Sick of people bashing down terry bozzio

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:37 am

is any one else gettin fed up with all the lame comment from guitarsits and fools who dont understand the meaning of terry bozzios kit.
it bugs me wen people say " oh hes just doing it for attention " or " why dya need all those toms " but really , its cuz he plays melodys on drums. and like he says " you cant do that on just 2 toms " which is fair enuf , any one else share the same oppinion ?

p.s if this thread has alredy been posted by sum one else feel free to knock me down for spammin
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
drumteacher41
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:22 am

I saw Terry's clinic and had the honour to speak with him. He is a very gentle human being and a monster on the kit. He was playing orchestral pieces using various ostinato's. He was incredible very musical and extremely talented....He is king in my book....DT41
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:32 am

Big kits are ridiculous, but Bozzio is one of handful of guys who can justify it. I don't think he takes them to every gig, though, and certainly not the whole rig. That would require three or four drum techs, which would be a money loser for him.

All you have to know about Bozzio is he is so good he has no limits to his playing. Anybody who could be in demand for three decades by artists as diverse as the Brecker Brothers and Korn deserves a lot of slack in the gear he chooses. He's not just some guy with gear acquisition syndrome.
JSdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:28 pm

I've seen him twice with Zappa Plays Zappa and he was great. All Chinas!!! He's uses them melodically, almost like steel drums...totally original!!! For more of a traditional sound/setup see Zappa's Baby Snakes movie.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:47 pm

I like Bozzio's style. He's really unique, and is willing to do whatever it takes to realize his vision.

Judging other people's kits based on your own preferences is biased and unrealistic. I think every drummer should be allowed the freedom to setup and play they want to do it. Why anyone feels the need to rag on Bozzio's kit is beyond me. It's about the music, not cliche traditions or supposed 'rules.'

My other personality is a bassist, and in that realm you see this same tendency of close-mindedness in the "Jaco only needed 4-strings" diatribe.
Not everybody plays R&B
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:05 pm

he's a great drummer pure and simple. he mastered classical and modern styles and he plays as precise melodically as he does rhythmically.
Beat on.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Bozzio does what he does and uses all that stuff for a reason. As for the guitarists who bash on him for using all the stuff, I ask them to show up to a gig w/ a guitar, cord, and amplifier, devoid of pedals, rack effects, the "line 6" stuff, etc. Just a strat, cord, amp.

80% can't. They gotta have their volume pedal, wah, reverb unit, etc. Oh, and they need 6 strings. How about 3? Wanna impress me? Play a 3-stringed guitar.

PS how do you save a drowning guitarist?

throw him his amp!!
DevintheGreig
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Its about time people stopped putting him down....Terry isnt just a time keeper, he's a musician. People dont understand his musicality.
Apollo
new
new

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:31 pm

Bozzio is amazing, he would be just as amazing on a four piece. I saw his clinic last year and they actually had to remove a ceiling tile to accomodate his rack. He plays a big kit, so what he's the guy who has to carry it or rather pay for it to be carried and setup. Some people say my 6 piece is too big others ask me why I don't play a bigger kit, so it's all a matter of preference. And if it were left up to guitar players we'd all be stuck with a kick, snare hi hat set up. My question for guitarists is why bring a full stack to a gig, when they mic the amp and you could've used a small combo?
Saturn Pro Fussion, Sabian AA 14" Regular hats, 17" AAXplosion, 15" AAX dark crash, 10" AAX splash, 1981 Paiste 3000 Rude Ride
amontholdDrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:31 pm

haha yeah guitarists.. im not for the big sets but all i have to say about this.. terrys doing something no one else is.. hes got respect and hes better then most out there.. not the best but hes got heart.. thats all that matters.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:36 pm

his kit is insane. but he does take the big kit to most gigs. and i think it takes him and 3 drum techs(i saw a video on youtube bout him setting it up) bozzio = true musician. end of story.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
beachgonzo
new
new

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:11 pm

It's one of those things... If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand!!!

Terry is abosolutely amazing!!!
R. Cope
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Usually guitarists bash him because they can't play as melodically on the guitar as he can on the drums... and/or they're retarded.

Bozzio is the man. If anyone bashes him, bash them in the face.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Bozzio is the man. His kit, like already stated, is insane. But he's playing melodic stuff. His toms are tuned chromatically, and diatonically. Who else does that? I mean, I don't know of anybody else with the same approach. I'm pretty sure there are some that tune their kits chromatically or diatonically, but probably not to the extent as Bozzio. I've seen him with Zappa, and with various videos online. My favorite is the drum duet with Chad Wackerman. Great stuff. Don't bash the Boz. Recognize the greatness...

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
kameleon
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:44 pm

I got a great idea.....Quit crying about the size of a drummers set! They play what they want and that's why its their set and not yours. If you build it to suit your needs and playing style that's all that matters. I love it when people try and bash my set before I get to play for them. After I'm done they wont even speak to me because they just ate thier words and then some. Those who open their mouths are either morons and don't understand whats going on back there or they are just jealous of that large set sitting on the stage. I guess this would be a whole nother topic though. Just play what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks! Props to those who play a big set and love it!

Last edited by kameleon on Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kameleon

10 Mapex Saturn Pro Acoustic Drums
3 Remo Rototoms
6 Yamaha DTXpress III electric pads
13 Zildjian cymbals
2 Icon Pearl Racks
Gibraltar Hardware
Evans Heads