views on "success"

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm

the metallica thread brought up an interesting point for me: the different viewpoints that different musicians (hell, even the same musician at different points in their life) have on what they consider success/being successful.

I used to think that being in the studios a lot and getting paid to play on a lot of different projects was where I wanted to be. Then I got more involved in a couple bands and thought that I just wanted to dedicate myself to playing with one or two projects at the most at any given time. Then, I got sick with hepatitis b and had to basically give up playing gigs for a couple years, so for a while even picking up sticks felt like winning a major battle. Really put some fire under my ass once I got well enough to start playing out regularly again. Now, I'm working a 40 hr week to make the bills and only taking gigs that I really really want to play with musicians who allow me to have a large say in the direction of the projects. If things keep up the way they are, I'm probably gonna go back to doing a piddly little part-time job to pad the bank account out and get back into playing as my main career directive. I've definitely gone through a bunch of phases with this. It tickles me when kids know EXACTLY how they want their life to pan out. Things may not always go exactly like you think they should, but sometimes this can lead to them going better than you ever thought they could.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 pm

Sad to hear about this Hepatitis B deal, good thing you're recovering though!

Success to me... tricky one. There's a couple of milestones I have; at least 3 albums (whether they have sold much or not) where I'm happy with at least 80% of the drumming on there. I'm trying to reach the point where I'm satisfied with my own work and I hope I never do, because if I ever do I'd probably loose the motivation to strive for perfection. Usually I'm VERY critical of what I do so I hope that'll never happen.

I'd also like to play for over 10,000 people in a band I like playing in (dreams). I'd like to cover one of my favorite songs (which will change with time anyways) in front of this audience. Why I'd like to play a cover, I dunno, just feels like something to do.

To be honest, when I think about success, I can't really think of anything else than what I mentioned first. The rest are just dreams and I have plenty.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:29 pm

I currently make my (small) living from playing and I love things the way they are, and they're getting better for us. It's looking like the next year is gonna be a better one financially as we'll be making more money and stuff.

As far as my own personal 'success' goes, I think I'm relatively successful on a normal, human level - the dizzy heights of superstardom are a bit ridiculous really and happen to so few people it doesn't seem like a realistic goal. Now I can be more or less self-sufficient through playing music I've reached a level I'm happy to be at personally - anything after this is a big bonus.

Not that I think that I've achieved anything particularly massive, just that for me it's as 'successful' as I aim to be.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:36 pm

aww man, hep b was the most unbelievably crappy disease you can imagine. there was a period of about a year where I had to be helped up and down stairs I was so weak. I had developed cirrhosis of the liver from it. It all in all took me about 4 years to get over it completely. my liver healed itself, in large part I think due to a regimen of herbs and vitamins and really healthy food.

I guess I would say at this point success is having the outlets to write and perform material I love. Things are pretty good right now from that perspective.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:37 pm

randomdrum wrote:I currently make my (small) living from playing and I love things the way they are, and they're getting better for us. It's looking like the next year is gonna be a better one financially as we'll be making more money and stuff.

As far as my own personal 'success' goes, I think I'm relatively successful on a normal, human level - the dizzy heights of superstardom are a bit ridiculous really and happen to so few people it doesn't seem like a realistic goal. Now I can be more or less self-sufficient through playing music I've reached a level I'm happy to be at personally - anything after this is a big bonus.

Not that I think that I've achieved anything particularly massive, just that for me it's as 'successful' as I aim to be.

I have not set superstardom as a goal either, just dreaming to be honest. Who wouldn't want to gig in front of a few thousand people cheering (well hopefully not booing)? :)
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm

I neither crave nor am disgusted by the thought of having a project I play with take off on an international level. The thing about it for me is that if it happens, I still want to maintain complete creative and publishing control. I'd much rather enjoy a career on a smaller level that includes me owning the rights to my own material, as well as being able to make our own decisions on things like which songs go on an album, cover art, etc.
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Alan_ wrote:I neither crave nor am disgusted by the thought of having a project I play with take off on an international level. The thing about it for me is that if it happens, I still want to maintain complete creative and publishing control. I'd much rather enjoy a career on a smaller level that includes me owning the rights to my own material, as well as being able to make our own decisions on things like which songs go on an album, cover art, etc.

Well said words, that's a criteria I forgot but it's something important to me too. I told this to my band mates once and they don't seem to understand it, I'm in no way on the same wavelength as my band mates, I should find a band with more experimental and creative "lust" (whatever the words is :D).
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:47 pm

eml wrote:
randomdrum wrote:I currently make my (small) living from playing and I love things the way they are, and they're getting better for us. It's looking like the next year is gonna be a better one financially as we'll be making more money and stuff.

I have not set superstardom as a goal either, just dreaming to be honest. Who wouldn't want to gig in front of a few thousand people cheering (well hopefully not booing)? :)

Oh but of course! My comment about superstardom wasn't directed at you btw, you posted that as I typed :D Obviously I'd love to do that, by ridiculous I mean unlikely :lol: I think personal success is really measured by how you feel about your situation. If you are where you want to be, then you've succeeded - all other stuff is just added extra (though very welcome of course :D)

And Alan, sounds like a raw deal dude, glad you could get back to good health. Are you completely over it? I've been lucky enough to never have anything like that (touch wood), so I can't imagine how bad it is.
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm

yeah, totally recovered, and the thing is, they really didn't know whether I was gonna make it (live) when I first came down with it. they gave me an antiviral that they normally give to people with HIV, and it worked really well, much better than they thought it would. normally they give people in my situation interferon, but I was too weak for that therapy.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Crazy, man. Glad you pulled through. The human body scares me with it's fragility but simultaneously stuns me with it's resilience :)
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Success is what you make it. To me, success is waking up everyday to live through one more day. We could all be taken at any given moment. If you believe you are successful, then you are. Did you accomplish what you set out to do? The problem is that our own ideas of success rarely stay the same once we reach where we're going. Life is a journey, and to focus on success is to focus on the destination and not the journey. And the journey is what is really important.

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

We may as well enjoy the ride
To live with open eyes
Because the journey is the prize
Don't you know that the road's better than arriving, now
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Living off what you love best is success in my book. I play Drums for a living(and have done for years). It has kicked the shit out of me over the years, but it has also yielded many wonderful moments and some big surprises. As my career has grown I have realised that the goals I had as a young guy looking up had no real relevance to what success really is.

The more successful you get the more you yearn to be more successful. It's bollox really. eml, once you've played 10,000 then you want 20,000, then 30'000, then to headline bla bla. I support my family by working in the Music business with a Band I love playing with. I travel the globe, I pay my bills and have choices in what I do. Thats Kinda success. I used to teach Drums and do local gig's and studio work and pay my bills, that was also kinda success.

As a musician if you can make a room rise to you and your band weather 50 people or 50'000, thats absolutely it. Or if an ex school pupil approaches you after leaving school telling you of their new band that they're in because you started them out, well thats totally on the ONE in my book. If your paying your bills and you chose that then good on you. If your doing it for fun then so be it. I love Mountain bike riding but that don't mean I have to enter the next world championships.

It's late and I've drunk too mush..........rant over. I hope it made some sense.
:? :?
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
screamkevin

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm

As long as there is one person enjoying what I'm playing, I'm successful.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:38 pm

screamkevin wrote:As long as there is one person enjoying what I'm playing, I'm successful.

i agree with this x's a trillion
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth