metal bass drums...

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

paiste2002dude
new
new

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm

whats good for playing metal? 20"? 22"? Or?? Guys like Raymond Herrera and Jimmy Spencer are playing 20's. What do you think and why?
Timekeep69

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Both are good. I play metal and I use 24" bass drums.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:31 am

If you trigger, it won't matter too much. I prefer 22s, 20s look small to me.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
paiste2002dude
new
new

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:21 pm

well....I look at from a physics standpoint and I can see how the 20" would have an advantage over a 24" in that it holds less volume of air and it takes less to push it through.But you got guys running 18" and 20" depths.....whats the diff?
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:09 am

More sound, you don't need anything deeper than a 20", but 18 is pretty standard.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
trickbunny
new
new

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 am

This is not an easy question to answer because there are so many variables. What kind of wood the drum is made from, depth, head selection, etc.

From my own experience, I prefer to use a 24" kick for live shows. I have a Premier Signia set with a 24" bass drum and it has a healthy amount of punch and low end. Meanwhile, I also have a lower-end Sonor kit made of basswood with a 22" bass drum. Having recorded with both, the 22" sounds a little cleaner and punchier on tape, but also lacks the low frequencies the 24" provides.

One thing is for sure- I wouldn't touch a 20" bass drum because, IMO, there are only two uses for a bass drum that small: playing bebop jazz or playing anything else as long as the bass drum is miked up. If you're playing in any kind of loud/metal/punk/whatever band, I think a 20" kick will sound pretty wimpy trying to compete with heavy metal volume. The reason you hear of some guys in well known bands using a 20" kick live or in the studio is because it's always miked up. Take that microphone away and it's gonna be kinda anti-climactic :)

For rock or metal, you can't go wrong with a 22"... but for me, I'd still prefer a 24". I've had a couple of those that could blow the windows out in a room, ha ha...
TibronGyori
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 am

It also depends on tuning, bigger bass drum lower tuning although a 22" by 20" gets fantastic results