tilting bass drum....

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 pm

whats the benefit of extending the legs and lifting the bass drum up

is it for tone or is it feel?
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Adjusting the height of a bass drum is ok as long as you make sure it is leveled towards the ground that means it is parallel! Because if it is not, it will distort the hoop and it muffle the head abit and get of tune so you won't get the best possible sound out of your bass drum!
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:29 pm

For heavy players. Just the slightest tilt to put more weight on the spurs. I guess I hit the pedal hard and I don't like to chase my drums.
scottie gee
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:07 pm

i think this is another feel thing, but there's definitely a magic spot for me... it needs to be just about an inch up in the air, that way the beater has a little less distance to go til impact. When the drum is resting on the floor, it just feels icky to me. and the bottom of my pedal clicks the top of the wing nut that holds it on the drum.. gotta tilt that sucker.
iamadrummer.com
myspace.com/scottisadrummer
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:18 pm

i try to have mine either parallel or just above parallel to the ground. as long as the front hoop isn't touching the ground. this also makes the bottom lugs on that side more accessible for a quick resonant head tune up.
Beat on.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 pm

One reason is that it allows the drum to resonate freely without restriction.
Also, the beater should hit flat on the head. Otherwise, only a portion of the beater will be making impact.
As well, the beater should have to reach past the pedal to hit the drum, it's probably best if the beater shaft is perpendicular to the floor when it makes impact