or more, success is bound to find them. As long as you're having fun, its worth it. And even sometimes when its not fun, you gotta keep your mind on the bigger picture. Just keep on truckin, dude.
yee freakin' haw
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 pm

it's all good man. it was more along the lines of me tryin to express that what you had to say wasnt upsetting to me or made me feel any better or worse about my going-ons :) . you were just bein realistic. im sure there's more bands starving out there than there should be. thats why im keepin my day job until the day comes that i dont have to anymore (if it comes at all). i do have fun, and one of the things i like a lot about the music i play with this band is that it pushes me to work hard and create harder if that makes any sense.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

let me be the first to say this: getting free copies to sell yourself is AWESOME. You can take them on tour, stock them in local shops on consignment...I don't care what Ian Mackaye from Fugazi says, selling merch on tour is a great moneymaker. He stated it meant you had to carry along someone and pay them to manage the merch booth, but we'd always just sell the stuff ourselves. gives people a chance to chat you up as well. I remember when I'd go to see Firehose and Mike Watt would be working the merch booth. Now THAT is a working musician!
Manzo
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:23 pm

congrats bro!!! enjoy it!
Troy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:51 am

nice one man :D
" You wanna get high? "