Serious Stage Injuries ?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

astev13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:01 am

Last friday my metal band played a little show in someones garage, it was a nice space,hooked up and we knew the people running it... all night they were running free drinks for the band.

Here's the bad part...we were the last set, and our vocalist likes to drink ( I think you guys know where this is going) so its time for our set and ofcourse he's drunk...ok no problem cus he knows how to handle himself....

So were setting up, and my guitarist is using a friends amp, and the head doesn't work for w/e reason...ok so we borrow another head and we set up(all this took about 15 extra mins) everyones anxious, then we play....all of a sudden in the middle of the second song my vocalist passes out and falls face first off the stage...ok wtf... the stage is about a foot high soo no one thought he was really hurt but he's unconcious...so we stop playing immediatly jump down help him outside...after about 5mins he comes to...then he's sayin aww my neck hurts...p.s. He's vomiting and his nose is bleeding and his tooth is cracked......we knew he was in bad shape, we call an ambulance and get him to the hospital

So, the shows ended early, we pack up and go home...we visit him on sunday (super bowl sunday, yay giants NY baby)lol-random

Doc says he has a fractured neck and a broken cheeck bone, ....and its gonna take him about 2 months to fully heal his neck

So0o...that means nothings happening with the band for 2months..which I'm pissed about because we are supposed to begin recording in march, but we gotta do pre-productiong, and our producer has yet to hear his voice ... alright w/e and there's an opening band spot with all that remains and chimeira in new jersey, which we were booked, but that's deaded because the show is in early march....what an awful time for this shyt to happen

Yeah, so I want to hear you guys simmilar or worse stories if you have...lol I need some encouragement and wisdom right now

P..s we love our vocalist, and he's amongst the best around, we know its an accident but damn I was so0o stoked about what was coming up, but now we gotta miss out, but he says he's not gonna mix drinking and shows anymore...so I hope its true...and we're lucky he turned out with a fracure not a fuking broken neck...thank god the stage was soo low

Anyway ttyl - alex
eml
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 am

Wow mate, that's fucking terrible. :(
Luckily we've only been half drunk (barely) when we've played, and so far nothing has gone wrong and we know we can't get drunk (no fun playing drunk anyways). Hope your vocalist learns his lesson!
astev13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 am

lol thanks...im sure he did lol a costly accident for the whole band :?
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:32 am

thats pretty bad mate! but its one of the reasons our band limits drinks to 2 pints of beer each- until we come OFF the stage!!!
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:40 am

We have a one pint rule! We established soon as I joined the band that I can't play for shit when I'm hammered.... :-P That was in our studio BTW not at a gig!

Hope he gets better soon.
Bloomdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 am

dont drink before a show. that ought to just be a rule from the start. my lead guitarist had 1 pint of beer before a show one time and he sucked it up on the solos. one time my bassist had to many energy drinks before a show and that messed him up to the point where he couldnt play properly. caffein overdose.

so seriously, if you want to put on a good show, lay off any type of food or drink that you wouldnt normally consume before an important event like a court date, a final exam, or a job interview. shows should be fun...but in that same category of importance. playing a show is a professional environment. you should act professional and be in a state of mind and a state of health that will allow you to get the job done.
<a href="http://bloomdrums.6te.net">My Website</a>
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am

Bloomdrums wrote:dont drink before a show. that ought to just be a rule from the start. my lead guitarist had 1 pint of beer before a show one time and he sucked it up on the solos. one time my bassist had to many energy drinks before a show and that messed him up to the point where he couldnt play properly. caffein overdose.

so seriously, if you want to put on a good show, lay off any type of food or drink that you wouldnt normally consume before an important event like a court date, a final exam, or a job interview. shows should be fun...but in that same category of importance. playing a show is a professional environment. you should act professional and be in a state of mind and a state of health that will allow you to get the job done.

i would recommend 15- 20 pints before a court appearance. it might be you're last chance!
Mobocrat
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:27 am

wow...thats bad dude...

I play a lot of hardcore punk shows (I play guitar too) and I've gotten many chipped teeth and I broke my wrist once...but nothing ever that bad...

get well soon, lead singer! :cry:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:26 pm

yikes.

when i was in high school, our guitar player smoked some pot that was evidentally laced with pcp. he ended our set (which he played very poorly, by the way) by diving in to my drum set - kurt cobain style... he ended up splitting his head open (22 stitches) on my ride cymbal and i got a black eye out of the deal.
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Denver dude is right. Set rules. I find subtle inebriation can be useful for the creative spirit. If remembered. A music school guy playing metal? Hard to understand. Please tell me it's progressive w/ "singing".
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:58 pm

okjohne wrote:Denver dude is right. Set rules. I find subtle inebriation can be useful for the creative spirit. If remembered. A music school guy playing metal? Hard to understand. Please tell me it's progressive w/ "singing".

What's so hard to understand?
Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:18 pm

There all seems to be beer readily available at my band's jam sessions. We get down to business for while before getting into the beer though. Last time we jammed, I fell of my throne while trying to retrieve a drum stick, which was pretty funny. I also tore p my knuckle on the rime of my snare but didn't notice right away. I was surprised to see blood running down my hand and drum sticks.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:25 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:
okjohne wrote:Denver dude is right. Set rules. I find subtle inebriation can be useful for the creative spirit. If remembered. A music school guy playing metal? Hard to understand. Please tell me it's progressive w/ "singing".

What's so hard to understand?

Yeah...I'm not sure I understood that post either.

I've gotten some pretty crazy injuries. I remember when I was first starting out my band was playing a show and I broke two fingers by slamming them between the stick and the rim of my snare. Blood exploded from my hand and got all over my drum heads and my kit. I had just stained it.
And three years ago these guys had my kit set up 8 feet above the ground on scaffolding. Every time I hit the kick the thing shook like hell and I thought, "Man, I'm gonna be toppling over before the end of this show"
Sure enough I was right. Our second to last song the entire apparatus crumbled to the ground in a heap of metal and human. Broke a leg and two ribs.
Beat on.
astev13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Omg "break" did u sue? Lol I would have gone crazy!!!!!

A broken leg and ribs wtf...they had to have reimburse you somehow...i would have brought johnny cockerine back from the grave and we would have sued that place from hell to high water.....

Lol sorry...I get a lil money happy when I talk about getting money for an injury

But you get the point..what'd they do for you?
mrnuclearpants
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Our singer stage dived and broke his collar bone once. Not quite what happened to yours, but you know...