Protecting your ears

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

vinniesfollower
new
new

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:34 am

I just recently purchased a pair of Vic Firth SIH1 Isolation Headphones and they are superb quality for less than 60 dollars Canadian. You may be passionate about drumming but ear protection is almost as important as your playing.
triggagnomic
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:40 am

I use 'Doc's Pro Plugs for rehearsal.... they cost about £12/$24 and cut out nearly all the high frequencies that hurt my ears. They also make the drums sound better because they cut the ultra low frequencies down a bit too. In fact they make me play a bit softer into the bargain!

For live gigs I have a cheap monitoring system I bought consisting of a 10 track mixer and headphones. That way, not only do I get a significant reduction in volume, but I can also change the mix to suit my needs. (especially useful when dealing with guitarists....!) I understand that it's a lot of money to spend, (£80/$160 for the desk, £60/$120 for Sure In-ear monitoring) but considering the money we have to spend on cymbals/drums/sticks/heads etc, it's a small price to pay to keep my hearing! Hope this helps.....
brfdrums
new
new

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:33 am

i use in-ear monitors at rehearsal and in live settings. yes they can get costly, but, absolutely worth it.
Alexander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:58 am

BillRayDrums wrote:I use the Hearos brand
http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

Don't waste your money on the custom molds. Reason why is that while they seal completely to your ear canal, when you open your mouth the shape of your ear canal changes slightly, therefore "breaking the seal". The Hearos I linked to stay sealed, and they are exponentially less expensive (like 12 times)....Custom Ear molds- $150-200. Hearos- $14.99

If you are not using hearing protection now, eventually you will have to stick something in your ears. They're called "hearing aids". I have what is called "nerve deafness" where if there is background noise and you are right in my face, I cannot understand one word you say.

BillRayDrums is right! Those Musician's Hearos are the Best! My whole band wears them during practice & gigs so that WE'RE ALL HEARING THE SAME THING AT ALL TIMES & NOT GOING DEAF :!: I used to wear those Sonic II filters from 1989-1991 but they cannot campare to those Hearos above! My hearing is perfect still! Thanx to being told to wear ear plugs when I was a basher of drums & cymbals. Now that I play more Fusionesque or Jazz type music my filters are PERFECT! BUY THEM MUSICIAN'S HEAROS FOR $14.99!

:D
~ Alex.
See my Band "ToneDrones" & Drum pix @ 2 MySpace URLs:

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/tonedrones &

Me Self: http://www.myspace.com/alexander23
jaredribble
new
new

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:30 pm

I am surprised no one has mentioned WESTONE! http://www.westone.com/

Your audiologist will certainly know of them. They design earplugs, and in ear monitors. If you get the $150.00 molded earplugs with the filters you will be amazed. When I first put them in, I did not believe they worked because the cymbals were so crisp, etc. Visually the audience would never see them, people can talk around you, and you can still hear them, etc. They have less expensive models, but I strongly recommend the molded earplugs with the filters. Your audiologist will be able to take the molds and send them in to Westone for you.

I am actually blown away that people would buy heads, and cymbals before they would take care of their ears. You can't get new ears, but you can be patient and save up to buy new gear anytime. Be smart guys!
Jared Ribble
www.advantagemusicproduction.com
myspace.com/jaredribble

Jared Ribble endorses: Attack Drum Heads, Axis Percussion, Istanbul-Agop Cymbals, Ludwig Drums, and Pro-Mark Drum Sticks
demonathic
new
new

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:37 pm

just use tissues - bundled up tightly, helps out alot. Used ear plugs, and they over-did it for me... or maybe my hearing's already screwed up?
:?
ummm....?!?

Tug those ears to myspace.com/icrisis
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:24 pm

jaredribble wrote:I am surprised no one has mentioned WESTONE! http://www.westone.com/

Your audiologist will certainly know of them. They design earplugs, and in ear monitors. If you get the $150.00 molded earplugs with the filters you will be amazed. When I first put them in, I did not believe they worked because the cymbals were so crisp, etc. Visually the audience would never see them, people can talk around you, and you can still hear them, etc. They have less expensive models, but I strongly recommend the molded earplugs with the filters. Your audiologist will be able to take the molds and send them in to Westone for you.

I am actually blown away that people would buy heads, and cymbals before they would take care of their ears. You can't get new ears, but you can be patient and save up to buy new gear anytime. Be smart guys!

I was saying that the custom molds (Westones) are a bit superfluous because as you move your jaw when you play, the seal breaks slightly and effects the way sound comes in....for me, anyway. I've been through 4 pairs of custom molds (as in 4 trips to the audiologist).... the Hearo's provide better results and are 10 times cheaper.
Mongore
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I use silicon moulded plugs. Cost me NZD$200 to get done but holy shit are they good.
Majestyfan
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:05 pm

Yea, I use Heroes earplugs.. love 'em.
Rock on!
BLS2112
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm

shiebcte wrote:Theres now 3 guitarists, 2 vocalists, a bassist and me in my band, and its getting rather loud in my basement. Im starting to get worried about my hearing and im wondering if any of you know of anything to protect my ears without canceling out all the sounds i need to hear.

Shooting headsets...Firing range type...For rehearsal...
Gander Mountain or Dick's sell good ones...With various DB blocking...
They even make your drums sound better... ':oI
Yamaha Beech Custom, old Ludwig Supra-Phonic, Black Beauties or Ocheltree snares, Zildjian, DW pedals, Vic Firth 3A/5A/or 8D dependent on music & mood, and Pearl Racks..."Mainly"
And Microsoft free...
Buenos Nochas Meinen Freunden... ';o]
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:39 pm

i just ues shooting ear plug they work perfect and there cheep :D
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:28 am

i use those foam ear plugs and they work great, i just need a guitar amp close to me when im playing a show
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste
simeonrodgers
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:34 am

use the earplugs that look like christmas trees <<<-... bit like that? they are real cheap but do a good job of lowering volume but not affecting different frequencies... so you can still hear the band.

For personal practice you can also get away with the foam ones

For me the big shooting style headphones get a bit hot but do a valid job just the same...

JUST REMEMBER TO ALWAYS WHERE PROJECTION BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

Cheers
Yamaha Drums
Ludwig Snares
DW Hardware
Istanbul Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks