views on "success"

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:52 pm

It's true as Allan says. You don't know what's ahead. In that, success can be a changing goal. At age 25 after playing for about 16 years I got engaged. I had played professionally for over 10 years. I was a solid member of the Denver music scene. I would not admit it then but my goals changed dramatically. I wanted a career with solid income. I wanted to have children and for my wife to be at home with them. All these things came true. I was a success. For a price of course. Music was off the radar. Oh, my drums were set up but I had no musical plan. No direction. Sometimes I'd practice an hour a week than may be miss 2 months. Now @ 38 my children are older. I have a plan. we'll see??? My goals a pretty big. Feel like I've done this before. I'm not saying that I would have to earn my families living by playing the drums to be succesful but, it would be nice. Any one want to buy a restaurant?
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:31 am

I wish i could make my living , just playing...that would be heaven for me....unfortunately i like big toys and have expensive taste , so I too hold a regular 40hr. But the day job has always been there to support my night job....The goal for me is simple...I want to be published at least once a year and gain respected notoriety in my field - I just want to make my mark in the books like everyone else. A recorded event of my efforts, something to show for the work I have done over that year. So lately , I have been pushing to get a CD from each band by the end of the year. After that then the PR work begins,etc...maybe someday that will lead to something bigger. But success comes with happiness. If you are happy,living comfortably, doing what you want to do, then you are a success. You don't have to be a superstar to be a success.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

But success comes with happiness. If you are happy,living comfortably, doing what you want to do, then you are a success. You don't have to be a superstar to be a success.

That's well true, happiness is the key to life, being content. It's hard to be content with what your doing with drumming because you just want to keep getting better, and after a while gigs you play that you would have killed for when you started out, dont feel as impressive as they usually should.

Now and again you have to look at the big picture and appreciate that youve got that far, and that you could be sitting around the house wasting your life! You always want what you cant get anyway lol
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:01 am

screamkevin wrote:As long as there is one person enjoying what I'm playing, I'm successful.

Absolutely
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 am

To me success as part of my band is just having as many people get into us as possible and let them have fun along with the band. Personally as a drummer its practicing as much as possible and mastering the techniques that take time to for you to get down.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 am

Just to make it clear; success to me isn't playing in front of 10k people, it's a dream. I can imagine that the number will increase once you've played in front of 10k. Oh well, a boy can dream.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

Totally mate. :)
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm

Success is relative to the goals you set for yourself. If I were still working in the context of the "goals" I set for myself when I was 18 (make millions in a rock band, rule the world with the flick of my wrist, etc...), then today I am a failure.
But, as my life progressed, got married, got a college degree, had to pay the bills...I had to adjust my goals. So today, I've got 4 original cd titles under my belt with a band I've been playing with for over 20 years, we consistently draw decent crowds in a notoriously weak original music city, we have fun playing together, and everything else that goes with it - I'll chalk all that up to being successful.
Moshii
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 pm

As soon as I get the band I'm with now on stage, I'd feel successful. I've never made it on stage with a band, and I'd like it to work for once.

...We do need a bassist first. That's really all that's currently in my way.
R to the Core, baby.
imjeffcanudigit
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:38 pm

Alan_ wrote:the metallica thread brought up an interesting point for me: the different viewpoints that different musicians (hell, even the same musician at different points in their life) have on what they consider success/being successful.

I used to think that being in the studios a lot and getting paid to play on a lot of different projects was where I wanted to be. Then I got more involved in a couple bands and thought that I just wanted to dedicate myself to playing with one or two projects at the most at any given time. Then, I got sick with hepatitis b and had to basically give up playing gigs for a couple years, so for a while even picking up sticks felt like winning a major battle. Really put some fire under my ass once I got well enough to start playing out regularly again. Now, I'm working a 40 hr week to make the bills and only taking gigs that I really really want to play with musicians who allow me to have a large say in the direction of the projects. If things keep up the way they are, I'm probably gonna go back to doing a piddly little part-time job to pad the bank account out and get back into playing as my main career directive. I've definitely gone through a bunch of phases with this. It tickles me when kids know EXACTLY how they want their life to pan out. Things may not always go exactly like you think they should, but sometimes this can lead to them going better than you ever thought they could.

Interesting, I'm definitely a kid, I'll just have to try to make wise choices and not dream to big, and also make sure I organize my resources such as time and money accordingly to the different things that may happen in my life.
DRummer BOy Jeff
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 pm

success is just another word for being able to afford a custom drum kit
:lol:
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 pm

^^^^
word. if you can afford a custom kit and then sell it on ebay for 5X the regular price just cuz it has your name on it then your successful.

screamkevin wrote:As long as there is one person enjoying what I'm playing, I'm successful.

as long as it isn't just your mom.

I veiw success as if someone really loves what i'm playing......and if i can impress this girl at school with my playing :oops:
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 am

^^^^^ Awesome, good luck bey lol
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 am

imjeffcanudigit wrote:
Alan_ wrote:the metallica thread brought up an interesting point for me: the different viewpoints that different musicians (hell, even the same musician at different points in their life) have on what they consider success/being successful.

I used to think that being in the studios a lot and getting paid to play on a lot of different projects was where I wanted to be. Then I got more involved in a couple bands and thought that I just wanted to dedicate myself to playing with one or two projects at the most at any given time. Then, I got sick with hepatitis b and had to basically give up playing gigs for a couple years, so for a while even picking up sticks felt like winning a major battle. Really put some fire under my ass once I got well enough to start playing out regularly again. Now, I'm working a 40 hr week to make the bills and only taking gigs that I really really want to play with musicians who allow me to have a large say in the direction of the projects. If things keep up the way they are, I'm probably gonna go back to doing a piddly little part-time job to pad the bank account out and get back into playing as my main career directive. I've definitely gone through a bunch of phases with this. It tickles me when kids know EXACTLY how they want their life to pan out. Things may not always go exactly like you think they should, but sometimes this can lead to them going better than you ever thought they could.

Interesting, I'm definitely a kid, I'll just have to try to make wise choices and not dream to big, and also make sure I organize my resources such as time and money accordingly to the different things that may happen in my life.

Don't be down on it mate, if you want IT (whatever IT is) then you have to get it. Alan is right in his comment, and most peeps who travel the path to IT don't quite get there, but some do! If you work hard enough and starve for it then who is to say what might happen. It may take ages or it may come quick, or not at all. I believe it's necessary to Dream big to get big, period, so don't be shy too. The problem occurs when it don't turn out right, thats when hearts are broken and you potentially become a bitter old fuck(I'm sure we all know one two), floating around in your own deflated dingy somewhere out in your emotional sea. It's how you can deal with the outcome that matters.

As for planning you future and organizing stuff, I left school with shit, and I therefore had shit all. If you have resources then great, but I think it helped me along that I had nothing but a clutch of drumming skill and a sackful of self belief, so my back was to the wall. I came out fighting for my dream and got it (eventually). I have been surrounded by muso's for years who worked other things out in their lives and of course after a few years and the Bus didn't arrive they just dropped off to job land. I had no alternative so I kept my sights high, although battered to hell and full of holes like a WW2 bomber returning home from a sorte! I'm not advising you to mindlessly throw your life away, but if you feel you want to be a pro muso then just bloody go for it and stick to it, otherwise if you have an inclination of going wobbly at the kneese it's not for you and your better off getting an alternative career now to build on, and just continue to enjoy your drumming/making music.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
darkesabre
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 am

I had many ideas of what success for me was over the years. I have boiled it down to this, I have steady income, a great and loving wife, I've raised my kids to be productive members of society. My success in music is that music has always been a part of me and I have used it to help make ends meet from time to time.
My kids are almost out on their own so now I am working on getting a project to go out, have fun and entertain other folks. I don't expect to make a lot of money, just gas and a little extra. As was said before, if one person digs what I do I am a success.
Practice is the great equalizer of the determined over the gifted