match grip or traditional?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

jonny
beginner
beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:49 am
Location: Edinburgh

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:59 am

I'm not very good at trad but I'm work on it. I just feel that I play a lot more 'linear' when I play trad and I play a lot more 'straight' when I use match.
Pollewoppetje
new
new
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:25 am

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:27 am

I'm a drummer that believes that a drummer's both sides should be equal. Why have a different grip in the weaker hand (considering that most of us are right-handed).

Plus, jou get btter ranged when playing matched grip.
User avatar
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010
Posts: 2009
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:59 am
Location: Lower California

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:40 am

Pollewoppetje wrote:I'm a drummer that believes that a drummer's both sides should be equal. Why have a different grip in the weaker hand (considering that most of us are right-handed).

Plus, jou get btter ranged when playing matched grip.


I see that the myth of "traditional grip is weaker" wins here again.

With matched grip you have a rotation point (the fulcrum) and that is controlled by two fingers, maybe three whereas wide-open traditional grip utilizing the larger, thicker muscle of the thumb can create gargantuan force on a surface.

Because it looks graceful doesn't mean it's effeminate by any means.

When I was playing traditional grip 100% of the time (I detested matched for some odd reason) my left hand was actually stronger than my right in certain instances.

Hey, why would you want to have a band of clones (4 limbs being exactly equal in strength) rather than a collection of personalities (the way your limbs naturally occur)? I can understand wanting to have ultimate control, and I've climbed that mountain but I'm just putting out the hypothetical.

Wow the things you can come up with when you work a 20 hr day.....
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:18 am

BillRayDrums wrote:With matched grip you have a rotation point (the fulcrum) and that is controlled by two fingers, maybe three whereas wide-open traditional grip utilizing the larger, thicker muscle of the thumb can create gargantuan force on a surface.

Because it looks graceful doesn't mean it's effeminate by any means.


This is what I was talking about earlier...more muscles doesn't mean more muscle.
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am
Location: Galesville, WI

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 am

Here is another one that comes down not only to preference but what we know from past experiences. I play both rock and jazz with a traditional grip because thats what I learned growing up.

I switched to match because my son had to learn it for school and I wanted to help him. That being said, I found that I had a lot more power with match but I've snapped sticks in 30 seconds (literally). That's when I found out to much power and lacking technique was an issue. I've worked on match and have more control over my power, but for the feel and depending on the situation traditional gives me (personally) more control.

Weaker hand or not, I think traditional forces you to be more committed to the pattern and for me that's what I want.
Image
_____________________
SilverFox HR Sticks
User avatar
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:11 am
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE, ENGLAND

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:49 am

This is what I was talking about earlier...more muscles doesn't mean more muscle.[/quote]

exactly, its the 'whip' of the stick if you know what i mean. look at stewart copeland- he plays trad. and he plays pretty damn hard and moves round the kit fast and has no trouble hitting cymbals with his left hand.
i play matched since i started 15+ yrs ago and last year i started to learn traditional. it was strange to begin almost wrong! but now i can play pretty basic with trad. but i will always be matched.

i dont think there is a big difference in whatever you play. i have seen great rock&roll drummers playing trad. and ive seen great jazz players playing matched.
just play what feels best.
User avatar
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:08 pm

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY MATCHED
Ari Hoenig
Billy Ward
Phil Seaman
Billy Cobham

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY TRADITIONAL
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Matt Chamberlain

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY BOTH
Tony Williams
Vinnie Colaiuta
Dave Weckl
Steve Gadd
Steve Smith (former matched disciple)
User avatar
Danidrums
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:54 am
Location: Grandvaux, Switzerland

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Gaddabout wrote:GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY MATCHED
Ari Hoenig
Billy Ward
Phil Seaman
Billy Cobham

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY TRADITIONAL
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Matt Chamberlain

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY BOTH
Tony Williams
Vinnie Colaiuta
Dave Weckl
Steve Gadd
Steve Smith (former matched disciple)




well i've just never seen "i mean in the past 10 years or 15" dave weckl playing match grip during a whole song or in a drum solo....same thing for vinnie colaiuta "only in one video in youtube from the 80's" and same for steve smith and steve gadd. I don't know, maybe i'm wrong but i think they're more focused into trad grip than in both.

recently i've seen that thomas lang switch a lot between trad and match
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Neil Peart plays both, but more matched than trad....

btw...PHIL SEAMAN!!!!
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:33 pm

btw, here's a clip of phil. it's from a movie, but there's not a lot of footage around of him...I'm not sure whether the audio was recorded separately and they're faking or not, but he plays the drum track note-for-note. Just not sure whether we're listening to the actual performance we're watching. his playing gets a little crazy toward the end. one of the forgotten greats of jazz...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L3ACAoPA8o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L3ACAoPA8o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
User avatar
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Danidrums wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY MATCHED
Ari Hoenig
Billy Ward
Phil Seaman
Billy Cobham

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY TRADITIONAL
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Matt Chamberlain

GUYS WHO CURIOUSLY PLAY BOTH
Tony Williams
Vinnie Colaiuta
Dave Weckl
Steve Gadd
Steve Smith (former matched disciple)




well i've just never seen "i mean in the past 10 years or 15" dave weckl playing match grip during a whole song or in a drum solo....same thing for vinnie colaiuta "only in one video in youtube from the 80's" and same for steve smith and steve gadd. I don't know, maybe i'm wrong but i think they're more focused into trad grip than in both.

recently i've seen that thomas lang switch a lot between trad and match


Weckl, Gadd, and Vinnie switch often. Weckl explains when he switches it's an emotional decision, not a technical thing. I play both and that explanation hits home to me. Gadd switches so much he's probably about 50/50 throughout a concert ... and he's also 50/50 whether he's gripping the butt or the tip of the stick!
User avatar
Danidrums
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:54 am
Location: Grandvaux, Switzerland

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:03 pm

well maybe i'm wrong.
btw i've seen the performance of vinnie here in switzerland and i didn't see him switching to match....
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:52 am

Alan_ wrote:btw, here's a clip of phil. it's from a movie, but there's not a lot of footage around of him...I'm not sure whether the audio was recorded separately and they're faking or not, but he plays the drum track note-for-note. Just not sure whether we're listening to the actual performance we're watching. his playing gets a little crazy toward the end. one of the forgotten greats of jazz...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L3ACAoPA8o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0L3ACAoPA8o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>


WATCH THE VIDEO IT'S PRETTY GREAT