Drum rudiments

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 am

This subject reminded me of the story Bill Cosby used to tell about a kid who told his new drum teacher that he wanted to play like Buddy Rich. So the teacher tells him to go tap, tap, r,l,r,l on the snare drum. The kid says, I don't want to do That, I want to play like boom, takka-budda boom,boom budda-baboom. The teacher said, before you can play boom, takka-budda boom,boom budda-baboom, you have to first learn how to play tap, tap, r,l,r,l.
digdrummer5
new
new

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

Rudiments are the foundation of drumming. . . . I have been playing for 24 years and have tons of road, studio, and marching time under my belt, and no matter what, without fail, I have my pad out running the PAS 40 every day for 30 minutes before I hit the kit for 2 hours. . . I used some of the standard 26 to build up strength, speed, and stamina when I finally got a double kick pedal, and have do rudimental practice on double kick every day. I have 21 students for an hour every week, and the first 30 minutes is always rudiment review. . . my dad was a pro drummer for many years, and started teaching me at age 3, and my practice schedule is identical to his. . . no matter how experianced you are or what style you play, consistant, intense rudiment practice and mastery is the best way to become solid and versitile as a drummer. . . which can also make you marketable outside your focus genre later on.
I just play what I feel. I let my own creativity drive my solos. Too many young drummers these days sound exactly the same. Whatever happened to being able to tell who's playing just by listening to his style?
- Buddy Rich
Bloomdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

i passed the university of colorado snare drum proficiency exam, which mostly dealt with rudiments and a rudimental solo, and there was a little classical solo in there as well. even with this under my belt i am far from being able to play drumcorps licks. that takes dedication, skill, and above all being nuts.
<a href="http://bloomdrums.6te.net">My Website</a>
Metal Mickey
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: I do NOT like metal, the name is a song reference - look it up

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:58 pm

Some good advice, thanks.

Any other tips on how to incorporate the slightly more complicated rudiments into drum fills would be appreciated.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:00 pm

it's easy: keep the rudiment's sticking, but vary what pieces of the kit you're hitting.
GB1Kenobi
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm

I first learned drums the hard way: self-taught. Did that for around 5 years. Then I learned the drums the easy way: from teachers who knew their stuff (reading, rudiments, jazz, classical, the whole sh-bang). It's much easier learning anything from those who know what came before them.

1) Play a rudiment on one sound and make it sound like it's only one hand.

2) Then learn how to move one hand between 2 sounds while other hand "stays home":

Single stroke = R-tom, L-snare, R-snare, L-snare. Then do the left hand version.
Double Strokes = RR-tom, LL-snare, RR-snare, LL-snare. Then do left hand version
Reverse the snare/tom combo to snare-tom-tom-tom

Paradiddle= R-tom, L-snare, RR-snare, L-snare
R-tom, LL-snare, R-snare, L-snare
RR-tom, L-snare, R-snare, LL-snare

3) Both hands move between 2 sounds.
4) One hand moves between 2 sounds, other hand uses 3 sounds.
5) Instead of a limb pair being 2 hands use any other pairs of limbs.
6) Play #5 and use the other limb pair doing something else. Example: Limb pair = Ride pattern + 2&4 ...the 2 limbs playing the rudiment are snare hand + bass drum foot...).

[Shout out to Max Roach on thru to Mike Mangini.]

7) etc etc etc etc etc till you're 93 years old.
GB1Kenobi
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

liquidrummr wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:To those who say learning rudiments aren't neccessary -- every time you play a drum with a stick you're using rudiments, you just don't realize it. The basic 40 are the basic 40 because the cover every basic combination of strokes you would want to accomplish. All the rudiments do is systematize it in a way to compile and learn them quickly. It expedites what will otherwise become a lifetime a frustration for learning newer, more complicated things.

Rudiments aren't about playing rudiments or even playing fast and/or technically. They are about playing cleanly and providing a facility to learn things quickly. Rudiments will not only allow you to pick up things quickly with your hands (hear it --> play it), it will train your ears to hear complex rythmic patterns. You will always be a better more capable drummer by learning your rudiments.

I go with this, as well as the advice put forth by BillRay, Jake 84 and Drums Plus. Playing without knowing rudiments is kind of like playing guitar without knowing any chords or scales. I know, there's lots of bashers out there that don't know a flam from a ruff, but I know some guys that are dumb as a post that at least know that most of John Bonham's tastiest fills involved the use of paradiddles.

....And a lot of Bonham's stuff is simply Buddy Rich and some Max Roach stuff, 2 guys who certainly had their rudiments down pat, in half-time. Check it out.
b b253
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:36 pm

im currently learning the drum rudiments my uncle got me a practice pad and is teaching me some snare rudiments and im still learnin and been learnin for a month or 2 but every now and then i mess with the whole kit so i think its necasary to learn drum rudiments but u can still practice on the other drums but im just a beginer so im not sure
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 pm

just picture it this way: any sticking combination that can be performed on one surface can just as well be performed on multiple surfaces. so yeah: what you're practicing on a practice pad can directly translate to the rest of the kit.
Henry George
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:31 am

[quote="Metal Mickey"]

Any other tips on how to incorporate the slightly more complicated rudiments into drum fills would be appreciated.[/quote]

There’s a lot of really good advice and great guidelines in this thread and the other one titled ‘Incorporating rudiments into fills/grooves’.

Homki890’s chart shows how to practise the paradiddle-diddle in many different note values, such as ¼ note triplets, 1/8th note triplets, and it sounds very interesting when this 3 pulse rudiment is played as 16th notes eg; RLRR..LLRL..RRLL.. Fits nicely over 3 beats.
All the ‘diddles rudiments’ can be treated like this, also they sound great when you learn to start them on ‘different strokes’,
eg:
single paradiddle:..RLRR..LRLL.
reversed paradiddle;..RRLR..LLRL.
inward paradiddle:..RLRL..LRLR.
Outward paradiddle;..RLLR..LRRL.

I reckon they should be practised in this order and starting with the left hand also, eg:
¼ notes, ¼ note triplets, 1/8th notes, 1/8th note triplets, 16th notes and sextuplets.
Don’t forget your ‘Mammy-Daddy’.. RRLL..RRLL..and..RLLR..RLLR..

GB1Kenobi’s suggestion…..1) Play a rudiment on one sound and make it sound like it's only one hand. I used a cushion to enhance this affect eg, L plays cushion while R plays drum and v/v, just until you get the ‘lock in feel’.
And like okjohne said, “drop that double at any time with either hand”, when you can do that it gets pretty exciting moving between ‘the paradiddles’ and Mammy-Daddy.

You mention the ‘the slightly more complicated rudiments’; you just play them as written. Or you can experiment by applying the above principles, eg; ‘The Swiss Army Triplet‘: lR R L….lR R L….( lR=flam). It would sound like this if you played it as ¼notes:

lR R L lR….R L lR R….L lR R L…. double that for 1/8th’s and again for 1/16th’s. This is actually an African Rhythm (RRLR….RLRR….LRRL..) played on the ‘Congas’ so you might experience a ‘hypnotic state’ or go into a ‘trance’ if you play it for longer than 15 minutes as the repetitiveness of the rhythm tends to make you hear rhythms within rhythms.

Start the ‘The Swiss Army Triplet‘ on ‘different strokes’ eg;

R L lR…R L lR.. And L lR R…L lR R..

All of the rudiments are ‘short-combination-sticking-patterns’ ( which makes them easy to remember ) that are repeated and alternated from hand-hand, and I believe the above principles should be applied ( where possible ) to gain proficiency, creativity and your own style. After you’ve practised them on the pad and as soon as you can ‘play any of them well’ at a ‘comfortable’ speed you should apply them ( where appropriate ) to the kit as grooves/fills/solos.

Don’t forget to check out ‘The Hybrid Rudiments’, some really good stuff there.

Good luck.

Henry.
CRISS CROSS RHYTHMS EXPLODE WITH HAPPINESS.
Metal Mickey
drumming adept
drumming adept
Location: I do NOT like metal, the name is a song reference - look it up

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Cheers :)
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:24 am

Metal Mickey wrote:Just wanted to ask: how vital are the 26 or 40 drum rudiments? How necessary is it to master them all before moving on?

Cheers.

Before moving on - not necessary. To access your ideas easier, necessary. Another thing is if you look at the masters like Buddy Rich for instance, he had alot of control and was able to switch sticking patterns effortlessly. Rudiments are a journey.
Richiestix
new
new

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 am

There are 26 American Drum Rudiments BUT there are are 40 according to The Percussive Arts Society's Essential Snare Drum Rudiments,

Single Stroke Rudiments
Roll Rudiments Flam Rudiments

Single Stroke Roll
Single Stroke Four
Single Stroke Seven

Multiple Bounce Roll
Triple Stroke Roll
Double Stroke Roll
Five Stroke Roll
Six Stroke Roll
Seven Stroke Roll
Nine Stroke Roll
Thirteen Stroke Roll
Fifteen Stroke Roll
Seventeen Stroke Roll

Flam
Flam Accent
Flam Tap
Flamacue
Flam Paradiddle
Single Flammed Mill
Flam Paradiddle-diddle
Pataflafla
Swiss Army Triplet
Inverted Flam Tap
Flam Drag

Paradiddle Rudiments

Drag Rudiments

Single Paradiddle
Double Paradiddle
Triple Paradiddle
Paradiddle-diddle

Ruff
Single Drag Tap
Double Drag Tap
Lesson 25
Single Dragadiddle
Drag Paradiddle #1
Drag Paradiddle #2
Single Ratamacue
Double Ratamacue
Triple Ratamacue
"Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers."
edbnyus
new
new

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:06 am

I have been playing for 30 some years and and just now learning some of the rudiment, the pataflafla and paradiddle diddle in particular. I think they are always important because they give you more ammunition in your arsenal when playing either snare drum or drum set.

Ed
Plague_Of_Man
new
new

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 am

Personallyi think rudiments are basically the blood of a drummers being. No you really can master them. mastering them would be the ability to play them in my opinion at all speeds and all heights with a consistent sound and speed. Iv been in drum corp where rudiments are all we play and even jeff queen hasnt masterd them and that says alot :) :roll: