Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

dcoy_drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:12 pm

i am left handed but i have been taught to play right handed. i find that i lead alot with my right cause of this but i have recently switched my kit about to see how i get on.
XXDDXX
Sinisterdrums
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:45 pm

i am a left handed drummer and i cant play left handed. i learned to play " normal" instead of the way i was suposed to and it turned out to be pretty good. in fact i know quite a few local musicians who are left handed and play right handed. but i know more who play left handed.

as for "professional drummers" i never noticed. but im very un-educated when it comes to drums so what the hell.
i am a simple man with complicated needs.

strength through diversity.
Iqa
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:40 am

I'm a lefty but I play with a kit set up for right-handed drummers. I always use my left hand to lead stuff tho, like fills, etc.
Drumlord
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm a lefty, too. Up until about 5 years ago I played a right-handed kit. Then, I decided to try playing a left-handed kit. It felt so much better, except for the kick. My left foot was very weak compared to my right. So, I ended up setting up the top of the kit lefty and the kick and pedals righty (I play electronic drums, so it was easier to do). Finally, last year I decided to force myself to play left-footed and used a single pedal just so I would have a crutch. It took a little time but now my left foot is much stronger and faster. The overall switch has made my playing much better, I think.

I am considering switching my practice kit back to right-handed and learning to actually play righty. I agree with others here that it will improve coordination and limb independance. I'm always looking for new ways to experience drums. :)
==========================
http://www.saturnkat.com/drumlord
==========================
lexhitreset
new
new

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm

i'm righty but i play left handed, go figure, i'm pretty ambitdextrous so i think that's why i ended up that way, i've played drums 13 yrs lefty and guitar 8 years righty.

in high school, with concert, stage, jazz band. i had to play righty (open handed for me). and it's doable. helps you in certain aspects, leading around the toms, cross overs, and alternation.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:26 pm

i'm righty but i play left handed, go figure, i'm pretty ambitdextrous so i think that's why i ended up that way, i've played drums 13 yrs lefty and guitar 8 years righty.

Now that's crazy to me. "drumlord" right foot was his 'natural' foot..ITS CRAZY, I TELL YA CRAZY!!! :lol:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
lexhitreset
new
new

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:37 pm

yeah but what's weird to me is i have a friend who plays drums righty, plays guitar righty, but he's left handed.

also another really good lefty drummer was joe e. of the dismemberment plan.

but i get the weird looks and comments all the time, i'm used to it.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:02 pm

but i get the weird looks and comments all the time, i'm used to it.

I will share with you a little trick I like to play on the unaware..when someone asks if they can "sit behind my kit" I will sometimes say yes and hand them the sticks and wait....they sit down and after about ten seconds or so they look up and say, "Hey, this thing is all backwards", and I say.

NOPE!! I'm left-handed stupid!! Your the one that's backwards!! LOL!!!
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
iplaysjcdrums
new
new

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 am

im a lefty
my dad when i was growing up always taught me to play righty but i switched back to playing lefty again 4 years ago and i can play lefty better but im really good playing righty so its kinda nice to be equal i would say
marqeric
new
new

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:49 am

I am lefty all the way. I love it because when folks want to play my kit they are clueless and just hand me back the sticks........haha!!
Other notable lefties........Rod Morgenstein, Ian Paice, Ian Haugland............ damn we are short on lefties. I remember back in my rebellious days in marching band getting into constant arguments w/ my instructor for refusing to play right-hand lead........damn I miss those good 'ol days!!!
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm

I remember back in my rebellious days in marching band getting into constant arguments w/ my instructor for refusing to play right-hand lead........damn I miss those good 'ol days!!!

YEAH, YEAH!! I used to have to put up a fight too. I knew I had him though because if he gave me a bad grade I could take it to the principle. HA!!!
Flatliner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:43 am

I think its actually pretty good to be a lefty and play a right handed setup, your cordination is going to be a lot better than a lot of right handed drummers. I'm a right handed drummer myself, but every day I devote a little time to playing with my left hand on the hi-hat or move the ride cymbal to the left side and try to reverse what I normally play with each hand, I'm still nowhere near what I can do with a right-hand setup, but I've noticed the more I do it the more open my fills and grooves become.
Yodrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:25 am

Hello all!
I'm left handed too, and proud to be!! -> www.yoannpalacio.com
I had heard that Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Grip Inc.) was left handed too, but he played righty.
As other said before: Ian Paice, Phil Collins, Dominic Howard, for the most famous.
Jimi Hendrix, Rachmaninov, Paul McCartney were/are left handed too :)
Yamaha Stage Custom drums
Paiste Cymbals
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 am

Why is it that every time I see a left handed kit set up for lefty it always looks set up weired? Not because its 'backwards' it just seems like its always messy, lol. Anyone else ever notice that?
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
Yodrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:29 am

Chazdrums wrote:Why is it that every time I see a left handed kit set up for lefty it always looks set up weired? Not because its 'backwards' it just seems like its always messy, lol. Anyone else ever notice that?

Well, sometimes, when I'm in a concert for example, I look at the drummer and say in myself: "there's something weird with him", and I finally notice that his left handed! There are so many righties that even for me, a lefty, it can be strange...
It's hard to be left handed, for example I went to the "Salon de la Musique" in Paris, and there was no lefty drum kit!! But there was a show with an other left handed drummer: Farid Medjane ( http://www.myspace.com/faridmedjane )
Yamaha Stage Custom drums
Paiste Cymbals