Why is Danny Carey so great?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

conundrummer
new
new
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:58 am
Location: florida

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 am

he is one of my biggest inspirations
4est
rabiddrummer
new
new
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:16 am

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 am

He is just a beast! The guy has incredible independence, plays complex patterns with ease, plays odd time signatures and makes them sound natural... In Tool he is able to apply his unique playing very effectively, he fits the band perfectly. What sets him apart is that when the song calls for a deep groove, he'll deliver... when the song calls for something odd time and complex, he comes through... not to mention his fills...Danny is just a great all around player.
User avatar
ProtestTheHero88
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Lowell, MA

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:40 am

seeing him play in real life is one of the most mindblowing things u will ever experience.. hes my main support in my "pro-classical training" arguments.. hes just got everything down to a T.. an he seems like a modest an focused guy.. ive been several TOOL concerts an seen an he jus seems to love what he does.. hes one of my top 3 favorite drummers.. he also has some cool things in hit kit.. heres one of the electronic aspects of it..pretty sick i think

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tt87SjSHIv0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tt87SjSHIv0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovFF4hLnOJ4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ovFF4hLnOJ4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
\m/The Spoon\m/

Image
kebin131
beginner
beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:45 am

The reason he's so good is because he practices. Alot. Or atleast used to practice alot to get to the point he's at right now.
User avatar
likelight2flies
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:44 am
Location: jersey

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:06 am

Depend on what you call "great". Like others have said, he is a creative and solid drummer.
this damn LEFT PEDAL! i swear im getting another bass drum....
www.myspace.com/enlightenedbythecold
User avatar
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:24 am
Location: Sunny So Cal

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:12 am

His playing is so fluid and natural through the range of time signature and feels that TOOL plays. He reminds me of how Bruford plays with Crimson. It just flows and lulls you into thinking it's 4/4 until you try to play it and then it than you start to really appreciate how well he handles the time.

I saw them at the Wiltern here in So Cal for the start of the Lateralus tour (King Crimson opened but Pat Matselato was playing and he is great but he just doesn't flow with the songs as well as Bruford did) and they just blew me away with how tight they were. Amazing show.
Image
Jeff Porcaro - Lord of Groove
User avatar
stu
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:35 am
Location: dayton

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:05 pm

racefan33 wrote:His playing is so fluid and natural through the range of time signature and feels that TOOL plays. He reminds me of how Bruford plays with Crimson. It just flows and lulls you into thinking it's 4/4 until you try to play it and then it than you start to really appreciate how well he handles the time.

I saw them at the Wiltern here in So Cal for the start of the Lateralus tour (King Crimson opened but Pat Matselato was playing and he is great but he just doesn't flow with the songs as well as Bruford did) and they just blew me away with how tight they were. Amazing show.


Are you sure they didn't Belew you away? Ok, ok, that was horrible I know. Dany Carey is a great drummer. Not because of his work with TOOL(just kidding don't filet me and roast me on a spit) But because of his work playing with Green Jello/ Greenjelly. ROCK N ROLL PUMPKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: sacramento, calif

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:12 pm

SGarrett wrote:
liquidrummr wrote:Ya know, I've never really listened to his music, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. To me, someone who is great is someone who has been around awhile, ya know, paid his dues so to speak. We all know of the greatness of our forefathers,
Buddy, Gene, etc. Guys like Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd are among drummers I consider to be great. They've been proving themselves for decades. If Danny falls into this catagory, then so be it, He's great.


How do you live in Sacatomatoes and have never heard Tool? :D


Oh! I've heard of Tool and I've kept up with Danny's career over the years through articles in Modern Drummer, I just don't think I've ever heard much of Tool's music. From the rest of the comments on here about him, he sounds like my kind of drummer. Also, it's great to see someone else from around this area here on DML.
User avatar
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 pm

i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.
http://www.myspace.com/atrubandpage

Creativity+Speed+Technicality=Progression
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am
Location: Galesville, WI

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm

Bong wrote:Because he plays from the heart, and for the tune. One of the greatest of our time.
Plus, he's fun to watch.


I think "Because he plays from the heart" sums it up the best. Today there are so many who are just there to complicate things, when you play like he does and it's from the heart, you can tell. It's unmistakable and in my opinion there are to few out there doing it these days... I believe that is the main reason he has stood out.
Image
_____________________
SilverFox HR Sticks
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:31 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Metaldrummer89 wrote:i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.



the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.
User avatar
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 pm

tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.



the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.


hemiolas (wow you fucked up too...)

and i never said fuck danny carey man.

but if i was speaking from a musical perspective i'd say his drumming is solid and compliments the music.

technical standpoint, same as i stated before. and in no way is he one of the greats of drumming.
http://www.myspace.com/atrubandpage

Creativity+Speed+Technicality=Progression
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 pm

define what makes a "difficult" odd time sig. They're all just bunches of 2's and 3's hooked together.

I find odd artificial note groupings to be far more difficult.

Point is, he is great at playing odd time signatures and making them groove in a very organic way. Plus, his command of triplets (and metric modulation involving triplets) is creative and sounds awesome.

He's got good hands and feet, I don't really see how folks can bag on his abilities.

I don't think his playing in Tool is predictable, although I can't say the same about their guitarists. Would it really hurt them to write a song NOT in D?
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:31 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.



the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.


hemiolas (wow you fucked up too...)

and i never said fuck danny carey man.

but if i was speaking from a musical perspective i'd say his drumming is solid and compliments the music.

technical standpoint, same as i stated before. and in no way is he one of the greats of drumming.



exactly, it compliments the music. i.e. he plays double kicks only at appropriate musical places rather than 16th/32nd notes through every other tune like a lot of egotistical drummers out there.

and as long as you're going to push it, i should mention that at least my fuck up was a typo involving the switching of 2 letters rather than a repeated lack of knowledge of how to spell an easy word. you can look at my 1st post to see it spelled right if you like.
User avatar
Metaldrummer89
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 pm

tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:
tchfunkta wrote:
Metaldrummer89 wrote:i'm definately with the guy who posted this.

I find Tools drumming is very predictable.

and all these time signitures you guys are talking about???

WTF?!?! Maybe i just been listening to minnemann too much.

But you can't honestly say that tool's time signitures are more than average difficulty.



the time signatures for the most part aren't bewilderingly complex, but the creative stuff he does with them and the way they develop and change with fluidity and use interesting hemiloas in a musical way is what people are talking about. sure, you may listen to something in 37/16 and say fuck danny carey and his 11/8, but that's bullshit. listen from a musical perspective, not just a technical perspective.


hemiolas (wow you fucked up too...)

and i never said fuck danny carey man.

but if i was speaking from a musical perspective i'd say his drumming is solid and compliments the music.

technical standpoint, same as i stated before. and in no way is he one of the greats of drumming.



exactly, it compliments the music. i.e. he plays double kicks only at appropriate musical places rather than 16th/32nd notes through every other tune like a lot of egotistical drummers out there.

and as long as you're going to push it, i should mention that at least my fuck up was a typo involving the switching of 2 letters rather than a repeated lack of knowledge of how to spell an easy word. you can look at my 1st post to see it spelled right if you like.


i think myself and everyone else on this forum knows that there are plenty of drummers out there that don't have the creativity to come up with the stuff that carey does. No need to bring up the obvious.

but when you look at drummers like Donati, or Minnemann. VIRTUOSO DRUMMERS. he's not even in the same weight class.
http://www.myspace.com/atrubandpage

Creativity+Speed+Technicality=Progression