I met a drum legend today.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Timekeep69

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:28 pm

One of my drum repair/refurbish clients owns a recording studio and was checking out the oak stave shell snare I have for sale. He emailed me and said that he had another drum he wanted me to work on and asked if I could come get it and pick up my stave snare because he had a recording client all day. I was like "sure, no problem."

So I get there and when I walk in I look into the recording booth and there sits Steve Gadd playing a salsa style song. My client introduced me to him, he's very cool by the way, and I held my composure pretty well. It was hard not to pull and Wayne and Garth but I manged not to.

Overall it was a pleasent suprise. :D
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:32 pm

thats pretty cool man! he IS a legend, did you manage a cheeky photo???
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:35 pm

thats awsome man, props to you.

i bet your jaw dropped to the floor when you saw him there.
http://www.myspace.com/atrubandpage

Creativity+Speed+Technicality=Progression
Timekeep69

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:39 pm

dammow wrote:thats pretty cool man! he IS a legend, did you manage a cheeky photo???

Oh man, did I want to but I was there on business so I couldn't be a fan.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
SGarrett

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:40 pm

I don't know if I would've been able to keep my composure. :D
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:44 pm

SGarrett wrote:I don't know if I would've been able to keep my composure. :D

Agreed....and it would have been obvious, too. I would have probably turned really pale, and a little woozy, then I would start grinning like an idiot. That's awesome, man. You must still be pretty amped.
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:07 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:

Agreed....and it would have been obvious, too. I would have probably turned really pale, and a little woozy, then I would start grinning like an idiot. That's awesome, man. You must still be pretty amped.

Agree with everyone here. Keeping it together in the presents of greatness is an amazing feat. One of those things you don't need a picture for, because it will always be burned into your memory. Congrats.
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:19 pm

DDDDUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ,THATS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I couldn't resist! That musta been awesome. :D
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 pm

You ever meet someone you idolize but feel like an ass?
I got the “opportunity” to interview Nick Barker for this local metal rag when Dimmu was touring with Krisiun a few years ago. I was with the old singer of my band who was this light-in-the-loafers Ukrainian guy (imagine Bronson Pinchot on Perfect Strangers). We get to the Ogden and track him down, and he’s sparking a joint with the guys in Krisiun right when we walk up and drag him away (I know how happy I’d be). We go down stairs for the interview and this generator starts up making this horrendous noise, and I could tell he didn’t want to be there. The whole time he’s lookin’ over his shoulder, I could tell he’s thinkin’ “man that shit’s gonna be cashed, these wankers need to hurry up!”. If only I'd known, I would have brought a splif
Between Nick’s British, Alex’s Russian and the machinery I couldn’t hear $%@t when I played back the tape; I had to practically forge the interview anyway
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:26 pm

that's unbelievably KILLER
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Went to a Gadd clinic like twenty years ago. never had introductions. just some wide eyed kid. Blown away of course.
SGarrett

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:32 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:

Hahaha, no doubt. I stutter any time I get really excited about something, so I probably wouldn't have been able to say anything. :lol:
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 pm

wow, That is awesome. I saw him play a clinic not to long ago, it was an amazing experience
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:06 am

I've met my share of famous people throughout the years, not to brag. Those memories will last a lifetime and I'm very grateful that I have met the people that i have met.

It's hard not to just drop to your knees in front of your hero and go "AHHHHHHH!!!! YOU RULE!!!!!!!!!" Trust me, I've been there a few times. It took a bit to keep me from doing that when I met Rob Flynn of Machine Head last month. (I'm a BIG Machine Head fan)

Seems like after you meet them, you think of all the things that you wanna say and wished you could have said them. But remember, be cool, be humble, they're normal people just like you and I. I get nervous sometimes adn catch myself when I meet somebody famous that I like and worry about what I'm saying, thinking of the right thing to say and hope that I don't come off as an idiot. I've learned to just be yourself. Just my little insight for the day.........

That's cool though you met Steve Gadd. Hell of a drummer!
danstonedrum
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:18 am

Very cool!