Tips for: Chops and Speed.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mitchell? » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Bong wrote:Chops refers to ones arsenal of beats.

+1. A lot of kids just use it interchangeably with 'skills' too.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby mattsmith » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:14 am

Here's my new traditional grip world record for single strokes, recorded June 26, 2008 in Nashville, TN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGS1uBthO4

I know some people have a problem with this, but just know I'm NOT going to debate you. Have the opinion you want to have. But if you want to see it here it is.

Thanks,

Matt
mattsmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby fullmetaldrummer87 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 pm

I know somebody mentioned Tony Laureano a couple pages back.

I remember seeing him play with Dimmu Borgir at Ozzfest 2004. I was rather disappointed with his performance and I thought he was sloppy as all hell and made me wish even more that they never got rid of Barker. (it's cool though, Hellhammer is pretty good) But I listen to some of the stuff on Tony's myspace page and he's pretty good on cd.

Maybe he was just having a really bad day when I saw him play with Dimmu. Afterall, it is Ozzfest, it's 90 degrees and not exactly an ideal climate to be playing extreme music in, dressed in "black metal attire."
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby I love Cheese and drums » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:44 pm

HowePirate I am lovin this post I just recently got a "good" double pedal and this is great for me.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Re: Tips for: Chops and Speed.

Postby kndrummer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:30 pm

is there any chop and speed excercises for us single pedal users, yeah Roddy is a beast, but i would to improve single pedal technique rather than double bass. Something like Derico Watson and Jojo Mayer. They are maestros of the single bass pedal.
kndrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby Howepirate » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 pm

kndrummer wrote:is there any chop and speed excercises for us single pedal users, yeah Roddy is a beast, but i would to improve single pedal technique rather than double bass. Something like Derico Watson and Jojo Mayer. They are maestros of the single bass pedal.

Search "Mike Johnston" in youtube.
Howepirate

Postby kndrummer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Howe and i have heard as well as seen Mike Johnston. One word- Talented-
Peace
kndrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby TheYardstick » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm

Doubles between one hand and one foot.

I also do the bass shuffle where you do 8ths on your hats and 2 and 4 on the snare and doubles on bass. Not the best explanation, but if you want to hear what I'm trying to explain, look at the solo section of The Mob Goes Wild by Clutch. Practicing that along with d-beats has really improved my single pedal speed to the point that I only use my 2 bass drums if I'm playing more than 3-4 notes in a row at a fast speed.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Postby possumofdestruction » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:23 pm

wheres doese's videos, he promised some over a year ago?!
bash, bang, slam, whatever, yeah, ima drummer.
possumofdestruction
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Alan_ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:25 pm

TheYardstick wrote:Doubles between one hand and one foot.

this. also, take stick control and break it up between your left hand and right foot. Then, your left hand and left foot. then, both feet. just because you're playing single kick doesn't mean you can't incorporate your left foot into fills on the hihat.

Also, I like to do the "gadd sextuplet double stroke" where you do a double between both hands and your right foot. RRLLFF or LLRRFF or RRFFLL etc.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Re:

Postby Damagedrummer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:49 pm

fullmetaldrummer87 wrote:I know somebody mentioned Tony Laureano a couple pages back.

I remember seeing him play with Dimmu Borgir at Ozzfest 2004. I was rather disappointed with his performance and I thought he was sloppy as all hell and made me wish even more that they never got rid of Barker. (it's cool though, Hellhammer is pretty good) But I listen to some of the stuff on Tony's myspace page and he's pretty good on cd.

Maybe he was just having a really bad day when I saw him play with Dimmu. Afterall, it is Ozzfest, it's 90 degrees and not exactly an ideal climate to be playing extreme music in, dressed in "black metal attire."

I heard alot of bad things about his live playing with Dimmu at the time. On cd however I think he's one of the best deathmetal drummers out there. Maybe not so much in tightness, like Kollias for example, but all the more in feel and originality. I love his playing on Nile's "In their darkend shrines". It's just, besides wickedly fast (Churning the Maelstrom), really loose, like he just got in the studio, played that shit and got out a few hours later, to watch some football. It probably didn't go like that, but I still think he's a underestimated drummer when it comes to arrangements and stuff.
taataataataatatatatadakadakadakadakadak!
Damagedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dannycareyisgod » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:20 am

Sweet posts! However, I don't see much of the tips that are provided. I feel like over the years my single stroke speed and chops have gotten slower, yet stronger in other ways. Any tips for me?
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby rachard1583 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:46 am

Running up and down the scale may be a great way to get our fingers programmed for it and build a little speed, but it's not exactly musical is it? In order to get the very best sounds from the scale, you will want to learn a few simple techniques. The first is called sliding, and simple involves sliding your finger from one note in the scale to another. This creates a very smooth fluid sound, and can add some subtle class to your playing.
rachard1583
new
new

Postby Elyse99 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:44 am

I've finally been able to play seriously again after a grueling 4 months of calculus, basement renovations, and being down with a cold, and I when I sat down on the kit, I realized that I couldn't play certain songs that I used to be able to flawlessly. I have difficulty keeping hi-hat speed in Tom Sawyer, which used to be for me effortless. Even worse, I can't survive the measures in Rise Against's Give It All where you play fast 8th notes on the hi-hats (as opposed to the usual quarter notes).

It's a really disappointment and bummer that I can't play a lot of the songs or use super fast fills that used to be my "trademark" amongst my friends. Do I just need more practice? Am I forcing too much out of my arms or using bad technique? I've been watching a lot of Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer, and I'm about 99% sure my technique is sufficient.
Elyse99
new
new

Previous

Return to General Drum Set Discussion