Tips for: Chops and Speed.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby I love Cheese and drums » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 am

That guy is really fast! He's a really good metal drummer.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby drumur » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Straight 8s in 6/8, but use this sticking: R L R L R L / R L L R R L / L R L R L R / L R R L L R (repeat)
speeds around 120-140 (for a dotted quarter) will force you to control the doubles, as opposed to just throwing them into the drum and hoping that they bounce in time.

Yeah... they're 6 stroke rolls R L L R R L
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drummerlars » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Another excellent (but not metal in any way) drummer is Jojo Mayer. I strongly recommend his new DVD "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer." He's funny, well spoken, and knows what he's talking about.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLQMFIueUyc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VLQMFIueUyc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPziX7eG3Mk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WPziX7eG3Mk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Lars
drummerlars
new
new

Speed Kills

Postby Drummerjimi » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:26 pm

WOW! Can ya play any faster. People tell me I'm fast. But I feel like I'm in SLOW MO!!!!
[/img]
Drummerjimi
new
new

Postby mattsmith » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:47 pm

I just posted this in the forum member videos, but I'll delete that one and reprint here since it seems here is more appropriate.

It seems like my stuff always comes out in pairs with a personal project on one end and a WFD thing on the other. Today I was playing vibes with a piano player I really liked and we decided to record some things tomorrow and maybe post immediately. In the meantime this just came out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6VBUfxbo82s

It's a PBS show called Alt. News 26:46 with me, Johnny Rabb and WFD founder Boo McAfee. It's run by college age people and its won several Emmys. I was at Boo's farm outside of Nashville, a couple of months ago as part of a launch for the new WFD video game. They filmed Johnny's segment at a Nashville gig the night before. I was impressed at how nice the segment turned out, and I even got to rant a little.
mattsmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby okjohne » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Nice videos. This guy knows how to break it down. What is that crap he's playin. Everything starts on one and ends on 4. Speed is the his friend. If you are fast you are good..... NOT. Ask your girl friend if fast is good. I'll admit I can not play double BD at those speeds for very long. So what. Who buys it.
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Empyrean Drums » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:06 am

okjohne wrote:Nice videos. This guy knows how to break it down. What is that crap he's playin. Everything starts on one and ends on 4. Speed is the his friend. If you are fast you are good..... NOT. Ask your girl friend if fast is good. I'll admit I can not play double BD at those speeds for very long. So what. Who buys it.

I don't see any one lining up to see your sorry ass
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby J-rod » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 am

/\ yea seriously
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby xdoseonex » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:12 pm

okjohne wrote:Nice videos. This guy knows how to break it down. What is that crap he's playin. Everything starts on one and ends on 4. Speed is the his friend. If you are fast you are good..... NOT. Ask your girl friend if fast is good. I'll admit I can not play double BD at those speeds for very long. So what. Who buys it.

Matts a sick drummer and a hell of a nice kid. Your a schmuck. I'll take a sick drummer over a schmuck any day
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby Brother_Bong » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:33 pm

mattsmith wrote:I just posted this in the forum member videos, but I'll delete that one and reprint here since it seems here is more appropriate.

It seems like my stuff always comes out in pairs with a personal project on one end and a WFD thing on the other. Today I was playing vibes with a piano player I really liked and we decided to record some things tomorrow and maybe post immediately. In the meantime this just came out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6VBUfxbo82s

It's a PBS show called Alt. News 26:46 with me, Johnny Rabb and WFD founder Boo McAfee. It's run by college age people and its won several Emmys. I was at Boo's farm outside of Nashville, a couple of months ago as part of a launch for the new WFD video game. They filmed Johnny's segment at a Nashville gig the night before. I was impressed at how nice the segment turned out, and I even got to rant a little.

Matt, first off, I did not realize you were that Matt, I feel pretty stupid now...............................But brain damage does have it redeeming qualities!
That's sick shit man! Are you coming to the convention? If so, please contact me directly as I would like to talk to you.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby jaundiced » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Must have missed the first post in this thread, huh? Speed and chops can't be a bad thing to have in one's arsenal and that's what this is about, not polyrhythms, paradiddles and odd time meters. I guess I'll wait for your instructional videos and see what it's all about.
blasting tools provided by Trick drums and pedals, paiste cymbals, Hornets drumsticks
jaundiced
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby mattsmith » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 pm

Dude you're just another never was johnnyringo wannabe writing checks you can't cash. I especially enjoy how you litter your posts with groove catchphrases in such an awkward way as to know that you're but another clueless fraud of the percussive arts. Let's hope your restaraunt operates smoother than the brain stem that suggested your picking an unsolicited fight on a drum forum was an appropriate way for a so called adult to pass his time.

Trademark Kid you're arrogant rant used by immature adults who get their feelings hurt after they instigated the BS in 5-4-3-2...
mattsmith
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Howepirate » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Okjohne is a poser for real. Dude has to throw his 2 cents in on everything.

I guarantee almost all of us metal-heads in this thread could probably keep up or school him in the very genre he's so accustomed to playing.

Whatever, just another mindless jerk. Pay no attention to him friends..
Howepirate

Postby xdoseonex » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Howepirate wrote:Okjohne is a poser for real. Dude has to throw his 2 cents in on everything.

I guarantee almost all of us metal-heads in this thread could probably keep up or school him in the very genre he's so accustomed to playing.

Whatever, just another mindless jerk. Pay no attention to him friends..

yeah, dude like to show up to the conversation and make fun of stuff. I guess thats just what he likes to do.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby JustinDrummer » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:44 am

And guess what, you're all rising to his bait and aren't you all responding in the same way! :lol:

Guy is surely entitled to his opinion.

Let it be. 8)
JustinDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

PreviousNext

Return to General Drum Set Discussion