Why do drum corps wear the chinstrap on their noses?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:49 am

It sort of defeats the purpose of a "chin strap" doesn't it?
yee freakin' haw
stump

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:36 am

It's old school military tradition. Drum (Corps), Military (Corps) = Professional and regimented units. Not just a look in my opinion but a show of respect and an honor of tradition. Peace on ya!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

joshjmj
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:40 am

yeah. i agree with the above. it sets upapart from the rest of the players. it insures that the brims of our hats are always really low over our eyes. wich forces us to look up higher to see the field comander. its both funtional and fashionable. lol
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 am

Gotcha. No offense, but I just think it seems impractical, even when the military does it. Do they actually strap them down in high wind like they were invented to be? If so then I guess it sorta makes sense. Otherwise there would be hats all over the football field.

And on another note, I think they need to involve the drama club director and dance team instructor a little less in the future. I watched last years and some team had people prancing around with picture frames through the whole routine. They were totally out of synch and were very distracting from the rest of the corps performance, and dare I say, fairly sissified. It's called drum corps, not dance/drama corps.
yee freakin' haw
Ericinho6
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Having played in a corps, it wasn't on the nose, but more so right under your bottom lip. Though corps that wore Aussies (like the Santa Clara Vanguard) wore them under their chins because the Aussie's (from what I understood) didn't stay on their heads well enough to wear it under the bottom lip and it could have been a "we don't want to be like most corps" kind of move. But really, it does look better if it's a CHAIN (for one) and under the bottom lip than it does under the chin. But, yeah, it's probably personal opinion, but Shakos (the usual hats you see in DCI and marching bands) stay on the head much better than Aussie's.

But in terms of DCI, they've gone nothing short of downhill and extremely fast in the last 3 to 4 years. They've incorporated things that used to set DCI apart from the typical marching band. Vocals, electronics, and have completely over done the on the field props. Few corps have been able to pull off on the field props, like SCV in 89 (Phantom of the Opera) was probably one of the best displays without a doubt. I miss the old version of DCI...now it seems like they tried to go corporate but instead became a glorified marching band without the woodwinds. You can thank Cadets of Bergen County's director George Hopkins (and the YEA! organization) for that move.
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:14 pm

I was really appalled when I saw a routine where people were riding stick horses. Total B.S. It made me wanna puke.
yee freakin' haw
Ericinho6
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:15 pm

SmellsLikeIan wrote:I was really appalled when I saw a routine where people were riding stick horses. Total B.S. It made me wanna puke.

Wow. That's just ridiculous. I used to follow DCI BIG time and for many years...but haven't in the last 5 because it's a joke anymore. Just like you proved.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 pm

stump wrote:It's old school military tradition. Drum (Corps), Military (Corps) = Professional and regimented units. Not just a look in my opinion but a show of respect and an honor of tradition. Peace on ya!

Hey a little patchouly and lavender oil around that thing and you'll be happy as a clam. :)