Right Now by Van Halen

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Is this an awesome song or what?!

Yes.
14
82%
No.
3
18%
 
Total votes: 17
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:59 pm

That is an f-in'mazing song!!! But I MUST know what kind of Ride he is using! Is that a 2002??? Because the bell is f-in insane!!! :O It sounds sooooooo awesome!!! Help me figure out what ride it is!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Macon, GA

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 pm

http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml

This site has his set-up. It says he's using the 3000, but I'm not sure if that's the one he used to record RIGHT NOW. That's an awesome freakin' song man. I once tried to figure out the piano at the beginning, but gave up after an hour of getting nowhere.
Image

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
User avatar
drummert2k
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am
Location: Northumberland, PA

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:32 pm

i really hope no one actually votes that this is not an awesome song!
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:38 pm

drummert2k wrote:i really hope no one actually votes that this is not an awesome song!


Hell yah, it's a true classic. But watch, some punk or emo drummer comes in here and is all like, OH THAT SONG IS STUPID. So their answer will therefore be void. :P lol
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 pm

drumsforlife wrote:http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml

This site has his set-up. It says he's using the 3000, but I'm not sure if that's the one he used to record RIGHT NOW. That's an awesome freakin' song man. I once tried to figure out the piano at the beginning, but gave up after an hour of getting nowhere.


If he used a 3000 on that song, then I am screwed. They don't make 3000's anymore. =/ I hope he use like a Sig Power Bell Ride or something....
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 889
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:05 am
Location: Macon, GA

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:48 pm

phoenix7289 wrote:
drumsforlife wrote:http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml

This site has his set-up. It says he's using the 3000, but I'm not sure if that's the one he used to record RIGHT NOW. That's an awesome freakin' song man. I once tried to figure out the piano at the beginning, but gave up after an hour of getting nowhere.


If he used a 3000 on that song, then I am screwed. They don't make 3000's anymore. =/ I hope he use like a Sig Power Bell Ride or something....


Yea I remember when I first heard this song, I thought that the bell on his ride was amazing. It just cuts through everything with a loud "PING!" I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same effect by mic'ing your ride, right at the bell. I know different cymbals have different sounds, but I'm pretty sure that it would be pretty close. If anything else, mic the ride like I said, record into a multitrack, and change the pitch of that particular mic. Works for me.
Image

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
User avatar
Steven McTowelie
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:16 pm
Location: South Park, CO

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:00 pm

it's definitely a great song!
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:13 pm

drumsforlife wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:
drumsforlife wrote:http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml

This site has his set-up. It says he's using the 3000, but I'm not sure if that's the one he used to record RIGHT NOW. That's an awesome freakin' song man. I once tried to figure out the piano at the beginning, but gave up after an hour of getting nowhere.


If he used a 3000 on that song, then I am screwed. They don't make 3000's anymore. =/ I hope he use like a Sig Power Bell Ride or something....


Yea I remember when I first heard this song, I thought that the bell on his ride was amazing. It just cuts through everything with a loud "PING!" I'm pretty sure you could achieve the same effect by mic'ing your ride, right at the bell. I know different cymbals have different sounds, but I'm pretty sure that it would be pretty close. If anything else, mic the ride like I said, record into a multitrack, and change the pitch of that particular mic. Works for me.


I don't have the money for a mic. XD I am though thinking of getting a new ride, I've only got a Sabian B8. I am looking at many possibilities.. if only my Sam Ash carried more Paistes. :( All they have really are some low-ends and a few 2002s.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
stump
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2916
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:56 am
Location: Columbia, SC

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:08 pm

phoenix7289 wrote:That is an f-in'mazing song!!! But I MUST know what kind of Ride he is using! Is that a 2002??? Because the bell is f-in insane!!! :O It sounds sooooooo awesome!!! Help me figure out what ride it is!

That my friend is a Paiste 3000 22" ride. Check it out! http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml
Last edited by stump on Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Image
User avatar
Naomi McFadyen
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:48 am
Location: Manchester, UK

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:16 pm

listening to it now.... :D
User avatar
drummert2k
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am
Location: Northumberland, PA

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:59 pm

whoever voted no on this poll should put down there drum sticks, burn their kit and never touch anything meant to make music ever again.
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:26 pm

drummert2k wrote:whoever voted no on this poll should put down there drum sticks, burn their kit and never touch anything meant to make music ever again.


Hell yah... they will go to Drummer's Hell!!!!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:27 pm

stump wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:That is an f-in'mazing song!!! But I MUST know what kind of Ride he is using! Is that a 2002??? Because the bell is f-in insane!!! :O It sounds sooooooo awesome!!! Help me figure out what ride it is!

That my friend is a Paiste 3000 22" ride. Check it out! http://www.classicvanhalen.com/bios_avh.shtml


I think even you, Lover-of-Sweet-Rides-Man needs to say, that ride is the God-Ride. ^_^
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:02 pm

Uh...Not ALL punk drummers will bash this song! I am a punk drummer but I came up listenin to straight up rock n' roll and this is a truly classic rock song that EVERYONE should have in their cd collection!
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Illinois

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:33 pm

Call me Gideon wrote:Uh...Not ALL punk drummers will bash this song! I am a punk drummer but I came up listenin to straight up rock n' roll and this is a truly classic rock song that EVERYONE should have in their cd collection!


Then I will change it to most punk drummers. :wink: Practically every punk I've met in person though had terrible taste in music. XD
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.