Influence?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 pm

What got me into wanting to play music in general was listening to led zeplin, steely dan, nirvana,rush , van halen, and AC DC at a young age. Both my parents are into rock and I grew up listening to great bands all my life. My Dad is also a Guitarist and bassist, thats why I started on bass. I also have always had a good sense of time and started on drums a year after my bass playing.

My main influences in both bass and drums are Rush, Incubus, The Police, Primus, RHCP, Tool, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, LED ZEP, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Stanley Clark and Victor Wooten.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
ccrdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Aaron Gillespie of UnerOath and the Almost i even use a single mounted tom and my setups just like his haha

Neil Peart from Rush because i looooove his awesome Ride work its amazing
In order for God to increase we need to decrease.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:21 am

Having a Dad who played for a living.
As far as music...everything I've ever listened to is an influence.
I play all styles of music.
Dude_on_Drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 am

Cozy Powell
Don Brewer (Grand Funk Railroad)
John Bonham, also Jason
Jimmy de Grasso
Pat Thorpey
Brian Tichy
Ronnie Tutt (Elvis)
Vinnie Paul
Marco Minneman
Bobby Jarzombeck (Riot, Halford, Iced Earth, and now Fates Warning)
Mike Mangini (Extreme)
Tommy Clufetos. I don't care so much for his work with Rob Zombie, but think he's amazing with Alice Cooper and Ted Nugent.
ERIC SINGER !!!!
And so many more...
It's good, knowin' he's out there...THE Dude.
Taking it easy for all us sinners...

Sonor SQ2 X-ray acryllic
Sonor hardware to match the kit
Sabian cymbals
DW Pedals
Vater 5B Natural
Rogers Dynasonic and Rogers Superten snaredrums
Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:13 am

Kiss got me really interested in music. But my drumming influences are Keith Moon, John Bonham, Tommy and Marky Ramone and Meggers from the Casualties.
solitaryshell5
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:53 am

mike portnoy and dream theater.

a little of rush and megadeth also but mainly dream theater
tama/sabian/remo/evans/ promark
92% of teenagers switch to rap music, If you are part of the other 8% add this to your signature!!
SocKeT
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:27 am

The first band that got me was probably GNR. I started playing guitar because of slash. Dave Grohl and Tre Cool were probably my first big drum influences
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:43 am

1) Lars Ulrich-Metallica (The reason i started playing drums) Early 90's - mid 90's
2) Tim Alexander-Primus (Funky hi-hat patterns) Mid 90's
3) Igor Cavalera-Sepultura (Tribal tom work) Mid 90's
4) Ray Herrera-Fear Factory (Double Bass) Late 90's
5) Danny Carey-Tool (Independence and inventiveness) Early 2000's - current
6) Jon Theodore-The Mars Volta (Independence and inventiveness) 2005 - current
7) Neil Peart-Rush (Independence and fills that go on for hours) 2006 - current

All of these together have influenced my style and the type of music i play, which is a mishmash of Metal, Prog, Funk, Punk, Jazz and Rock.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:51 am

I got into music at a young age (started playing piano @ 5) but I gave up piano for drums in the late 80's. I didn't have any real "influences" as far as drummers went until I heard Nirvana and Pantera. Dave Grohl showed me the direction I wanted my drumming to go and Vinnie added to that by just groovin and not throwin a lot of flashy crap around. That's pretty much defined my entire drumming life. There have been others over the years but those are the 2 largest.

PS: I don't mean to insult any drummers that are into the fancy fills and stuff by calling it crap. It sounds awesome but it's just not my deal.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 pm

Typecast and Saosin made me really serious in playing drums
and now, even though we switched to metal, i consider these two bands a major influence who helped me shape my style...
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
Gabimo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:54 pm

It looks like the younger guys who are near my age(to what i can see) also love green day!
like i said in my first post, that song, longview, totally turned my world upside down! it was like the first time i listened to rock and roll all night. or Pearl Jam

it looks like the people on this forum(a large percentage)like nearly the same type of music.
OW! My arm hurts where the tigers biting it!

congratulations, you've won a million dollars, click the<a href="http://www.ipwnzoredyounooberzors.com"> link</a>
SGarrett

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Gabimo wrote:It looks like the younger guys who are near my age(to what i can see) also love green day!
like i said in my first post, that song, longview, totally turned my world upside down! it was like the first time i listened to rock and roll all night. or Pearl Jam

it looks like the people on this forum(a large percentage)like nearly the same type of music.

My first band played a lot of both Nirvana and Green Day. We were an interesting mix of grunge, bubblegum punk, and metal.

Oh, I forgot one of my favorite albums when I was a little kid. The soundtrack to the movie Breakin'. "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan is one helluva groovy song. Oh, and there's also Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon. The songs are cheesy, but really groove. So, basically, I've been into groove based music since I was about five. I was actually thinking about that last night at work.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SocKeT
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:49 pm

Gabimo wrote:It looks like the younger guys who are near my age(to what i can see) also love green day!

Green day, Nirvana, early Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Sublime, Guns and Roses are my first memories of being seriously into playing music. I think Basket Case was may first guitar songs and She was one of my first drum songs.
Metal Mickey
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: I do NOT like metal, the name is a song reference - look it up

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 am

Suede
Libertines
Smiths
Babyshambles
Roxy Music
Ride
David Bowie
Pulp
Blur
The Cure
The Who
The Jam
Clash
Sex Pistols
Kinks
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Oasis
Verve
Radiohead
Led Zeppelin
Charlatans
Buzzcocks
Muse
Stone Roses
The La's
The Coral
Manic Street Preachers
The Cult
Small Faces
Stranglers
Joy Division

That's what I listen to. Best of British.
keith bushey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:40 am

I saw Buddy Rich at a clinic...thats all it took.