Tips for a healthy back

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tips for a healthy back

Postby Brian L » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:25 pm

in my experience, if my throne is really low, my back gets really messed up. so i usually make my throne kinda high up, it seems to straighten my back and making it easier to do more complicated foot pedal beats.
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby FiestyRedDrummEr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm 23 and already have back problems. My dad, being a percussionist and my teacher, constantly nagged me about standing up tall, don't slouch..watch out for your back. And I thank him.
For me, being only 15, still growing and marching a 35lb drum everyday.I know its probably done some damage. I've done a lot of marching, and drum corp work. And our drum instructors constantly were on us about how we stand when that drum is on. I know years of being a percussionist and lugging around my own equipment from gig to gig on my own has done a number. That why I insist on weekly back massages from the boyfriend. ha. Oh, and I'm trying to stop the nasty habit of cracking my own back. Bill Ray, I'm going to kudos you for that article. I was just saying last night how my back ached.

<3
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drummerduba » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 pm

FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:I insist on weekly back massages from the boyfriend. ha.

It's the same with me and my fiancee, Stacey.

I always had a not so perfect posture throughout childhood. Add on to that 6 years of lugging around my own gear and it's already started to take its toll on my back. Working in an office doesn't do me any wonders either....oh and I'm only 18

Cheers
Duba
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby FiestyRedDrummEr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Is that your Stacey?
She's a cutie! Good job!
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drummerduba » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Indeed it is Feisty.

We got engaged the last day of July. I proposed on stage right after I had finished playing a set. *Cue image of big ol sweaty breathless me getting down on one knee trying to get the words out :lol: *

Thanks for the kind words :mrgreen:

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby FiestyRedDrummEr » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:21 pm

thats cute. I'm gonna force mine to propose to me before he leaves for iraq....yes i said force.
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drummerduba » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats too funny!!!!

Cheers
Duba
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Re:

Postby chocobebear » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:55 am

DrummerByron wrote:This is a good article, but what about drummers? Those flat round seats play havoc with my back. I would love to get one with back support but I don’t have the money to plop down on one. Is a motorcycle seat better for the back? It also seems like if you don’t have your drums as close as possible to your arms the you sometimes have to extend your body to reach the tom’s or cymbals. What advice would you give to a drummer?

straighten your spine and sit up straight...
it's okay to lean to reach parts of the drums but the default position should be to sit straight...

thrones usually have no back rest and this is the reason why posture should be correct to avoid injuries...

sticky this one
nice post
LET YOUR DRUMS DO THE TALKING
chocobebear
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby TOTEMdrum » Sun May 17, 2009 2:09 pm

I thought it was interesting to come across this article today, because I had a gig last night and was noticing today how sore my back was.

This was a great article I'm definitely gonna work on some of those exercises. After playing sports my entire adolescence, my back developed problems early. It also doesn't help that I've slept on my stomach my entire life. That's something to really watch out for. I also invested in one of the Roc 'n' Soc thrones not to long ago and have been happy with it ever since.

I've never had a problem with slouching at the drum set but found that as I learned double bass, at first I would lean backwards and put a lot of strain on my lower back. As I've improved on double bass I have begun to avoid that, but catch myself doing it again when I get tired.

Great article!!
TOTEMdrum
beginner
beginner

Postby rachard1583 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:50 am

Great, useful post. The back is very complicated and taking care of it now can go a long way toward preventing many forms of back problems in the future.
rachard1583
new
new

Postby Elyse99 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 am

these are the common tips for healthy back....
A combination of high-calorie diets, inactive lifestyles and increasing hours in front of the desk or computer have caused more and more Americans to gain weight, putting them at risk for chronic health problems, such as back pain and arthritis.
The following highlights some quick and easy lifestyle tips for back pain sufferers at any fitness level:
Eat a balanced diet - Make sure it's full of vitamins and minerals, and cut down on the fat.
Stand (and sit) up straight - Don't slouch! Stand with weight distributed equally on both feet, and tighten those stomach muscles - even when sitting.
See a doctor - Your back pain could be caused by arthritis, and the earlier arthritis is diagnosed, the more steps can be taken to reduce disability in the future.
Don't smoke - Recent research shows an increased prevalence of back pain among smokers.
Get a good night's sleep - Get a good mattress and don't sleep on your stomach.
Don't stress out - Keep a stress journal and practice relaxation techniques; seek counseling if necessary.
Elyse99
new
new

Postby MayQueen~420~ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 am

I find it impossible to look forward when walking. For some reason I always have to look down to see what I'm walking on. It's not a self esteem issue, I have no problems there.
MayQueen~420~
new
new

Re:

Postby philiprambo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:00 am

Thanks for sharing the tips.
philiprambo
new
new

Previous

Return to General Drum Set Discussion