Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby sharkscott » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:57 pm

yea im left handed, and finding other left handed drummers is diffucult, anytime i go anywhere and theres a drumkit, its always right handed so i can never play that well, i can play a right handed kit w/ a little decency but its just not the same.

Lucky you, if I sit down behind a right-handed kit I sound like I just started playing. I will admit that it is a shortcoming of my own making though. I have never tried to play right-handed with any amount if seriousness. I play all of the other instruments I can play righty but not the drums. I do not know why but all the other instruments feel natural righty but most certainly not the drums.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby zen_drummer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:25 pm

sharkscott wrote: Wait a second..you have actually been a music store that had a drum-set set up LEFT HANDED!?!?!?!?!?

In my life I have NEVER seen a kit in a music store set-up left handed..EVER!!!
It is a running joke between me and my friend Damion(who is also a drummer and left handed like me) that if we ever saw one that we would completely freak out!!!

You've never been in a store with left handed drums? AMAZING! They are right there with the left handed saxaphones, and left handed pianos.

Pardon my sarcasm, but the only instruments made that are available as truly "left handed" are guitars, basses and occasionally a drummer insists on playing lef-handed. There are no left handed violins, oboes, trumpets, etcetera... All other instruments are taught as right-handed no matter what your orientation is. This is because starting out, both hands need to learn what to do, might as well teach everybody the same way. A lot of self-taught players start out backwards and by the time they are ready for real instruction, the damage, and habits are nearly permanent.

There are MANY really great "left-handed" drummers playing right handed kits. You don't see too many famous lefties on left handed kits. Did you ever wonder why?

My son is left handed and he plays a right handed kit. Thats because he learned on mine.

Name one great left-handed TUBA player that plays his instrument left-handed... I dare ya! (ok, I'm ready for the flame war to begin....)
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby sharkscott » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Name one great left-handed TUBA player that plays his instrument left-handed... I dare ya! (ok, I'm ready for the flame war to begin....)

I'm not nearly as jumpy as I used to be so you will not get me to bite on that. :-)

You state the obvious in that regard. I have played all of my other instruments right-handed..naturally. I even bat right-handed naturally too.I think that it is cool that the drum-kit is one of the few instruments that you can play left-handed, if you choose too. It just happens that for me I cannot "choose" to play righ-handed, I just plain can't or better said, will not spend the time fighting against my instincts too. It would have set me back to far to stay interested to have to play right-handed. My left foot is my beat keeper and always has been even when I was playing Sax, Cello and Bass as a kid. I have always tapped my left foot, always. I am hard wired that way, there was never a choice.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby zen_drummer » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:16 am

sharkscott wrote:You state the obvious in that regard. I have played all of my other instruments right-handed..naturally.

Did you play them right handed "naturally" or did you play them right handed because there was no other option?

Having a left-handed son, I find this topic really interesting, so please don't think my questions are based in disrespect...

When I used to teach drums, "Lefties" always wanted to play in reverse... but I taught them right handed. They complained that it didn't feel right, yet they always moved along at the same pace as the other beginners.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby sharkscott » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:29 am

Believe it or not, I played them right-handed naturally. I cannot play a left-handed Guitar or Bass. My strumming hand is my right hand. It has only been the drum-kit that I play left-handed naturally. I did try to play right-handed a bit when I first started and it was very hard. I can naturally keep a beat but having to work against my body to do it was very hard for me.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Left handed drummers

Postby DrummerSean » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:41 am

I'm a lefty and yes there are a few pros out there. Phil Collins, Ian Paice(deep Purple), Rod Morganstein(Winger, session drummer). I play Baseball left handed and drums, thats all. Tried to flip the kit around and play, needs alot of work LOL.
Sean R. Simister
President SRA " A LIve & Loud Company"
sean@sralive.com
www.sralive.com
DrummerSean
beginner
beginner

Postby Shalaq » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:51 am

Well I agree that violins cellos tubas etc have to be played righty. But drums? They are not oriented to either hand, because it's a matter of swithing the hihats, snare and floor tom.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Postby sharkscott » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:41 pm

What has really kept me playing Left-handed is that my Bass Drum foot is my left foot, I have always kept time with it. When I count off playing any instrument or no instrument, I have always used my left foot. I have to think about it with my right foot. That alone shaped where the drums would lay on my kit. Playing Sax and Cello and Bass it never mattered what foot I was tapping.

But in Drums it is a big deal. Which foot you tap 1-2-3-4 too 'sets' your course. So to speak..

Sorry, couldn't pass up the pun. :-)
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Flatliner » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:32 am

John Blackwell has a really interesting approach to drumming right-handed for lefties, I reccommend you guys ceck him out.
Flatliner

Postby Drummerjew » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 am

The drummer from three days grace is left handed...or he just plays open handed. Most left handed drummers play open handed. It sounds good but vey hard to play.
Pearl set
Zildjian cymbals
Remo heads
Triple base peddle
Drums are my life

www.myspace.com/samdrummerw
Drummerjew
beginner
beginner

Postby TrunJun » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 am

You should go the forums on DerekRoddy.com and look up a user named Zvord. I can't remember what his name is, but he tried out for Black Dahlia. This guy is completely insane, if you haven't seen him you are missing out.
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby XIxPxGX » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 am

im righty and play righty but i wanna try setting my kit to a lefty so i build more strength and coordination in my left leg and arm.
phil collins is a famous one. um some pop punk drummers
Jon Wilkes-the red jumpsuit apparatus
Kevin Sanders-cartel
Drum kit-pearl export select
Cymbals-sabian HH and aax
Pedal-single dw 5000
Heads
snare-evans genera hd dry
Toms-evans ec2 clear
Bass drum-Aquarian super kick 1 with evans pillow inside
Sticks-Vic Firth 5a
XIxPxGX
drumming adept
drumming adept

leftys

Postby mheatwole » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:48 am

I play left handed on a right handed set. open handed for me is the way to go. Other drummers besides Mike Bordin and the other greats listed here allready that play this way are Billy Cobham and Bobby Jarzonbeck. Ive seen Gene Hoaglan from death/ SYL play that way as well And Ocasionaly Scott Travis will play open handed as well. Then theres the master of all independence who can play anyway he pleases Mike Mangini.
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Postby Tighearnan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:14 pm

Are there any drummers here who play left handed?
im a righty :)
Can you name any famous left handed drummers?
mike bordin ( faith no more, ozzy osbourne, did a tour wit korn to( in case ya didnt know him :D))
If you are right handed, have you ever tried to play left handed?
i've tried left handed and i find it rock hard
fair duess to lefty caus it a tricky way of playin teh drums
Did you sound as bad as I do playing righty?
never heard ya try pal :lol: but id say so yeah :P
Tighearnan
new
new

lefty

Postby Rainalot » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm a lefty, I play a left handed kit open handedly cuz I'm left footed.
ImageImage
Rainalot
new
new

PreviousNext

Return to General Drum Set Discussion