Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mouse » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:27 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
When I used to teach drums, "Lefties" always wanted to play in reverse... but I taught them right handed. They complained that it didn't feel right, yet they always moved along at the same pace as the other beginners.

I'm glad my teacher taught me to play what I naturally am- left handed. He was right handed himself, so he enjoyed the challenge. There is no right or wrong way to playing the kit in terms of whether you play left or right handed set up, so why should 'lefties' have to learn right handed? You wouldn't like it if someone said you had to play left handed, regardless of whether you are right handed or not.

And anyway, us lefties have be persecuted for long enough! If it's not for being a witch, it's for playing the drum kit in reverse! lol :lol:

Sarah xx
mouse
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Shalaq » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:40 pm

Why should lefties have to learn right handed? They don't but why should we have for example a limited choice in double bass drum pedals? I wanted a direct drive Yamaha Flying Dragon and just can't because lefty twins are only available with a chain.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Marki777 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 am

Im a righty but i have hi hats on both sides and my kik on the left and i play it with a dbl left pedal. So a lefty could sit on my kit and feel right at home. Ive found that it helps with getting my weaker side stronger , enables me to lead with either hand and it looks very different
Marki777
beginner
beginner

Postby cumndrum » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:51 pm

the drummer from marilyn manson is left handed.
cumndrum
new
new

Postby Drumdadum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:28 am

I am a self tought left Handed drummer. I play open handed as well on a standard right handed style drum setup with the only difference being is that i have my ride on the left side directly above my hats. My feet i have laerned to controll almost independantly on doubles and hi hats but have yet to master my abilities crossing over righthanded. I am by no means a masterful drummer but i think from the practice and selft studying i have done I do very well as a left handed drummer and on top of that I sing. LoL a feat in itself let me tell ya that took a long time to learn how to do. Singinf while moving for other limbs independantly aint easy lol. I like this forum site and I'm new to it so feel free to contact me.
Visit my Band and Promoting myspaces at either Myspace.com/oliometal
or Myspace.com/midevinproductions
Drumdadum
new
new

Re: Left Handed Drummers

Postby TenorAltom » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 am

sharkscott wrote:Are there any drummers here who play left handed?

Can you name any famous left handed drummers?

:lol:
Cater B. from dave matthews band
TenorAltom
beginner
beginner

Postby jacubus4 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:04 pm

i am a righty but have recently contemplated switching around my set so i can hopefully build coordination with my left hand. my left hand is not the best at evenly keeping time.
jacubus4
new
new

Postby hatetra@aol.com » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm not sure if if I read most of these post right but, aint a good drummer supposed to be [b]ambidextrous[/b], meaning = what he plays normal handed (normaly right handed, he can play left handedly,=verses). I 'm right handed but one thing I do is learn right handedly but also practice left handedly equally, so what ever I do with one hand (or foot) I also can do with the other.
hatetra@aol.com
new
new

Postby AzFaz300 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:28 am

^ ^ what he/she said
it helps build up technique on the left hand so rudiments become faster even when leading with the right :)
Yamaha
Pearl
Zildjian
Evans
Vater
AzFaz300
beginner
beginner

Postby chachaman02 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:32 pm

I am developing a very wierd style that incorparates leading with both the left hand and the right. its called switch sticking (tm). Bassically I've been workin on this technique in which I constantly switch which hand I lead with while playing basic or complex beats. and it really helps out with becoming ambidextrous. for example: play a basic 4/4 beat right handed, but instead of playing r-r-r-r, r-r-r-r on the hi-hat play l-r-l-r, l-r-l-r while playing the 2nd and 4th beat on the snare with ur left hand.

its complicated...

Anyway, I try to be as ambidextrous to the best of my ability.
chachaman02
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby AzFaz300 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:25 am

i do that!! but with right hand starting the grove then goin on the snare while the left hand does the hihat
i guess your ones kinda better tho cos it starts with the left
Yamaha
Pearl
Zildjian
Evans
Vater
AzFaz300
beginner
beginner

Postby Zim » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:51 pm

Tom Hunntington from Exodus is a lefty but has hi hats on both sides. I played w/ a guy in Fridgid Bitch named MIKE Hurzell his set up was left handed and out of respect I learned to play either or so at times when his kit was all we had I played it back wards hahah
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby chachaman02 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:33 pm

AzFaz300 wrote:i do that!! but with right hand starting the grove then goin on the snare while the left hand does the hihat
i guess your ones kinda better tho cos it starts with the left

Well none of them are "better" than one another, just different. that's cool that you do that. Maybe you can help me develope this style.
chachaman02
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby AzFaz300 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:33 pm

sorry i meant more effective at developing left hand technique :)

a new idea i just came up with (i havent tried yet!!): when playing odd time sigs, alternate hands on every 'even' number of beats. so lyk in 5/8 play the 1st 4 with the right hand on hihat, then switch for the fifth beat onto the left & play the next 3 in the 5/8 groove on the left & then switch back to right for the last 2 & first 2 of the next & so on (if that makes sense?)
so then you also sorta develop polyrhythms on the hands & feet, assuming hihat foot & bass rhythm is constant for each bar.
Yamaha
Pearl
Zildjian
Evans
Vater
AzFaz300
beginner
beginner

Postby chachaman02 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:12 pm

AzFaz300 wrote:sorry i meant more effective at developing left hand technique :)

a new idea i just came up with (i havent tried yet!!): when playing odd time sigs, alternate hands on every 'even' number of beats. so lyk in 5/8 play the 1st 4 with the right hand on hihat, then switch for the fifth beat onto the left & play the next 3 in the 5/8 groove on the left & then switch back to right for the last 2 & first 2 of the next & so on (if that makes sense?)
so then you also sorta develop polyrhythms on the hands & feet, assuming hihat foot & bass rhythm is constant for each bar.

I see what you mean. Thats sounds really cool. Its kind-of complicated though...
chachaman02
drumming adept
drumming adept

PreviousNext

Return to General Drum Set Discussion