Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby pearldrummer12758 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:07 pm

Im left handed naturally and my kit is set up lefty. I can play both ways but Im way better at left handed.
92% of teenagers switch to rap music, If you are part of the other 8% add this to your signature!!

PEARL DRUMS, SABIAN CYMBALS, PRO-MARK STICKS
pearldrummer12758
beginner
beginner

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Thread revival

Postby sharkscott » Sun May 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Hi I was wondering if any new drummers to the site are Left Handed?

I know there are some more of you out there... :-)
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby PatternsInTheIvy » Sun May 13, 2007 11:55 pm

I'm left handed, but im working on some ambidextrious stuff. Like playing Jazz grooves with my right on the ride instead of left. It's tricky stuff :P
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Ambi? Wow!

Postby sharkscott » Mon May 14, 2007 1:18 am

Very cool, I am naturally a southpaw but I play all the other instruments I have played (Guitar, Bass, Cello, Alto-Tenor Sax and Flute) right-handed naturally, and I bat and throw righty as well. Go figure huh?

As far as the Drums are concerned though, I am SEVERELY left-handed. I have never been able to do jack squat on a right-handed kit. The only thing I do well ambidextrous is Double-bass playing. For some reason I have always been able to do that.

How about you? Do you do stuff right-handed?

Here is a pic of my kit.

The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Reaper33X » Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 am

Jiggarelli wrote:Wasn't Blind Melons drummer a left handed player?
Travis Barker, Tre Cool, and Stewart Copeland are left handed but play right handed.

Travis Barker's right handed.
I heard on an interview when he broke his right arm and had to play with just his left.

Anyway back on track.
I'm a right-handed person, that drums left-handed.
Why? because my dad had drums about 10 years ago and he IS left handed. So thats the way the kit was when I first sat behind it. Thats how I picked it up and I've never been able to convert to playing right-handed.
All the gear, no idea
Reaper33X
beginner
beginner

Postby sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire » Tue May 15, 2007 5:58 pm

i'm a lefty. play lefty as well.

i can fake it on a righty kit, as long as it's nothing fancy.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Postby vahnn » Wed May 16, 2007 2:00 am

i actually started out playing left-handed on a righty kit (aka "open-handed"). i played that way for about 2 years, but i felt i was some what limited by having all my cymbals clustered around the left side of my kit.

So i tried rearranging my kit to lefty style... Didn't work out very well for me, because i'm still right-footed. So i went back to the righty kit, and trained my self to play right-handed on my righty kit.

Now i can play both ways equally (open-handed and crossed), which i think really helps my playing overall.

I used to know a bunch of obscure punk, hardcore, and metal bands with drummers who played open-handed, but i can't think of them for the life of me!

I know the guy from Alkaline Trio plays open-handed, through he switches throughout the course of a song repeatedly.
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DrumStyx » Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm a lefty player. I was lucky enough to find a teacher who happened to be left handed as well. Oddly enough, though, I play guitar right handed.
"We're just reflections in the mirror of life. Shadowy images passin' through the night. Pieces of puzzles with pieces gone. Half of the time, we can't tell right from wrong." - ONYX
DrumStyx
new
new

Postby guilty_verdict » Tue May 22, 2007 2:02 am

I'm left handed, but i play drums right handed. I can play a little left-handed drum stuff, my teacher has always made me play rudiments and exercises as both a right and left hand lead and when im bored i love to set my kit up left handed and much around.

Famous left handed drummers????? Zac hanson Chuck Comeau from simple plan (left handed although he plays right handed)
guilty_verdict
beginner
beginner

Postby Royspeed » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:13 am

I am a new member on this forum, having just found it, I think it is the kind of forum I have been looking for for ages!

I have always played left-handed, being very dominant on my left side, and am self-taught. Ironically, before I knew he was left-handed as well, I taught myself to play by drumming along to the Deep Purple "Machine Head" album. Hence, Ian Paice is one of my drum heroes!

I have just got a Pearl left-footed double bass drum pedal, so I am looking to strengthen my right foot, so you never know, I might eventually be able to play right-handed as well as my natural style.

Peace to you all,

Roy King
MindfooD.
Royspeed
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drumur » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm left handed, but i play drums right handed.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby SuNoAnBuKi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm a lefty and I play a right handed kit. I switch back and forth from open hand to right hand lead.
Ddrum Dominion
Saluda, Zildjian, Paiste, Wuhan
Pearl Hardware, DW Pedals
Remo Heads
SuNoAnBuKi
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Sara_Tama! » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:58 am

im righty handed but being a lefty is cool...Gets ya noticed straight AWAY!! except once a poorly planned battle of the bands ment that i had to set up the kit after a lefty had just finished it...grrrrrrr....took us 15 mins to fix it up properly..it was on a rack and all...soo annoying

The only thing that really peeves me off about leftys is that i cant copy them by watching em...to confusing. But yeah Dom Howard (Muse) is an AWSOME drummer and hes a lefty :P
..." The Art of hitting things..."
Sara_Tama!
beginner
beginner

Re: Left Handed Drummers

Postby peacekeeper » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi there.Yep, I am a TOTAL lefty.Taught myself when I was 18 and have played that way for 25 years.Hats and snare on my right,Toms starting from right and rolling down to left side floor tom.Ride on left and Crashes centre to right.
I STILL get stared at by other drummers who are just mind boggled by watching me and it's a great discussion starter with ny fellow hitters!!!!.
I can knock out a good backbeat on a righty kit, and I am naturally two footed with the Bass Drum.The problems start when lifting the hats with my left foot.As soon as that happens, my lefty side just takes over and you get two bars of utter rubbish until the right side kiks back in.
I have read on so many forums how important it is to learn right-handed because of the problems it causes at a multi band event.Well I have been playing such events for 2 decades and NEVER have I had a problem with ANY rightie drummer about switching the kit.It takes a matter of minutes and as long as you warn the main man beforehand, he will always be accommodating. In fact, they take a keen interest in sitting behind it and having their heads blown by the switch.
If I am the headline drummer ,I have no problem in the undercard switching my set up, and mine is BIG.Still only takes about ten minutes to unclip the mics, swap it and reset them.

I play a Vintage 1994 Premier XPK
8" and 10" Concert Toms
12" and 13" Rack Toms
!6" Floor Tom
22" x 18" Bass Drum
14" x 6.5" Deep Chrome Snare with Groove Wedge on Upper Left Quadrant

Paiste Alpha 14" Medium Hats with LP Ice Bell and Jam Block attached to Hat Stand

Sabian B8 Pro 14",16", 17" and 18" Crashes,18" Chinese,10" Splash and 20" Heavy Rock Ride

LP Black Beauty Cow Bell

And all set up arse about face and will NEVER give in to the Righty Mafia.lol
peacekeeper
new
new

Re: Left Handed Drummers

Postby Evision » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:35 pm

When I first started playing, 3 years ago, my teacher didn't give me the choice to play lefty, so I begun to play completely right handed, it was only after I changed from lessons at school to lessons down at the local music shop that I started to play little bits with my left hand on the hi-hat. I stopped this though because I'm a very modest guy and I didn't want to make it look like I was trying to show off. I've now stopped taking lessons in drums and switched to (lefty) guitar, however I'm teaching myself to play ambidextrous drums at home now which is going quite well, especially with the arrival of my first double bass pedel.
Evision
new
new

Previous

Return to General Drum Set Discussion