playing with headphones/monitors

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sharp13
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:42 pm

ok im not a pro drummer by all means, maybe one day, butive always played with out headphones, and i had an audition saturday for my church and my pastors wife had me play 2 songs, first song i did fine, second song was faster, but geeeez man the headphones confused me on the second song!!!!!! i had voices inside of my head!, my point is how exactly are they suposed to work, am i suposed to hearr every lil detail from every body or what?so what do i look out for?
SGarrett

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:14 pm

If you're on your own dedicated monitor mix you can ask for certain things to be turned up or down. But if, more likely than not, you're on the same channel with everyone else you're going to hear a full mix.

So it was hearing the vocals loud and clear that threw you off?
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:54 am

SGarrett wrote:If you're on your own dedicated monitor mix you can ask for certain things to be turned up or down. But if, more likely than not, you're on the same channel with everyone else you're going to hear a full mix.

I heard that.... You should have full control of what ever it is you're monitoring...
sharp13
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:00 am

SGarrett wrote:If you're on your own dedicated monitor mix you can ask for certain things to be turned up or down. But if, more likely than not, you're on the same channel with everyone else you're going to hear a full mix.

i think the fact of hearing things live and monitored at the same time, it was confusing. i could hear every guitar string being plucked and all the keys on the key board and all the voices then to top it all off the drums were loud, and i felt like i was playing louder than everyone esle.
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:03 am

The only time I use headphones is for studio recording. All I want in the mix in that situation is just enough bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and vocals so that I can "lock" into their groove. Many times, I'll pull one side of the cans off my ear, so I can hear my drums naturally without necessarily assigning them to the mix.

Live, I tend to use very minimal monitoring. Again, just enough to hear rhythm guitar, vocals, and bass guitar before those sounds bounce back at me from somewhere else in the room. Our philosophy for live situations is to keep stage volume under control, and let the FOH engineer push us through the mains.
If everyone is hearing lots of sound in the monitors, it just becomes a pissing match -- more stage monitors causes guitar amps to get turned up, which necessitates more monitor level, which makes everyone play louder, blah blah.... Dynamics go right out the window.
sharp13
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 am

Steve@NDC wrote:The only time I use headphones is for studio recording. All I want in the mix in that situation is just enough bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and vocals so that I can "lock" into their groove. Many times, I'll pull one side of the cans off my ear, so I can hear my drums naturally without necessarily assigning them to the mix.

Live, I tend to use very minimal monitoring. Again, just enough to hear rhythm guitar, vocals, and bass guitar before those sounds bounce back at me from somewhere else in the room. Our philosophy for live situations is to keep stage volume under control, and let the FOH engineer push us through the mains.
If everyone is hearing lots of sound in the monitors, it just becomes a pissing match -- more stage monitors causes guitar amps to get turned up, which necessitates more monitor level, which makes everyone play louder, blah blah.... Dynamics go right out the window.

makes good sense. well they were having sound touble, but the other drummer was fine,hmm maybe i just gotta adapt.i just like to lock on to what everyone else is doin and zone in on what i can do, hard to do whenmy heads abou to xplode, thanks tho.
budbjames
new
new

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 am

sharp13 wrote:
Steve@NDC wrote:The only time I use headphones is for studio recording. All I want in the mix in that situation is just enough bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and vocals so that I can "lock" into their groove. Many times, I'll pull one side of the cans off my ear, so I can hear my drums naturally without necessarily assigning them to the mix.

makes good sense. well they were having sound touble, but the other drummer was fine,hmm maybe i just gotta adapt.i just like to lock on to what everyone else is doin and zone in on what i can do, hard to do whenmy heads abou to xplode, thanks tho.

Many people recommend practicing with a meteronome any chance that you get.

That being said, practicing with recorded drum tracks of our favorite drummers can help as well. It can help build your "internal clock" for timing.

I've tried to practice with headphones to tracks and meteronomes and it's always been difficult. A friend of mine that owns a studio told me a little trick that I think will work well.

Get a pair of the "silencer" head phones. The big things that people wear while they are shooting guns. When you put these things on, it's like stepping into a studio.. virtually no sound. Then get a cheap pair of regular sound head phones. Take the speakers out of the crappy head phones and put them inside of the "gun shot silencer" ear pieces.

You'll be able to hear the track clear and also hear/feel your drums. If you practice this way to other music, trying to play along with your church won't be hard.

I hope this helps..
SGarrett

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:53 pm

budbjames wrote:
sharp13 wrote:

Many people recommend practicing with a meteronome any chance that you get.

That being said, practicing with recorded drum tracks of our favorite drummers can help as well. It can help build your "internal clock" for timing.

I've tried to practice with headphones to tracks and meteronomes and it's always been difficult. A friend of mine that owns a studio told me a little trick that I think will work well.

Get a pair of the "silencer" head phones. The big things that people wear while they are shooting guns. When you put these things on, it's like stepping into a studio.. virtually no sound. Then get a cheap pair of regular sound head phones. Take the speakers out of the crappy head phones and put them inside of the "gun shot silencer" ear pieces.

You'll be able to hear the track clear and also hear/feel your drums. If you practice this way to other music, trying to play along with your church won't be hard.

I hope this helps..

This is exactly why I suggested HD280Pro headphones.

As far as playing with headphones on, it shouldn't be any different than playing with a monitor blasting in your ear. If you're having trouble, it's either a mental block or you aren't using the correct headphones.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Sounds like you need a better monitor mix.
sharp13
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:47 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:Sounds like you need a better monitor mix.

well they were having sound trouble all over the place, but thanks alot guys this really helps.