anyone else hate Guitar Center as much as i do?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 am

More often than not, my local Five Star Dealer's everyday prices are cheaper than Guitar Center's "sale" prices.
www.MySpace.com/BonoBeats
Groove
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:24 am

Daneman wrote:More often than not, my local Five Star Dealer's everyday prices are cheaper than Guitar Center's "sale" prices.

Word!

Our prices are almost ALWAYS lower.

The sad part is that most people don't know just how destructive GC and MF is to the ENTIRE industry.
D. Shane Fowlkes
www.JustDrumsOnline.com
www.MySpace.com/JustDrums
stump

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:22 pm

I use musiciansfriend.com or americanmusical.com. Check them out!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Im gonna let you guys in on a little GC secret Musicians Friend is owned by GC. So when you order from MF you acctually order from GC.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:36 pm

iatemygoat wrote:the people that work dont know shit from shit. i asked for some vater slick nuts once and the guy had no idea what i was talking about. he had to get out the vater catalog. also i once went in to pick up a pack of sticks, thats it. i was in there for 45 fucking minutes!

and now the kicker with GC happened yesterday. i ordered a new spring on thursday(supposedly). i call the guy yesterday and he says "oh yeah ive been trying to get a hold of DW but its really hard to get through to them" bullshit. he neglected to tell me i needed to pay for the part first before he could order it. so now im freaking out because im playing 3 shows on the weekend 2 of which are out of state.

anyway so i go in to order the things and i end up talking to someone i knew there about what i was getting. while the guy is looking up the stuff needed to order my part he overhears what were talking about and he says,
"oh you just needed a spring?" apparently he thought i needed an entire spring assembly. so i get my springs and fortunately everything turned out ok.

ive had nothing but bad luck with this store and the only reason i keep going back is because there convenient and usually have the best price.

If you can handle mail order, try these guys; I have had great luck with them!
http://www.interstatemusic.com

or 1-800-in-a-band

skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:37 pm

Daneman wrote:More often than not, my local Five Star Dealer's everyday prices are cheaper than Guitar Center's "sale" prices.
Here here - love those Five Star drum shops!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:42 pm

andybfrank wrote:I like Guitar Center because it is one of the few places you can go where they have a bunch of different stuff that you can actually see and play side by side all at once. I will agree that the employees aren't necessarily very knowledgable, but who cares when you can look at everything and try it out yourself? People at smaller shops might know more, but their inventory sucks and a lot of them, in my experience, talk down to you and like to make you feel stupid if you have a question about something or demand more out of them. Also, the smaller shops have usually overcharged me for everything. I've been able to get discounts on display models at Guitar Center. Smaller shops would tell you to get lost if you asked for that.

I will say all the noise in there is pretty obnoxious. Do your research online before you go in. Then, just concentrate when you go into the store and you are comparing items or whatever. Be assertive with the clerks and don't let them push something on you that you don't want. It can be done. Show me an alternative to Guitar Center that has as big of an inventory, is close to my house, but less of the negatives, and I will gladly shop there and never go back to GC. Until then, I'll keep shopping at GC.

I have never had a problem with smaller shops but I do hate being called "Dude" or "Bro" when I walk into a Guitar Center. As far as being overcharged, if you don't ask, you don't get. I went into guitar center the other day to get a falam salam patch and the guy at the counter treated me like I was ancient for not using Aquarian SuperKick II bass drum heads!
If I wanted a crappy sounding kick drum, I would use them. And I don't recall asking for a bass drum head!
EyeJuan2Rock
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:32 pm

I've never felt luckier to live in Atlanta, than after reading this thread. GC isn't the end all be all music store, and YES Rockula, MARS was the shiznit of music stores. Miss them tons, because there were one of the few around town that would let you play stuff w/out hassle.

But for a drummer, there are tons of other stores, even specialty stores, around Atlanta to spend your $ wisely. Atlanta Pro Percussion is pretty cool, although their prices aren't the best on the smaller everyday stuff. But they have plenty of everything, and they'll let you play stuff. Ken Stanton Music in NW Atlanta is also great. I haven't been in GC in a long time, but the last time I was there, I had a long interesting conversation w/an older guy who was working drums who purportedly played w/Ted Nugent for a long time. He seemed to know his stuff, wasn't pushy, and was very friendly. The rest of the staff, Meh? Maybe it's a regional thing, or I just haven't been there recently enough, but they didn't seem as bad as posters are repping them in this thread, to me.
christopherabruce
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:19 am

With GC it's hit and miss. I usually don't have many problems with the workers in pro audio, but the drums dept. is a whole other story. Sometimes they know what you want right away, and many, many, many other times I need to explain more than is reasonably necessary. But, here in Chicago, I'm luck enough to have three drum shops to choose from, so most of my drum purchases are from one of those three.

Christopher
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:56 am

I've got a recent GC story for ya. The top hoop on my snare was bent so I stopped in GC, on my way home from work, to pick one up. I happen to know one of the guys that works in the drum dept, not well but I know him. I tell him that I need an 8 lug top snare hoop. He's all like,"Yeah we got that" and goes diggin for it. He hands it to me and I don't even bother looking at it (C'mon, it's a snare hoop not rocket science) and I get home, start working on my snare and lo and behold, he's given me a snare side hoop. I guess I really don't need to say more about it.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
drummer4thefreaks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 am

We don't have GC in the UK (that i know of), but when i went to Florida on holiday 2 years ago i found one, and decided to explore. I didnt buy anything, just looked around, and there was a guy following me around the whole bloody store. Either he was suspicious, or just loved my accent being that im from the UK. Might go back next time i go to Florida, probably next year, but from what i could gather on a first impression, there are better drum stores. Franchise drum store businesses seem to be a little... shit, compared to the little firms lol.
PalmdaleDrumming4Life
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 pm

there's a GC real close to my house so most times i go there but ya most times i know more about their merchendise than they do but what i really hate is when you know you know more but they think they no everything and they feed you bullshit. i prefer SAM ASH it has way better selection and everyone there knows their product and dont try to hassle you.
turbonathan
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:52 pm

INTERSTATEMUSIC.COM [or] Order a free color catalog and never turn back. They're based out of Wisconsin, so for me in Illinois, standard shipping gets me my stuff in 2 days, sans the expedited shipping costs. I've ordered from them since I was a sophomore in high school, never had a single problem. I've ordered from DRUMSONSALE.COM once, very nice, everything under the sun in stock, just not listed on the website, free shipping but it's out of Massachusetts, so it's takes a while to get to IL. Yeah, Interstate Music is my number one. Well, ebay is always number one...then Interstate.
"I'm not waging a war, I'm imposing peace through violent means." -gm
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:06 am

Rockula! wrote:
bam bam3 wrote:i dont hate them because their the only store that sells drums in dallas i havnt been able to locate any mom and pop shops or custom shops i will continue to look though

I work at Larry Morgan Music in Garland Tx (just north of Dallas)
We are an indie store so we don't have as big of selection as GC
There also is a great store called Lone Star Percussion in the same area
Lone Star is a mail order service with a small storefront
You can't go in to shop and look around but they pretty much ahve EVERYTHING and if they don't, they have to contacts to get it

Call us up and see if we have what you want and if not, we can talk to Lone Star about getting it

Oh yeah, if you are on the West side of Dallas, there's Murphy's music (we do a lot of cross trading when a customer wants something either of us don't have)

Hope to hear from you

There is also Troy's drum shop in Farmer's Branch on I-35 (northbound side, right next to a corvette dealership). Troy is very cool, knowledgeable and has everything from beginner kits to high end spaun, pork pie,etc kits.
yee freakin' haw
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Just because you had bad service dosn't mean you should hate the guitar center mabe you should complain i have never had any problems with the place