painted Ludwig Vistalites

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

JSdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:51 pm

I picked up a 7 piece Ludwig Vistalite in decent shape but whoever had it before me PAINTED the insides of the shells black. They're really trasparent blue! They don't look bad, just like a solid black set. Anyone know of a paint stripping product taht will not harm the acrylic shells???
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:36 pm

Wouldn't regular paint thinner work? If not, maybe some lighter fluid...
kevin owns at life
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:15 am

yeah, acrylic is really easy to work with. almost anything will come off of it either really easily, or you're doing it wrong. be sure not to use something that will scratch the shells when you're doing it.

paint thinner should work fine. otherwise i suggest you ask someone at a hardware store, tell them what you want to do, they'll help you out.

oh, i'd also take the hardware off before you do this, because i'm thinking some acids can eat at your hardware, and that would suck.

good luck!
TOS on DRUMS
new
new

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:11 pm

I am a paint contractor and have a lot of experience painting many things including but not limited to cars boats houses and yes....drums. If the paint is stickling well your out of luck. Paint thinner is for thinning wet paint not dried paint. The chemicals that will soften the dried paint will also soften the acrylic shells. I would leave it alone. I believe you will do more damage trying to remove the paint... A test you can do is to get some duck tape from home depot and put a strip on the paint and let it set for a few, then pull it off quickly. If the paint is not sticking well to the drum you might be able to get the job done that way. This is a test I use to assure I have good adhesion.