noob question

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Walkers
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:43 am

hey just got my 1st drum kit and im having trouble assembling the bass tom, i understand that the head goes on the shell and the hoop goes over the sides of the head and then the clips goes over the hoop around the edge of the bass drum to hold the head and the hoops in place on the shell. had no problem with the other drums or the tom mount or anything just this bass drum is annoying me now lol

now if that info is correct, i have a problem the hoops seem to be the same size as the head so it doesnt seem to want to stretch over the head so it just sits on top, now is there something im missing or are the hoops the wrong size for the heads?

if it makes any differance its a gretsch blackhawk kit standard rock size drums
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:52 am

I'm a little confuse as to what you mean?

The bass head will sit on the drum, then the hoop should sit ontop. You will still be able to see the metal ring around the edge of the head on most bass drum hoops.

It should be as easy as the other drums.

If you can post a pic, that would help immensely! :)
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:57 am

The hoop sits on top of the heads flesh hoop....... the crimp hoop on the head is under the wood hoop. Dude.......seriously.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:00 am

if you put the head on the bass drum it should hang over the shell a little, yes?

then put the hoop on top of the head and it should be flush around the outside with the metal hoop on the head, yes?

if yes then put the 'clips' (bass drum claws) and tesion rods on and tighten them up.

in theory, the bass hoops and head are the same size (ie. you can still se the metal ring of the head when fitted), whereas the hoops on toms have a rim that cover the ring of the head.

its pretty hard to explain and i hope i understood what you are trying to say. post pics if you are still unsure!
Walkers
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 am

thanks for all your help i was using a website to help me assemble the bass drum and it said i got to slide the head into the hoop to hold it on but when i went bac up i seen what i had to do, i was just really annoyed that it wouldnt go in when i relaxed and thought about it its pretty obvious really isnt it lol

anyway thank you for your help guys :)
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:06 am

Walkers wrote:thanks for all your help i was using a website to help me assemble the bass drum and it said i got to slide the head into the hoop to hold it on but when i went bac up i seen what i had to do, i was just really annoyed that it wouldnt go in when i relaxed and thought about it its pretty obvious really isnt it lol

anyway thank you for your help guys :)

No worries! Happy drumming :-)
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:35 am

ThePloughman wrote:The hoop sits on top of the heads flesh hoop....... the crimp hoop on the head is under the wood hoop. Dude.......seriously.

lol
DrummerZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:34 pm

Have fun bangin' away at your new kit!
I'M BACK!!!

Who cares. :D
Codymunzert
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:43 pm

DrummerZ wrote:Have fun bangin' away at your new kit!

lol yea
"Truth is like the sun. You can make it go away for a while, but it ain't goin nowhere."
-Elvis Presley