Why is Danny Carey so great?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

shanelarue2112
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 pm

I'm not putting him down I just want to know because of the videos i've seen i think hes interesting to watch and very creative but is there more im missing?
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:41 pm

I find him to be one of the greats in rock drumming period. He has awesome musicianship, he can play in the background but he also knows when to shine. He has great technical skills and uses them creatively. And the reason why I love tool they don't play music to be famous, they play because they want to. Thats why there is always a huge gap between touring and recording a new album. They have side projects like Maynard with A Perfect Circle, they have families and they don't like rushing to put out a new record.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:48 pm

I think that he's cemented himself as one of the greats of modern rock drumming. Not only because of the technical prowess of his playing, but his feel as well. His sense of rhythm is impeccable. It's very similar to that of Billy Cobham and Lenny White, who reportedly are both big fans of Carey.
From his credentials it's clear that he is also very very diverse. He's covered ground from technical metal and progressive rock to jazz fusion and jazz ballad playing. He also has become well-read in world percussion, taking tabla lessons from Aloke Dutta.
Beat on.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Because he plays from the heart, and for the tune. One of the greatest of our time.
Plus, he's fun to watch.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

shanelarue2112
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Plus, he's fun to watch.

+1
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:58 pm

He's a guy who is a great player that ended up in a cult band that sold millions of records.

My friend Jon Tucker with whom I have known since like 2 months old did all the early Tool videos.

http://rocketfilms.com

He did the "Prison Sex" vid.

Also, he is responsible for the Mudvayne "Dig" video, and Sepultura, etc.

He is not the 2nd cameraman on "Reno 911".

Yeah, my buddy Jon is a total trip.
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Hey Bill, do you know Chet Zar? He's involved in some of the projection art for Tool, and does a lot of effects in Hollywood. Heck of an artist- very cool guy.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:42 pm

I'm not the hugest tool fan ever, but Danny Carey is a great great GREAT player. Awesome command of the instrument, and a lot of guts to his playing.
Bloomdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 am

i for one find it interesting that he can play in any time signature and fool you into thinking that its 4/4, then just when you think you can try to play along you realize whoops that in 15/8-12/8-3/4... that kid of thing doesnt make him the best ever by any means, but its pretty cool.
<a href="http://bloomdrums.6te.net">My Website</a>
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 am

Ya know, I've never really listened to his music, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. To me, someone who is great is someone who has been around awhile, ya know, paid his dues so to speak. We all know of the greatness of our forefathers,
Buddy, Gene, etc. Guys like Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd are among drummers I consider to be great. They've been proving themselves for decades. If Danny falls into this catagory, then so be it, He's great.
SGarrett

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 am

liquidrummr wrote:Ya know, I've never really listened to his music, but I've heard a lot of good things about him. To me, someone who is great is someone who has been around awhile, ya know, paid his dues so to speak. We all know of the greatness of our forefathers,
Buddy, Gene, etc. Guys like Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd are among drummers I consider to be great. They've been proving themselves for decades. If Danny falls into this catagory, then so be it, He's great.

How do you live in Sacatomatoes and have never heard Tool? :D
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
tchfunkta
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:54 am

his ability to metrically modulate, change time signatures rapidly (and rock them all), superimpose time signatures, play badass hemiolas, and do all these with extreme fluidity is certainly part of it. also his ability to incorporate the whole set into unique grooves (all of his more tom oriented stuff) is part of his appeal. his time feel and lock up with the whole band doesn't hurt either...
Soloman Tubbs
new
new

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:07 am

His fluidity with odd time, polyrythyms, and the fact he neither plays live nor records with a click makes him one of todays, if not all time, greatest players, coupled with the fact he considers what he does as art and he nor anyone else in TOOL has followed any type of "mainstream" approach to their song writing.... As well, he is one of the most down to earth , humble with his gift drummers I have ever met...
Your only obligation in any lifetime is to be true to yourself....
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:55 am

And he applies Sacred Geometry to his playing. XD
Original Frosty.
screamkevin

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:24 am

Personally, I like that he thinks and plays outside the box.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.