unorthodox drum sets

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Northdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Alan White of Yes played a set of North Drums. Thats where I saw them first. I don't have any trouble tuning mine, the only downfall is that there is no bottom head, so you don't get that nice full sound out of them. On the upside...they are loud as hell!
"How much for your women?"
The Blues Brothers
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 pm

m wrote:
Rockula! wrote:Regarding the ambidextro kit
Is that a Point Tremolo center bd pedal?

Yep, it's a PT Offset pedal; I own one of those too. Haven't been using it much lately, just can't quite seem to get it up to speed with my Axis A's.

I built a "center pedal" by reversing the direction of an old pearl double bass pedal
I then clamped it to the main pedal of my DW
It was rickety and it fell apart after about a year but I still wanna have the real thing
I'll try to find a pic
You say irritant, I say catalyst
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:20 pm

EOTE_drummer wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:
lousypadrummer wrote:Mike Mangini had a set of almost all roto-toms years ago. I saw it on an old Steve Vai video. It was kind of odd looking.

How many different size Roto Toms can one get?! And do they even make like different types for different sounds???

ive seen a set of 16'' and 18'' so im guessing its possible. now i'd like 2 see a roto bass drum :wink:

Holy hell that would be insane!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:25 pm

drummert2k wrote:
lousypadrummer wrote:Mike Mangini had a set of almost all roto-toms years ago. I saw it on an old Steve Vai video. It was kind of odd looking.

Here it is!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jLwTkdeResc&mode=related&search=

.........I'm speechless.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:26 pm

Rockula! wrote:
m wrote:
Rockula! wrote:Regarding the ambidextro kit
Is that a Point Tremolo center bd pedal?

Yep, it's a PT Offset pedal; I own one of those too. Haven't been using it much lately, just can't quite seem to get it up to speed with my Axis A's.

I built a "center pedal" by reversing the direction of an old pearl double bass pedal
I then clamped it to the main pedal of my DW
It was rickety and it fell apart after about a year but I still wanna have the real thing
I'll try to find a pic

Sonor makes one of these beasts also I saw on musiciansfriend.com Only their's is $1,000. XD How much is one of these???
m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 pm

It was my understanding that the Sonor pedal was discontinued, supposedly for patent infringement on the Offset design.
I'm surprised to see it on the MF site- last I heard Sonor had taken it off their own page.

I got my Offset for under $299.00 at Ray Fransen's in Louisiana; they have the fastest shipping I've ever experienced!
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:56 pm

m wrote:It was my understanding that the Sonor pedal was discontinued, supposedly for patent infringement on the Offset design.
I'm surprised to see it on the MF site- last I heard Sonor had taken it off their own page.

I got my Offset for under $299.00 at Ray Fransen's in Louisiana; they have the fastest shipping I've ever experienced!

Hmm I'll go see if it's still up....
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:58 pm

m
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 pm

yeah, it's back on the Sonor site now too, maybe they cleared it all up.
man, that's pricey!
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 pm

m wrote:yeah, it's back on the Sonor site now too, maybe they cleared it all up.
man, that's pricey!

All of the Giant Step or w.e Sonor pedals are insane! A single kick is like, more expensive than even the TRICK SINGLE STEP!! :O
Jee
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:01 am

My kit-

Shot at 2007-06-28

Rockulas' snare is awesome.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 am

Jee wrote:My kit-

wow! you like 'em big, eh? nice
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm

Jee wrote:My kit-

Wowsa!! Those are some big-ass drums!

I knew a guy in Jackson Ms. who had mounted floor tom legs on a 12x14 snare drum. Was it a floor tom, or was it a snare drum? I dunno, it sounded pretty amazing....
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:25 pm

That kick drum is huge. how deep is your snare?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:46 pm

Large'ness.