reading music

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:01 pm

i was planning on eventually learning how to do read music. Whats some good books on learning how or where can i get information on it? thankx in advanced for any information i get.
DRummer BOy Jeff
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 pm

I would start in Ted Reed's Syncopation. From there, get into "Modern Reading Text in 4/4".

A great book to learn basic drumset rhythms from is "A Funky Primer".

I avoid the "all in one" type books because they tend to indoctrinate the user into one style.

So...Syncopation, Funky Primer, Mod. Reading Text 4/4 are some great starting points.
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm not gonna throw names of books at you (I don't know any; I learned in school).... but will say congrats on your need to advance and enhance your talents!!
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 pm

BillRay has some great suggestions. Also, I would recommend taking some private lessons with someone who can help explain some of the concepts to you. The Ted Reed book should be familiar to nearly any credible teacher.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:51 pm

I learned with Roy Burns' book Elementary Drum Method. It's been around forever but it's great for learning to read.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 pm

I'll have to agree with everybody's suggestion on this one(Ted Reed's Syncopation). It's excellent for beginning to advanced, depending on how you use it. The one great thing about that book is that it teaches the student to see and here rhythms in relation to the quarter note pulse. It helps to understand the subdivisions.
There many other applications and methods of using this book too, but it's great for beginners. Get it and emphasize the need to play the bass drum as all 4 quarter notes while doing the upper lines. Sometimes my students forget to play the bass drum and I always remind them.

I'm gonna have to check out "A Funky Primer"

Good luck
imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:18 am

dwtoast72 wrote:I'm not gonna throw names of books at you (I don't know any; I learned in school).... but will say congrats on your need to advance and enhance your talents!!

thanks
DRummer BOy Jeff
imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 am

and thanks everyone for all the information
DRummer BOy Jeff