Why is Danny Carey so great?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Now if we could just get Donati to NOT play double bass for at least 5 seconds seconds during a solo...
GypoDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 pm

My old drum teacher toured with a band who, when entering the recording studio to record their newest album, met Tool.

They were finishing up the drum tracks or something for 10,000 days.
and the drummer had a chat to Danny Carey.
Danny Carey told him that he doesn't like it when bands edit their drum tracks when they make a mistake on the drums.
so Danny Carey doesn't edit his tracks (for all Tool's albums, don't know about any others).
instead, if he makes a mistake, he starts the song over from the start.

i know it may not be hard to play in just 7/8, but when it comes to songs like Lateralus, where the chorus comes as
9/8, 8/8 (or 4/4), then 7/8, and it still sounds flowing, i believe that's good drumming.

Also, he brings in other types of drumming into the music he plays with Tool.
Right in Two, he plays a Tabla solo in the middle.

His footwork is also amazing,
everything he can play on his hands, he can play on his feet.
probably doesn't sound that great compared to some drummers, but i can tell you that a lot of drummers can't do that.
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Alan_ wrote:Now if we could just get Donati to NOT play double bass for at least 5 seconds seconds during a solo...

lol, true. but atleast he's progressive when it comes to double bass.

it's also double strokes most of the time.

to GypoDrummer:

"9/8, 8/8 (or 4/4), then 7/8" flows well because combineing the 7/8 and 9/8 puts you back into 4/4 timeing.
http://www.myspace.com/atrubandpage

Creativity+Speed+Technicality=Progression
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:24 pm

Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.

the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.

hemiolas (wow you fucked up too...)

and i never said fuck danny carey man.

but if i was speaking from a musical perspective i'd say his drumming is solid and compliments the music.

technical standpoint, same as i stated before. and in no way is he one of the greats of drumming.

exactly, it compliments the music. i.e. he plays double kicks only at appropriate musical places rather than 16th/32nd notes through every other tune like a lot of egotistical drummers out there.

and as long as you're going to push it, i should mention that at least my fuck up was a typo involving the switching of 2 letters rather than a repeated lack of knowledge of how to spell an easy word. you can look at my 1st post to see it spelled right if you like.

i think myself and everyone else on this forum knows that there are plenty of drummers out there that don't have the creativity to come up with the stuff that carey does. No need to bring up the obvious.

but when you look at drummers like Donati, or Minnemann. VIRTUOSO DRUMMERS. he's not even in the same weight class.

i could do without donati's idiotic fucking stick twirls and backstickings, i'll tell you that. and he's a good example of the incessant double bass drum shit i was talking about. granted his chops are fucking great, i'm not arguing that
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:25 pm

re breaking up 4/4 into various odd meters that add back up into 4: that kind of meter implication is one of the things that makes him a standout.

sure, it's not the trickiest s**t in the book, but he carries it to a level that many folks who are considered technically "superior" don't.
Last edited by Alan_ on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Metaldrummer89 wrote:to GypoDrummer:

"9/8, 8/8 (or 4/4), then 7/8" flows well because combineing the 7/8 and 9/8 puts you back into 4/4 timeing.

do you know that song or you're talking out of your ass? yes, at adds up to 24, a multiple of 4, but it's not phrased that way... it's in 9/8, 8/8, 7/8. listen to the song, it's not in 4 at all, and the bass and guitar shift with him.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:29 pm

you both just wrote down those time signatures in exactly the same order.

edited to not confuse anyone. if you want to see the silly mistake I made, look down a post.
Last edited by Alan_ on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Alan_ wrote:you both just wrote down those time signatures in exactly the same order. Wouldn't it be a cycle 32 8th notes long instead of 24 given that there are 32 8th notes in a measure of 9/8, a measure of 4/4 (8/8 ), and a measure of 7/8?

9+8+7=...32 now? grab a calculator. and it's not like it's in 32/8 even if there were 32 8th notes, it's phrased as 9/8, 8/8, 7/8
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Derp!!!!

That's what I get for thinking while at work. It's 3 measures of 4/4, of course! *smacks self in head.

Edited to add: I used to play this groove years ago in a band that was a measure of 7/16, a measure of 4/4 then a measure of 9/16, which adds up to 32 16th notes. TOTALLY different. oops, sorry for the confusion fellas.
Last edited by Alan_ on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Alan_ wrote:Derp!!!!

That's what I get for thinking while at work.

lol :-)
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:39 pm

tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.

the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.

but if i was speaking from a musical perspective i'd say his drumming is solid and compliments the music.

technical standpoint, same as i stated before. and in no way is he one of the greats of drumming.

exactly, it compliments the music. i.e. he plays double kicks only at appropriate musical places rather than 16th/32nd notes through every other tune like a lot of egotistical drummers out there.

and as long as you're going to push it, i should mention that at least my fuck up was a typo involving the switching of 2 letters rather than a repeated lack of knowledge of how to spell an easy word. you can look at my 1st post to see it spelled right if you like.

i think myself and everyone else on this forum knows that there are plenty of drummers out there that don't have the creativity to come up with the stuff that carey does. No need to bring up the obvious.

but when you look at drummers like Donati, or Minnemann. VIRTUOSO DRUMMERS. he's not even in the same weight class.

i could do without donati's idiotic fucking stick twirls and backstickings, i'll tell you that. and he's a good example of the incessant double bass drum shit i was talking about. granted his chops are fucking great, i'm not arguing that

wow, all respect was just lost for you. i can see you've never heard his jazz stuff and you have no respect for musicianship, talent, and hard work whatsoever.

you are close-minded and obviously just a fan of drumming.

i have nothing more to say to your lack of competence.

tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:

wow, all respect was just lost for you. i can see you've never heard his jazz stuff and you have no respect for musicianship, talent, and hard work whatsoever.

you are close-minded and obviously just a fan of drumming.

i have nothing more to say to your lack of competence.

lol, wow, you jumped to some conclusions there, didn't mean to offend you so deeply. and i admit, i haven't heard his jazz stuff, and may have spoken too soon. but i DO hate the back stickings and stick twirls. i'm not sure how my dislike for this makes me personally incompetent. and i'm just not a fan of constant double bass drum solos, though i realize it's impressive what he does technically.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:52 pm

btw, referencing Marco Minnemann, I thought I'd share this bit of hilarity and technical prowess with ya:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHft4OR7Rus&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHft4OR7Rus&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:54 pm

tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:to GypoDrummer:

do you know that song or you're talking out of your ass? yes, at adds up to 24, a multiple of 4, but it's not phrased that way... it's in 9/8, 8/8, 7/8. listen to the song, it's not in 4 at all, and the bass and guitar shift with him.

i learned the whole fucking album 4 years ago. but all i was saying is why it flows well. not that the gd thing was in 4/4.

emofacing
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:57 pm

In addition to his skill level and feel for the drums, he never makes a mistake. An old Modern Drummer I have has an article with Morgan Rose from Sevendust. Tool and Sevendust were on the same festival tour together. Morgan said he didn't respect Carey as much until he witnessed an entire tour from the side stage. Danny performed flawlessly for the duration. Considering the magnitude of his playing and how incredibly hard he hits the drums, that is a great accomplishment!