Sometimes it doesn't pay to have good stuff

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

The Wes
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:07 pm

i just recently played at House Of Blues at Disneyland, and they had a SWEET DW silver sparkle kit with all 5000 hardware and sabian AAX cymbals. i brought my custom snare, all my own (Zildjian a custom) cymbals, and my bass pedal (single pearl eliminator). the kit had single ply, clear, evans head all the way around, and something ive been seeing more of lately: small 1.5" duct tape squares going from the rim onto the head, but there is a pinched up crease in the middle (im not sure, but i think this is to pull it up easier)... anyways, the kit was the most pure-sounding, beautiful tone i have heard in a kit; not to mention it was very 'player friendly' and felt very comfortable like my own kit, even though i have 3 rack toms and one floor, they had 2 rack/2 floors. those sound techs get you dialed in within the first 11 seconds of the song, so the kit sounded awesome.

sooooo, sorry to hear about your bad experience. i guess it jut depends on the quality of the venue.. :)
Wes Langdon

Pearl Drums & Hardware
Zildjian Cymbals
Remo Heads
Promark Sticks
Jones Custom Drums Endorser

Myspace.com/wlangdon
Myspace.com/thewesdrummer
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm

DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON BATTLE OF THE BANDS!!!!!!!!

I have refused gigs because of the "stage kit" situation
My former band members used it as an example of my uncompromising ways
"You cost us gigs because you wouldn't play someone else's kit"
If any of you have seen pics of my kit then you understand how long it takes to set up
Unfortunately, no one gives me credit for getting to the club most of the time before even the staff arrives
That's why I hate clubs
That's why I have my own PA and a one man band
I can play anywhere and don't have to be at the mercy of the conveyor belt

I will NEVER participate on a BOB
Going overseas is gonna be a challenge though
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:19 pm

yeah that sucks, I got into situation using other peoples kits and it's just not me. I play my own kit like a pro, you put me on someone elses kit and I just don't sound as good. So I refuse to use anyones equipment anymore, plus I a very heavy hitter and would rather not break someone elses gear.
Dream Big, Live the Life

Kyle
stump

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:13 pm

Oh the life and trials of gigging!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 pm

The Wes wrote: .....small 1.5" duct tape squares going from the rim onto the head, but there is a pinched up crease in the middle (im not sure, but i think this is to pull it up easier)...

THis is called a "fin", and works just like a cooling fin on an engine. If you put your finger on the fin when you hit the drum, you'll feel how much resonance is being sapped out of the head.

I've been doing that for years. Cures a Moongel habit just like that. :)
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 am

BillRayDrums wrote:
The Wes wrote: .....small 1.5" duct tape squares going from the rim onto the head, but there is a pinched up crease in the middle (im not sure, but i think this is to pull it up easier)...

THis is called a "fin", and works just like a cooling fin on an engine. If you put your finger on the fin when you hit the drum, you'll feel how much resonance is being sapped out of the head.

I've been doing that for years. Cures a Moongel habit just like that. :)

Or a flag, here in Tx.
yee freakin' haw
demonicAngel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:50 am

i feel your pain!

the best thing you can do is just bite your tougne and make everyone realise how much of an asshole he is.

fortunetly, i dont fall into this problem any longer.

(situation)
-i am teaching my guitarists how to play the drums. So they can help me set up before a gig anyways.
-i use a very small kit, i get all the sounds i want from them.... floor tom, bass drum, snare, hats, ride, crash, effects crash, double bass... NO mounted toms, NO other cymbals. Easy tuning, easy transportation.

*IMPORTANT*
People in my bands are MARRIED or not interested in dating, so they dont hit on everyone they meet.

hope this helps you guys/girls in anyway.
Cheers,
alex.
crackheadback
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:59 am

Sounds like this guy plays with too much shit on stage. Scale down, have your shit ready to go....its common courtesy to the other drummers.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:46 am

not everybody's into minimalism~

the original poster said : "Now I use all my cymbals, and all my drums in almost every song. It would've sacrificed the integrity of the songs if I tried to 'make do'. "

this starts to get into the kind of shows/venues you're booking though. It's going to be tough to do multi-band free-for-all's with bigger kits, that's just something I guess we have to face. But I think recommending a compromise in the kind of kit setup you want to play is like telling people not to play their whole song, it's too long; or saying 'fire your second guitarist' he's taking up too much room.

I could be wrong though~
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:38 pm

m wrote:not everybody's into minimalism~

the original poster said : "Now I use all my cymbals, and all my drums in almost every song. It would've sacrificed the integrity of the songs if I tried to 'make do'. "

this starts to get into the kind of shows/venues you're booking though. It's going to be tough to do multi-band free-for-all's with bigger kits, that's just something I guess we have to face. But I think recommending a compromise in the kind of kit setup you want to play is like telling people not to play their whole song, it's too long; or saying 'fire your second guitarist' he's taking up too much room.

I could be wrong though~

I always get annoyed when we are doing a show and the band before us is taking far too long to set up their gear. On a multi-band show I always expect to run late, but anything over 30 minutes of setting your stuff up, that should come out of your set time.

Some tips for playing on a multi-band bill:

1. Set up your gear off-stage and when it's time to get on stage, bring it up and place it in it's proper place. Make the necessary adjustments and you are off and rolling.

2. When leaving the stage, take your kit off to the side, then tear it down. Nothing sucks worse than having some bonehead slowly removing their cymbals, watching them open cases, put the drums into the cases right there on stage. The stage, when shared with other bands, is the performance area....not the breakdown area.

A few weeks ago a band I'm with were on a bill with 2 other groups. The first band was of the "we're friends of the owner, we will start when we feel like it." My guys and I had a little talk and decided that if we were not on stage by 10:30 (our allotted time to start) we would just bail out, and the crowd we brought would leave as well. (one of our members has a job that starts insanely early) This did NOT bode well with the owner, as our people were the majority. Needless to say, the cavalier attitude of the preceeding band was set straight by the owner, and we got our set in at the proper time.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:26 pm

I did a battle of the bands once at Best Buy. It was rediculous. We got beat out by a some singer/guitarist solo guy who was better-looking than us. You have to consider who's doing the judging. In this case it was a group of store managers. What do they know?
drumhooligan
new
new

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:58 pm

lol @ carrot top
What gigs are you guys playing at in Colorado?
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:00 pm

m wrote: But I think recommending a compromise in the kind of kit setup you want to play is like telling people not to play their whole song, it's too long; or saying 'fire your second guitarist' he's taking up too much room.

I could be wrong though~

I played a multi-band show one night at a sports bar that had very little room. Granted it was only three bands playing, and we were last, I still went around to each of the drummers and called a meeting outside. The best thing we came up with was to ask the manager if we could move a couch a little bit out of the way to make more room, then off to the side of the stage, set up all three of our kits side-by-side. We were lucky that we all had small 4 or 5 piece kits because we were cramped as it was, I'd hate to think of trying to fit three ten-pieces in there. Anyway, the way I look at it is like this. I have a small kit. It's not going to kill me or the integrity of the songs my band plays to restructure my part a little bit. I don't mind it when the sound guys ask me to scale it down a bit to give more room, but if they're gonna rush me when I show up before the staff arrives, and there's plenty of room on the stage, and they still ask me to scale down to save time/space, somebody's gonna get hurt. Heh, call me flexible in that respect, but I'm not so flexible when you don't show me the same courtesy. Even though I haven't experienced what this guy has, I can sympathize with him. Jerk sound guys/staff really are a buzz kill...

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

crackheadback wrote:Sounds like this guy plays with too much shit on stage. Scale down, have your shit ready to go....its common courtesy to the other drummers.

I wouldn't care, I would think it is funny the more I dwarf them. ^_^
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:51 pm

if you play multiband shows you have to learn to setup and teardown quickly. I tune and set up off stage that way when getting on stage I can usually set up in about 5 mins and can be off stage in about 2. I have a big set and have learned to make due with short times. I will not play backline or someone elses set. I know how to setup quickly and I know how my drums should sound. these festivals and BOTB shows usually suck anyway so we try to stay away.