I met a drum legend today.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:23 am

That's totally awesome. Almighty Gadd rules. Even without a pic or an autograph you've still got a memory that will last a lifetime. I've had the good fortune to have met several celebrities through the years, but the one I revere most is when I got to meet Buddy Rich when I was about 12. He let me sit behind him during his show which included a 1/2 hour solo after which he gave me the sticks he used, which were beaten to snot. My Dad was with me and that remains on of my fondest memories to this day.
withrhythm
new
new

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:34 am

We should start a thread on meeting famous or legendary drummers... We all like to swap our stories about brushes (no pun) with fame.... Start it up timekeeper

I will wait for your post on myspace...
WithRhythm
<a href="http://www.sweetdilemma.com" target="blank">Sweet Dilemma</a>
Taye Rock Tour Pro
22" - 10" - 12" - 14" Suspended in Peace Rack
8" - 10" - 12" - 16" - 18" - 21" - 14" Hat
Danidrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:36 am

Timekeep69 wrote:
dammow wrote:thats pretty cool man! he IS a legend, did you manage a cheeky photo???

Oh man, did I want to but I was there on business so I couldn't be a fan.

well done. You know all about business.
Crash101
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:29 am

(gets on knees)-WE ARE NOT WORTHY! WE ARE NOT WORTHY!
if you're gonna rock then rock for the rock
kylevater wrote:my girlfriend doesnt mind me posting on dml
oh wait did i say girlfriend? i meant mom
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:08 am

Mate, that is awesome! Gadd is one of my biggest influences now and just to see him lay down a groove that close must have been one of those moments you'll never forget!

As for photo's, they're great to have, but I always feel like a chump when I ask for one, which is why now generally I don't.

I have a sneaking suspicion the guy who called you down may have asked you down for another reason than just to pick up there snare ;-)
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:32 am

Holy crap.
Seriously. My jaw would probably fall off if that happened to me. Gadd's a huge influence of mine, and he's one heck of a drummer.
XD
Original Frosty.
drummr99
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:48 am

xdoseonex wrote:wow, That is awesome. I saw him play a clinic not to long ago, it was an amazing experience

I saw him at PASIC 2 years ago, the year he got into the hall of fame. His clinic was great although people asked some really stupid questions, and im pretty sure he was drunk from all the hall fame parties during the day haha
pattyflafla
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:39 pm

The one time I met rock legend John Schlitt of Petra. (If you don't know who he is then you probably never listened to any Christian music between 1979 and 2003.) I was playing in the opening band. After the show we were backstage and he was standing just a few feet from me so I decided to introduce myself. I wanted to say "I grew up listening to you music and it really inspired me to take up drumming." Instead what came out was just "you're awesome" followed by a hand shake. Oh well, at least I got a picture of him and I together.
If it were Gadd it would probably go down the same way, but I might wet myself!
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:One of my drum repair/refurbish clients owns a recording studio and was checking out the oak stave shell snare I have for sale. He emailed me and said that he had another drum he wanted me to work on and asked if I could come get it and pick up my stave snare because he had a recording client all day. I was like "sure, no problem."

So I get there and when I walk in I look into the recording booth and there sits Steve Gadd playing a salsa style song. My client introduced me to him, he's very cool by the way, and I held my composure pretty well. It was hard not to pull and Wayne and Garth but I manged not to.

Overall it was a pleasent suprise. :D

What's funny is I know your client and I'm supposed to go see the studio, too. He knows EVERYBODY.
MuzicMan19
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:07 pm

That's way cool man! If i ever met him i would act like a total noob!! lol
He's just plain amazing, hands down.
Timekeep69

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:One of my drum repair/refurbish clients owns a recording studio and was checking out the oak stave shell snare I have for sale. He emailed me and said that he had another drum he wanted me to work on and asked if I could come get it and pick up my stave snare because he had a recording client all day. I was like "sure, no problem."

So I get there and when I walk in I look into the recording booth and there sits Steve Gadd playing a salsa style song. My client introduced me to him, he's very cool by the way, and I held my composure pretty well. It was hard not to pull and Wayne and Garth but I manged not to.

What's funny is I know your client and I'm supposed to go see the studio, too. He knows EVERYBODY.

Yeah he does. He a great guy too!
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Steve! No Way he's like my all-time fav!
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:

Yeah he does. He a great guy too!

Just wondering if Steve tried one of your snares and if he did so, did you get any feedback?
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:28 am

I bet if you cut him open he bleeds red blood.

Really, all the truly GREAT players are as down-to-earth as you are. Go talk to them. People are people.

Anyone with a trip is a joke, or (for their benefit) having a bad day.
Timekeep69

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:24 am

From what I understand, Steve beat on the oak stave shell snare I took over for my client to check out. My client was considering buying it but it sounded too much like a solid shell snare he already has.

So if anyone is interested in an oak stave shell snare that sounds like a solid shell that Steve Gadd smacked a few times, let me know. :D
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!