high quality drumless (mp3 320Kbps, optional click track)

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Rango » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

hello, all!

not long ago a whole bunch of original songs "minus drums" (drumless) - Metallica, Blink-182, RHCP etc., - have appeared on forums, torrents... the problem was - almost all mp3s that I downloaded were not good in terms of quality: low bitrate, sometimes distortion (peaks, pops), mono where it should be stereo, etc. I asked myself where did they come from and is it possible obtain better quality... ok, I found out.. they leaked from Guitar Hero and Rock Band games series (multitracks).

last months I did a lot of research and now I know how to re-mix and re-compress any of these tracks in pristine quality - almost like a CD... key features, that I implemented, behold:

- use of in-game data (internal Rock Band files) to properly balance 13-14 mono-channels (pan to the left, right, or mid) and attenuate them (i.e. guitar should be -3.0 dB softer, vocals -1.7 dB or vice versa)
- in-game tempo-map gives oportunity to add metronome
- a decent resampler, when source tracks are not in 44.1 kHz (all Guitar Hero games, for instance)
- all processing go with 32-bit float precision
- normalization after mixing (this prevents clipping and detail loss)
- encode final mix at 320Kbps mp3 without audible loss

voila! ) to be honest, it is not so easy and takes about 15-20 min of working (especially if you want click-track).

as you see, I learned to make drumless songs with click-track, this is useful for recording and practicing. Also I can make drum-part solo's (only drums), for fun or study (you may hear interesting nuances in performance when all channels, except drums, are muted).

yes, I am a computer geek ) congratulations are accepted ))

here some examples of my work, try it
Code: Select all
http://www.wupload.com/file/2656013722/drumless-pack.rar

this is a pack of 5 songs:

Coldplay - In My Place
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone
Metallica - One
Oasis - Wonderwall
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow ((Hey Oh))

please, give me feedback... thank you!
Rango
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Return to General Drum Set Discussion