Tips for: Chops and Speed.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby TheYardstick » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:38 pm

Ya, I've been eyeing those Futz for a while.

They're really that good huh?
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby xdoseonex » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Howepirate wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:I havent taken a video in a while. I just ordered a firewire cable for my camera so i should be able to record something and put it on my pc soon. Dont expect me to be the sickest metal drummer ever or anything

I already know you're better than me so no matter what, it'll be a learning experience.

i think anyone can learn from anyone
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Postby McForman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:Some handy tools:

Hansen Futz
http://www.practicepedals.com/

Drumometer
http://drumometer.com/

I never trust stuff like that, it always sounded really shady to me. Like the name itself, "Hansen Futz", hands and foots practice pad? But guess if you can vouch for it... because I definitely need something to work my feet as I can't play my set at my house because its too loud.
McForman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DRUMSMYWIFE » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Yeah wooh Derek!
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master

Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Postby drummerduba » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:44 pm

that jared falk guy seems 2 get around like some mad entrepeneur when it comes 2 drumming solutions :lol: hansen futz seems like a good idea tho
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby Steaky » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Great Post. Roddy is amazing.

That workout is in the Joe Morello Master studies Book. He calls 'The Stone Killer' as taught to him by George Lawrence Stone. The excersise gets deeper as you add Accents and double up. Plus you go into triple feel aswell. Check it out. The Book is really good in general and makes a great addition to classic Stick Control book by G L Stone which you MUST get if you want to step up your playing.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Howepirate » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 pm

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7kQvyPXEQc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7kQvyPXEQc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Howepirate

Postby morbiddrummer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this site. I love that Roddy video. I used to do practice the half hour routine and it worked. I got to get back into that. I heard that Pete Sandoval from Morbid angel was coming out with a drum video. Unfortunately I heard this news like 3 or 4 years ago and I don't think its going to happen.
morbiddrummer
new
new

Postby Brother_Bong » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Howepirate wrote:<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7kQvyPXEQc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O7kQvyPXEQc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Guy is just friggin inhuman! :twisted:
And hello morbiddrummer.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby Howepirate » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 pm

http://youtube.com/user/alexgrind

^^ This is the drummer from the most amazing Deathcore band ever, Despised Icon.

He's an intensely solid drummer. He even has a video of him playing a song by the band Nile.

Nile is known for the fastest music out there with a real drummer being, George Kollias.

Take note of his backwards stick technique and the power he plays with.

I believe someone even said they were marching sticks!
Howepirate

Postby morbiddrummer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Howepirate wrote:http://youtube.com/user/alexgrind

^^ This is the drummer from the most amazing Deathcore band ever, Despised Icon.

He's an intensely solid drummer. He even has a video of him playing a song by the band Nile.

Nile is known for the fastest music out there with a real drummer being, George Kollias.

Take note of his backwards stick technique and the power he plays with.

I believe someone even said they were marching sticks!

I love George Kollias, but my favorite drummer that played with Nile is Tony Laurano. That guy is a beast!!!!
morbiddrummer
new
new

Postby likelight2flies » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:44 pm

A metal drummer that has had me in awe since the release of Between the Buried and Me's new album "Colors" has been Blake Richardson. I think I've listened to that album at least once a day since November. It's such an amazing album and I love the creativity and flexibility that not only Richardson exhibits but the entire band. I recommend it if you haven't already checked it out.
this damn LEFT PEDAL! i swear im getting another bass drum....
www.myspace.com/enlightenedbythecold
likelight2flies
drumming adept
drumming adept

WTF

Postby wildmann » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

While I'm "old school" drummer and can't get into all that speed stuff, that first clip is VERY Impressive-though if I tried that, at my age I'm sure I'd have a heart attack!lol HOw the F*%k does someone get here limbs to move that fast!
-WILDMAN!-www.myspace.com/brentwildman
wildmann
new
new

Postby rigemeister » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm

likelight2flies wrote:A metal drummer that has had me in awe since the release of Between the Buried and Me's new album "Colors" has been Blake Richardson. I think I've listened to that album at least once a day since November. It's such an amazing album and I love the creativity and flexibility that not only Richardson exhibits but the entire band. I recommend it if you haven't already checked it out.

Hear hear, I think Colors is worthy of album of the year. It blends so well; the song transitions are perfect. And the drumming is spectacular. I love the opening to Sun of Nothing.
rigemeister
beginner
beginner

Postby dtenor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 pm

Heres a good exercize for the hands. its from scott johnson i think.

Straight 8s in 6/8, but use this sticking: R L R L R L / R L L R R L / L R L R L R / L R R L L R (repeat)
speeds around 120-140 (for a dotted quarter) will force you to control the doubles, as opposed to just throwing them into the drum and hoping that they bounce in time.
6 peice Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouvoeu
Sabian AA's all around
Yamaha hardware except for DW 7000's
Working on a custom piccolo snare (please, i need advice)
dtenor
beginner
beginner

PreviousNext

Return to General Drum Set Discussion