Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Left Handed Drummers

Postby sharkscott » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:13 pm

Are there any drummers here who play left handed?

Can you name any famous left handed drummers?

If you are right handed, have you ever tried to play left handed?

Did you sound as bad as I do playing righty? :lol:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Left Handed Drummers

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Shalaq » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 am

I am left handed,
left handed drummers? Ian Paice.
I try to play right handed sometimes, but I prefer to play open handed, because I'm very left-footed :P
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Postby sharkscott » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:30 am

I try to play right handed sometimes, but I prefer to play open handed, because I'm very left-footed Razz

You and me both! Every other instrument I have ever played I play right handed..NATURALLY! go figure. But Drums, its gotta be lefty.

Nice kit by the way, I voted for you.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby trowa012000 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:11 am

I have my Kit set up normally, but I play open handed. That's just the way I've always done it.
So many drums, So little time.
trowa012000
beginner
beginner

Postby Brazilian Drummer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:25 am

I'm left handed too, but my kit is setup for right handed. I play both, sometiems I like to lead with my left but most of the time I lead with my right hand.

Carter Beauford is a lefty
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DrumHead15 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:52 am

Phil Collins
Ringo (but played a righty kit)
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby prl_drmer_08 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:15 am

I'm left handed, But I'm not sure that I play left handed.
prl_drmer_08
beginner
beginner

Postby quikstang2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 am

I'm a righty but when I get my new set I'm going to switch my practice set to lefty to build coordination.

I do like going to music stores and playing the ONE left handed kit that they have set up (and play it decently) and then switching to the right handed sets and actually play harder stuff. Occasionally someone won't notice and they'll sit down on the lefty set and know something is wrong, but they just can't figure it out...not until I act like it's cool that they're left handed, at which point most people leave the store embarrassed.

I love you lefty guys.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby sharkscott » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 pm

I do like going to music stores and playing the ONE left handed kit that they have set up (and play it decently) and then switching to the right handed sets and actually play harder stuff. Occasionally someone won't notice and they'll sit down on the lefty set and know something is wrong, but they just can't figure it out...not until I act like it's cool that they're left handed, at which point most people leave the store embarrassed.

Wait a second..you have actually been a music store that had a drum-set set up LEFT HANDED!?!?!?!?!?

In my life I have NEVER seen a kit in a music store set-up left handed..EVER!!!
It is a running joke between me and my friend Damion(who is also a drummer and left handed like me) that if we ever saw one that we would completely freak out!!!

I swear I have never had the pleasure of sitting behind a left handed kit in a music store. EVEN WHEN I WAS BUYING ONE THEY WOULDN'T DO IT!!!!

Then again most leftys still play right handed anyway...
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby frogdrummer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 pm

I am a southpawdrummer, and I have yet to meet another in person. sweet deal that there are some out there, and on this forum.
my greatest passion is drumming, I love frogs, Mike Portnoy is my hero (as well as a living legend and musical deity) and I am a college freshman. That about covers the basics.
frogdrummer
new
new

Postby razor_chris » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:37 am

Im left handed but I learned to play right handed...and thats how its been for 8 years..sometimes i see myself starting with the wrong hand on a chop...but i practice the way its supposed to be done until i get it right or sometimes i simply adjust the cordination so the timing n feel doesnt vanish.....

one thing ive been doing is studying a lot left handed drummers that play right handed such as John Blackwell, Simon Phillips, Carter Beauford, Phill Collins....they all have their own way to play the drums..they have adjusted their hands movement and cordination in a way they can keep playing not necesarly following the usual concept..that can help me out how to look for a way to play without problms.
razor_chris
beginner
beginner

Postby devilspain » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:53 pm

dominic howard from MUSE Is a lefty!!

haha sorry feel bad i always say leftys are freaks!! only as a joke ;) dont kill me! it is wierd especially left handed bass and guitar players it just looks wrong!!!
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Postby lee » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:34 pm

Mike (Puffy) Bordin from Faith No More/Ozzy is left handed, but plays open handed on a right handed kit with his ride cymbal above his hi hats.
I'm left handed and don't see that many other lefties around, but it's not something that I see as being a big deal. Male/female/left/right, does it really matter so long as people enjoy playing drums????
lee
beginner
beginner

Re: Left Handed Drummers

Postby Scott_Hurford » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:18 pm

sharkscott wrote:Are there any drummers here who play left handed?

Can you name any famous left handed drummers?

If you are right handed, have you ever tried to play left handed?

Did you sound as bad as I do playing righty? :lol:

Dominic Howard (Muse)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)

i actually tried playing left handedly today, i'm a right handed drummer and it felt so strange playing left handed, but it wasnt to, bad, its good to try both left and right handed, since u build strength in both sides.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Jiggarelli » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:32 pm

Wasn't Blind Melons drummer a left handed player?
Travis Barker, Tre Cool, and Stewart Copeland are left handed but play right handed.
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Next

Return to General Drum Set Discussion