What kind of drummer do you call yourself?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

likelight2flies
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:22 am

BillRayDrums wrote:Working.

lol thats probably the best answer so far

i mainly listen to metal so thats just what i ended up TRYING to play when i started. but i really want to expand my skills in to other styles. mainly blues and jazz. i think that would be interesting and fun and would help me become a more versatile metal drummer in the end. but at the moment.....i would best describe myself as a noob drummer lol.
this damn LEFT PEDAL! i swear im getting another bass drum....
www.myspace.com/enlightenedbythecold
qukk
new
new

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:22 am

88chellfire88 wrote:....I just have to reply cuz I think your conception of Chris Adler being more tricky than death metal is bogus

hes prolly just reffering to how chris adler doesnt use blast beats often and tries to have an original sounding drum beat for each song...

but me i play everything, but i love playing experimental and death metal. Im a blast beat addict :/.
X Day-mow X
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:38 am

i guess you could say im hardcore. im not a flash drumer. i dont have any great tricks. im fairly solid in timeing. hit hard. and can do a very little bit with my feet. i love playing hardcore but metal is fun aswell.
X Day-mow X
simeonboyslayton
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:28 am

originallity

i dont ever call meself anything and no one has ever called me a certain type of drummer and im proud of that because i dont get labeled it makes more opertunities for me being open to all styles. i enjoy all styles i play because i make it my own and if im playin drums im happy the only time i dont enjoy playin drums is when i play someone elses song, there is a big mix of genres that go into style but u could not name it
Olie_Mapex
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:29 am

all around, mostly prog but i dont like being pinned to a title,
Why you so stupid? silly rabbit, you no hungry for trix...you hungry for HOT POCKET. (save the drums bang a drummer)

ME http://www.myspace.com/jewishnazi68

BAND http://www.myspace.com/wreckingromanceband
wanglegacy
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:58 am

JAZZ.
come on guess thats where the beats are.
Ping
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:21 am

right now im in a technical death metal band so thats the style im playing atm but i can play jazz/reggae/rock/pop/rap/gospel
i am very versatle/ i aslo play flamenco & classical guitar / for over 17 years / i think its very good to play guitar for most styles of music it gives you a better understanding of what to play on the drums and helps with your timing / its makes it easier when you know what the guitarist is going to do next so you stay on time works like a charm for me :)

thx
TheAmericanRuse
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 pm

well considering I play guitar, bass, and drums, I consider myself somewhat of a musician...

but as a style of drummer... I reek havoc. thats about all I do... in a rock n roll band.
70s Premier Birch
24" x 14"
13" x 9"
14" x 9.5"
18"x 16"

60s Premier Birch (In progress of putting together)
2 - 20" x 14"
12" x 8"
16" x 16"
luddyplayer1
new
new

Post Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:13 pm

Well.. How would you class a musician that plays 50's, thru 2000's rock / metal all styles (except speed, grunge metal), same years of country, blues, swing???
I f you can lable me with a perticular style or type... be my guest..... :lol:
Ludwig Accent CS Customs 6 Piece
Evans EC2 Coated / Toms & Snare
Remo Powersonic / Bass
Zildjan A & K, & Sabian Cymbals
Pearl Hardware
DW 5000 Pedals
Vater / Vic Firth / Pro Mark
Jimmy
new
new

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:47 pm

I'm a blues/rock drummer that dabbles in a bit of funk. I like all that prog blues stuff from the 70s. When R&B was proper rock music and not what it has become today.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:47 pm

I'd say metal, hardcore, hard rock, and prog.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
myowndrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:08 pm

i started out playing straight up rock music but in the recent years ive been getting into more experimental jazz/prog stuff. i like to play it all though, i just start out playing a simple beat and then slowly i build up into latin and jazz styles and finish off my practice sessions with some blast beats or some odd timed beats.
kylevater
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:16 pm

id think im mostly metal cuz i love just pounding the double bass
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm a freelancer, well want to be
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:26 pm

I guess I could consider myself a "progressive metal" drummer. My style is derived and combined from metal and progressive rock/metal. Some drummers that I consider progressive metal drummers and who have had alot of influence on me are:
Chris Adler
Gene Hoglan
Richard Christy
Mike Portnoy
Bobby Jarzombek
And then I've got the straight up metal guys who have influenced me
Paul Bostaph
Vinnie Paul
Dave McClain
Nick Menza
Lars Ulrich
Dave Lombardo
Joey Jordison
Raymond Hererra.

Because I combine influence from these two categories and build my style based on the influence these drummers have had on me and things that I picked up from them, I guess I consider myself a "progressive" metal drummer. I'm sure there's more drummers that have influenced me, but I dont want to make a gigantic list. I can blast, I can thrash, I can play death/black/speed metal, but I like to be creative and not be the stereotypical metal drummer. I dont incorporate much blasting into the music I play or do what everyone expects. I like to think outside of the box.