Tips for a healthy back

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tips for a healthy back

Postby BillRayDrums » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 am

Atmerrill wrote:Good points on posture and all - but what about tonage?

Most of my back pains about 5 years ago wasn't caused by posture, but by the gross weight of gear I was schleping around - specifically stands. I was playing DW 9000 series stands. At one point I was bringing (3) cymbal stands, hi-hat, snare, tom stand, seat, and pedals. Got to the point I couldn't pick-up my stand case in the truck. Made the decision then that a 12 pound cymbal stand to hold a .75 lb cymbal was stupid. Went out the next day and bought the Gibraltar flat-base series snare and cymbal stands, and pulled my old Slingerland Dynamo Hi-hat out of the closet. Even got a Tama single braced seat stand for the DW seat top.

Now, I use two mic stand cases for my stands. One case has just cymbal stands, and the other seat, snare, hi-hat and floor tom legs. Both cases are light, and my back is a hell-of-a-lot more happy.

Also - I guess this is where I show my age: I remember growing up playing the old ludwig flat base cymbal stands. They always had a built-in tilt, so you learned how to hit your crashes properly or your stand did a "timber" on you and hit the floor. I also remember when Tama first came out with their Titan series in the mid 1970's. I couldn't wait to get them and I remember how proud I was to get a complete set of them for the set. I also remember distinctly that it was at that point my dad stopped helping me carrying any stand. He said, "you want 'em, you carry 'em." Then, I thought he was making a fuss about nothing. Today (at 45), I know what the fuss was about.

The Schlep in/out is part of the "exercise" portion of my program. But yeah, I get to feelin' the effects of age nowadays. I just try and ignore the small creaks and such.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Nick Cetrone » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:31 am

tama throne with a backrest...saved my life
myspace.com/dimaura
myspace.com/nickcetrone
Nick Cetrone
beginner
beginner

Postby I love Cheese and drums » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm

xdoseonex wrote:
Homki890 wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:
Homki890 wrote:I've been playing tenors for five years now.

i bet your blazin fast around the toms

And skanks, sweeps, Around-The-World's, Inside Scrapes, Invert Around-The-World's, ect....

Yeah, actually, Teonrs, Tympani, and Traps, the Three T's of Percussion, are all related. How about that.

Homki890

i'll give you a skank sweep

Sounds like a fun time :wink:
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Postby Charlie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Go with the back rest. I bulged a disc in my back in 99 and couldn't sit to play for a year. Since then I swear by the back rest. I just scooch back into the rest and it forces me to sit a bit straighter (I naturally want to slouch right over) and provides a comfortable lower back support. gives me more stamina and I don't hurt like a little baby after.
Worth the extra money if you have a back issue. a good roc n soc will last forever...it's a necessary investment.

A happy tush makes a happy drummer. Should be in a fortune cookie

I am gonna try the lighter hardware too, good common sense there. I hate lugging my stands.
www.jesusgrocery.com

www.myspace.com/drumczarcoolband
powered by keystone light, kippered snacks & hot sauce
I use cheap sticks, DW & Zildjian
Charlie
beginner
beginner

Postby Alan_ » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:49 pm

posture is seriously important to playing efficiently and painlessly. I don't understand how all those old jazz guys I love did it while slouching. all about the relaxation and poise.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby Funkussionist » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:24 am

Nick Cetrone wrote:tama throne with a backrest...saved my life

Look at the throne in my profile pic. I've had it a couple of months and it is the best throne I've ever used.
Tama HT741 Ergorider quartet with backrest.

Also - an observation. Almost all of the people I know who have ongoing back problems are also overweight.
The Funkussionist
Funkussionist
beginner
beginner

Postby Alan_ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Funkussionist wrote:
Nick Cetrone wrote:tama throne with a backrest...saved my life

Look at the throne in my profile pic. I've had it a couple of months and it is the best throne I've ever used.
Tama HT741 Ergorider quartet with backrest.

Also - an observation. Almost all of the people I know who have ongoing back problems are also overweight.

I was in a car accident, and have back problems from that. After I sit down on a drumkit and play for a few, my back loosens up and I feel much better. Drumming seems to do nothing but make my back feel better.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby percussle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:04 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:
Atmerrill wrote:Good points on posture and all - but what about tonage?

Most of my back pains about 5 years ago wasn't caused by posture, but by the gross weight of gear I was schleping around - specifically stands. I was playing DW 9000 series stands. At one point I was bringing (3) cymbal stands, hi-hat, snare, tom stand, seat, and pedals. Got to the point I couldn't pick-up my stand case in the truck. Made the decision then that a 12 pound cymbal stand to hold a .75 lb cymbal was stupid. Went out the next day and bought the Gibraltar flat-base series snare and cymbal stands, and pulled my old Slingerland Dynamo Hi-hat out of the closet. Even got a Tama single braced seat stand for the DW seat top.

Now, I use two mic stand cases for my stands. One case has just cymbal stands, and the other seat, snare, hi-hat and floor tom legs. Both cases are light, and my back is a hell-of-a-lot more happy.

Also - I guess this is where I show my age: I remember growing up playing the old ludwig flat base cymbal stands. They always had a built-in tilt, so you learned how to hit your crashes properly or your stand did a "timber" on you and hit the floor. I also remember when Tama first came out with their Titan series in the mid 1970's. I couldn't wait to get them and I remember how proud I was to get a complete set of them for the set. I also remember distinctly that it was at that point my dad stopped helping me carrying any stand. He said, "you want 'em, you carry 'em." Then, I thought he was making a fuss about nothing. Today (at 45), I know what the fuss was about.

The Schlep in/out is part of the "exercise" portion of my program. But yeah, I get to feelin' the effects of age nowadays. I just try and ignore the small creaks and such.

hmmm.. i get small creaks and such at 19, mainly in my right leg (where the hip joins the leg in the socket) and my ankle just cracks, sometimes ya can hear it but most of the time ya can just feel it. and gets annoying. i might have to do more exercises to stop these creaks, cracks in my right leg, ankle, knee, also my wrists.
i even wear a ankle brace thing that ya slip on to make it feel stronger

as for my back im trying hard to correct my posture all the time. i might have to increase the height of my throne a little bit. thanks for the help bill man.
but was there anyone else experiencing those weird little pains, cracks, and creaks in other parts of the body such as the arms and legs?
Gretsch, Zildjian, Axis, Gibraltar.

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications."

http://www.myspace.com/metal_in_entropy
percussle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:05 am

Playing anything with DW hardware on it is a good way to develop back problems. Also, don't use a solid shell kit as your primary gigging kit. Pretty much leave the rack at home.

Did you ever notice bop drummers never seem to have back problems? Except Alan Dawson, but he was in an accident or something.

My best advice? Once you hit 30, stop aging. I hit 38 last May and it was the worst decision of my life.
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby keith bushey » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Any drummers primary goal should'nt be sound...that will come later, it should be comfort! Take care of yourself! For years I concerned myself with sound, and "cool". I was always sore in the pants after 1 hr! Finally I broke down and bought a Roc-n-Soc Nitro throne. Amen! Its the best seat in the house!!
keith bushey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drumkingkid » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Totally correct!!!!!

In the long run it's always good to have good posture not only for your health but it also helps and improves your drumming.

Ever since I corrected my posture while playing (3 years ago) not only did my playing get better but the stamina I had man I could got through a whole setlist like a walk in the park it just relaxes your muscles.

I got a whole lot of drummer friends and I spoke to them about this and well only about 3% actually took it to consideration and other half well you know what happened why tell you! :P
Use it
Abuse it
and lose it
- drumkingkid
drumkingkid
beginner
beginner

Postby liquidrummr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Homki890 wrote:Squats and dead lifts man. I've been playing tenors for five years now. That's roughly 75 pounds of drums on my shoulders. I've found that dead lifts and squats drastically improve the lower back area, and helps strengthen both the shoulders and back, for better posture.

Shoes are also important. As said, high-heeled shoes are bad. Converse are almost as bad. Completely flat sole, no arch support. That lead to some serious foot problems in the long run (I'll still wear them though, just not as often). If you want to get good shoues, try to find a foot health store, or go online. Look up Earth Shoes, specially with the negative heel. They are the comfiest shoes in the world. Plus, with the negative heel, it actually helps fix bad posture, by straighting your back. Weird, but it works.

There's my 2 cents.

Homki890

Great article. I'm also a proponent of back strengthening excercises. I find that working out gives your whole body a lift.
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

i

Postby b b253 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm

i gotta question tho, does a seat with backrest give more support then one without like just the bycicle throne?
b b253
groove master
groove master

Postby YeahDoIt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:10 pm

I sleep on the floor. It seem to make my back better. Swimming in the pool every day helps too.
I practice outside and lots of people watch
YeahDoIt
new
new

u

Postby b b253 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:23 pm

u sleep on the floor i thought that would hurt your back?
b b253
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to General Drum Set Discussion