Duct tape beater pad

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

drumshark
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Just cuz im cheap and dont like spending money, im getting a new bass drum beater in a wekk or 2, and instead of buying a new impact badge for my bass pedal, i heard duct tape works good, any comments?
6 Peice Hohner
13, 14, 16, 16 inch toms
22x15 inch Bass
20 inch, 16 inch Sabian
20inch, 16 inch, and 14 inch Zildjian
Zildjian Hi-Hat
drummert2k

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:04 pm

it works at first but when you start wearing away the tape, the beater head starts to stick a little to the worn away duct tape because you're worn through the top layer and down to the adhesive part. impact pads are like 4 bucks. just buy one unless you wanna buy a new kick head after a week because you're beater starts sticking because of the tape.
trstn
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:06 am

seconded. Don't do it, it's very annoying when you hit the kick and the beater does not come back, which will happen. I tried it. :D
Trick drums (and I love them!)
DW hardware/pedals
Istanbul and Paiste cymbals
Remo heads
Vic Firth 2B b(r)oomsticks
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:06 am

Haha, I was gonna say the same thing! We've all "been there" before. :wink:
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
trstn
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:21 am

indeed.. :lol:

but...
take an old head, cut out a little piece and put this with tape on your head, just don't let the beater hit the tape...
Yesterday I have made an experiment on my old kick head, which needs desperate replacement :D to "glue" the Falam Slam pads back on it. I used a little spray glue which worked fine. You may want to try this with a piece of an old head. Just be sure the glue is good for plastics.

trstn
Trick drums (and I love them!)
DW hardware/pedals
Istanbul and Paiste cymbals
Remo heads
Vic Firth 2B b(r)oomsticks
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:12 am

drumshark wrote:Just cuz im cheap and dont like spending money, im getting a new bass drum beater in a wekk or 2, and instead of buying a new impact badge for my bass pedal, i heard duct tape works good, any comments?

It's kind of funny that you say you are cheap. Get a good impact badge and you will save money in the long run by your bass drum head lasting longer.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:00 am

listen to drummert2k. if you put duct tape on your head you will wear through it and your bass drum beater will stick you your head with every stroke. and you will hate life.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am

ive put tape over an impact patch that was falling apart and it worked but it did stick a little. ive also heard of guys putting quarters in between layers of tape to get a click sound, but that doesnt work because the quarters would break and shear the head...so, not the greatest idea ever devised.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:03 pm

seriously... if you're that cheap, you're playing the wrong instrument.

spend the $4. it won't kill you.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:12 pm

trstn wrote:indeed.. :lol:

but...
take an old head, cut out a little piece and put this with tape on your head, just don't let the beater hit the tape...
Yesterday I have made an experiment on my old kick head, which needs desperate replacement :D to "glue" the Falam Slam pads back on it. I used a little spray glue which worked fine. You may want to try this with a piece of an old head. Just be sure the glue is good for plastics.

trstn

Thats not a bad idea...
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT